Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

694/94 split heading east bound

Post by psubrian
Hello,

Another situation that I could use someone else to weigh-in on. The UR is here https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 46&env=usa

The issue is this: if you're driving eastbound on 694 from Brooklyn Park towards Fridley, Waze told the user to get off onto I-94 only to get right back onto 694 again - all within a 0.5 mile. And while this is possible, its not ideal in my opinion as it has them making un-necessary merges, most often during heave traffic. I also have had the same problem in the past, but not recently - or at least not that I paid attention to. It was always my theory that there was heavier traffic on 694 and therefor you could "shave seconds" off your drive by doing that.

Anyone else run into this, heard of it, or know a way to prevent Waze from even suggesting that?
psubrian

POSTER_ID:16963583

Send a message

Post by BrianBinkley
the1who wrote:The access from Shingle Creek already has it's own dedicated ramp to 694 and 94. That ramp is rather useless.
That is a very interesting observation - as I never looked that closely. Upon further inspection, I completely agree - the only way you can get onto the ramp that is in question is if you've stayed on 94 after the actual split. If accessing from Shingle Creek, that ramp splits in 2, one with its own dedicated ramp to 694 as you indicated, and the other ramp will only allow you to access 94 - there is a small median otherwise that wouldn't let you cut across all the lanes (a good thing).

I vote for someone Level 3 or higher to move access to the troublesome ramp between 94/694.
BrianBinkley
Send a message

Post by psubrian
Just as FYI, there are 2 other formally documented URs in the same area describing the same problem.
psubrian
Send a message

Post by psubrian
Yes, I drive this route every day. That being said, I'm heading out of town for a long vacation coming up so it may be 2 weeks or so until I have a chance to really test it out again. Thanks for doing that!

(and I did mean "remove", not "move" in my earlier post).
psubrian
Send a message

Post by the1who
I have a potential solution. I'd treat that ramp that routes back from 94 to 694 as a parking lot road, much like some HOV lanes I have seen setup in California. This way, if someone happens to get on that ramp, it would route from that point on. I'd even disconnect it personally near the 94 so it would be a completely prevented route.

I don't see the need for it to even be there. It seems that at one point some engineer designed that so they could do freeway work there. if needed. The access from Shingle Creek already has it's own dedicated ramp to 694 and 94. That ramp is rather useless. I'd either set it up like the HOV scenario I described or abolish it, but then you'd have tempted editors to add it if you do abolish it, so the HOV scenario makes everyone happy I think in the end. I can set it up if you want to see what I have in mind, but wanted a vote from others with some feedback first.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: vegas.waze@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra - 14.0 | Waze 4.99

Post by the1who
When you say move access, do you mean remove access from 94 with that ramp in particular?
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, Nevada State Manager and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader

Post by the1who
Brian,

Do you drive this way much?

I have disabled the routing through there as an immediate action upon my discretion at this time. I have disabled the turn to it, and I have made the segment a parking lot road, just in case someone was to still drive onto it, therefore not completely deleting a road segment that truly exists. But wondered if you drove this way enough to get the routing. If not, I'll just let the others (URs) who have gotten this message, to reference this topic reply.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Android Beta Leader