Moved: Rank 5 - Fairbault Mn

Moderators: delilush, bretmcvey, ehepner1977, the1who

Re: Rank 5 - Fairbault Mn

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:22 am

Yeah, Functional Classification by the state DOT is the way many states are going in Waze. Mostly because it helps work around deficiencies in the Waze routing engine, which applies too much weight to the road type, for selection for routing.

I'd at least head over to the Minnesota forum to discuss/bring this up. No need to keep it in PMs or other private convos.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AVdriver » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 pm

You clearly need a refresher on road types again. So here is the link I sent you back in October.USA road types. Just because MNDOT lists this as Principle Arterial, does not mean that the traffic volume and speed limit match what Waze has defined as Major Highway. Also a non-divided four lane 30MPH street should not be Major Highway.
AVdriver
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:13 pm

I think the 2 of you should get the RC in on this. One of you is following the Wiki and the other is following the FC for the state. There is talk of moving to the FC for defining the road types, and some states are already changing to that.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Bigbear3764 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Minnesota Forum page

At the top of the page, you will see how I got to it.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Moved: Rank 5 - Fairbault Mn

Postby DallasGrant » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:57 am

This section
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-93.30 ... 7,62663758

Should be a Major Highway as that is exactly what is it coded with the MN Functional Class map

http://gisservices.dot.state.mn.us/Geoc ... t_basemap#

the1who note: I have moved this for tracking in MN forum.
Area Manager for Mankato MN | Minnesota State Manager | USA Country Manager
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:10 am

I'm not sure why AVdriver keep changing what I am editing to a Major highway here ... it clearly is a Major highway in the Functional Class Map and with the fact it is a 4 lane highway here and should be recognized as a major road compared to other roads in the city with the functional class of a minor highway. I know I am labeling these correctly according to the state maps.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:19 pm

If the state of Minnesota defines this as a major highway, why shouldn't we? ... yes it is not a divided 4-lane road, but it is still a 4-lane major route through town and this is why the state defines this as a Major highway. In a city, we should define things not always based on direct rules on the wiki, but real functional class data. I don't need a refresher here at all.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:07 am

Where is the Minnesota forum ... I've been searching for it and must be looking in the wrong locations.

Even if we only looked at the Wiki here, the State Hwy 21 from where it currently is showing the Major Hwy still to where it meets State Hwy 60 should be a Major highway because it is divided and it is not a 30Mph section of road either (it is between 45-50 mph)
The same thing can definitely be said about Hwy 60 from about where it connects to I-35 to State Hwy 21 for the same reasons (it is divided the whole way, the aerial view is old) and again it is not a 30 mph section of road)
On the flip side, the Wiki would also consider Lyndale Ave south of State Hwy 21 to be a major hwy too since it is divided and does not have a speed of 30 mph either, but the state only recognizes this as a minor hwy

The way I see it, in the functional class for while in a city is very straight forward.
If the road can only be entered or exited by entrance and exit ramps then it is a freeway
Red means major highway
Green means minor highway
and purple means primary street (outside of a city this can be a minor highway or a primary street so it has to be looked at closely based more on Wiki rules ... generally yellow outside of a city is a primary street, but again it needs to be looked at closely depending on type of road)

This all make perfect sense to me since after you look at the maps, it really recognizes the major routes though a city and easily defines the next levels. A good example of this is Rochester, MN ... I have setup that city with functional class and being a person who used to live there and frequents the city a lot, the functional class system makes total sense and should prompt for better routing though the city as the maps get updated in the Waze app.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Moved Topic

Postby the1who » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:57 pm

Essentially, the old standards in February don't exist anymore. They have been overruled, obliterated and the new ones installed. There were states using the FC as the test conversion, to use for testing, to present to the other champs at the NA Meet Up. At that time, we decided to wholly adapt the FC standard to the Waze standard with a road type conversion. The current Wiki here is to be used: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA

In the main Plains forum, I have wrote a lengthy post about this. Some posts, like this, were lost in the unlock forums. Hence why I have asked for state specific questions to be addressed in their state subforum so that we could help target these issues. The unlock forum is a place for certain needs, and any further discussion will be lost. Mainly, people go skimming through for topics without replies, if there are replies, people usually just pass on. The only way to get a good discussion is to come to that state if it is state specific, or the country forums where it would be addressed nationwide.

With that being said. I can understand the confusion. Maybe some people were more in the loop, not saying they were, and some were not. All I know is that it appears certain things of the conversion were leaking out at least, and the adaptation was going on at a local level, where it wasn't really officially announced yet, not a bad thing, local users were able to adopt the conversion if they wanted, with limited roll out to help circumvent any issues if they arose and correct the small conversions.

So I hope it is all clear now of the objective, the standards, the direction in which we are going. If there is any question, please use this thread for tracking. Thanks!
Global and US Champ, USA PLN A/RC Emeritus, and US Country Manager
Android Beta Leader
Direct E-mail: waze.midwest@gmail.com

Samsung Galaxy S10+ - 9.0 | Waze 4.57.0.2
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Return to Minnesota