Question About Locking Roads

Moderators: delilush, bretmcvey, ehepner1977, the1who

Re: Question About Locking Roads

Postby AVdriver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:08 am

I agree with the locks for Freeways. As for Major, Minor highways and Primary streets i think these should be at level 2 for a majority of their length but higher locks at crucial intersections, or where acts of Map Vandalization are more likely to occur, I say this only to keep editing accessible to the masses and to generate a unlock request for the more important intersections that we can quickly find the post for and make sure these are edited correctly.
Also all Ramps leading to Freeways should be level 4 or higher.
And yes I'm still around I just have areas in other states so my edits register there instead.
AVdriver
Area Manager
Area Manager

Question About Locking Roads

Postby DallasGrant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 pm

I want to start this topic to question what people feel is a good lock standard for roads.

When I say lock standard, I mean that if a road is 100% correct ... correct name, correct functional class, correct geometry, and street numbering is correctly set in place

Here is my suggestion:

Freeways - Level 5
Major Highways - Level 4
Minor Highways and Primary Streets - Level 3
All other streets - Level 2

Let me know if everyone agrees

FYI, in areas where construction occurs, we can always lower a section to meet the needs of a user that would be best fit to monitor the construction. I say to set locks to first tell others that the road should be correct, but also to prevent lower level editors from making incorrect alterations to a road that is accurate. I do believe any road that is not 100% correct to be a level 1 for most roads and a level 3 for freeways. Freeways, I say, should always be a high level because little needs to be done to have correct as there is no street numbers to add.
Area Manager for Mankato MN | Minnesota State Manager | USA Country Manager
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Btw, right now I am also compiling a list of maps to help everyone with road naming and street numbering for each county to help everyone to know how to make the roads correct.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Sorry, I have been away the past few days. I understand the level 2 in areas of low population, but in any city I think we need to have higher locks as there should always be a level 3 or higher with editing rights for a city. I know we need to have some editing accessible to the masses, but that has major flaws in itself such as a major issue we had in Waseca this summer do to no locks anywhere in the city. I am definitely not saying all roads (aside from freeways) should be locked; rather, only roads that can be seen as correct (correct name, house numbering, geometry, and functional class).
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 pm

How about this for a formula (Only if it can be seen as correct):
If in a Township, use this standard
Private Roads -1
Dirt roads, Streets, Primary Streets, and Minor Highways - 2
Major Highways - 3
Freeways - 4

If in a city:
Private Roads and parking lots - 1 (unless we have an issue with an editor)
Dirt Roads and Streets - 2
Primary Street and Minor Highway -3
Major Highway - 4
Freeway - 5

... Now I think in some areas, we may need to go to either higher levels (if we have an issue with some editors in an area) or lower levels (if an area manager for the city is of lower ranking)

BTW, in Minnesota if you are not in a city, you are in a township.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 am

I see what you are saying, and I really don't think this would cut out low level action since the proposal I have are for roads that would not need any altering until a major construction project occurs. Most of the state would not get this level treatment because house numbering is hardly prevalent at all. Doing this would let others know that the road is to correct standards.

The only thing this would prevent for lower level editors would be the ability to bump a road to make points (meaning to move a node slightly). This action has absolutely no value in the mapping at all.

Here is one thing to consider. I have been working hard on Nicollet, Le Sueur, and Blue Earth Counties the last 3 months. I pretty much have the functional class all correct and the name of the roads in all 3 counties, but I have been working extensively in Blue Earth County the past month and a half at the geometry of the roads as well as house numbering. After a month and a half of working hard here hardly ever crossing to other areas and have only gotten to 1/3 of the county completed. It truly takes a great deal of hard work to get to any sort of level where the locks would be present. I know I have a job, kids, and a life so I can't spend all day doing edits, but I do spend a lot of time editing. It took me over 12 hours editing time just to complete Lake Crystal MN, and that is a small city ... and that was 12 hours for the house numbers and geometry ... not including the time for road names and functional class. Even at least 70% of the twin cities is not correct enough to lock.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:26 am

How close are you to being a level 3? https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Your_Rank_an ... iting_Rank

I ask because I need more Area Managers and in areas where reception is poor, we can assign an area manager would have access to these roads regardless of where they have driven.

I don't say level 3 because it is a required level, I say this because at 25k edits shows you are experienced and the1who can have a lot to go on for the quality of your edits (he is the one who makes these decisions for the area).

My big goal first for the roads to work on is functional class, road direction, and turn restrictions. If you have any questions about this step, let me know. I was pushing for functional class before it became standard on Waze.

Second is street naming. What I mean here is: does the road match the address number of any homes of the road and does it match what a user will see. We can have small alterations here such as if the hwy signs say Co Rd you can use CR instead, but if the sign and address use a street number aside from a CR description, it must be stated as such.

Third is both tied together is to set geometry and house numbers. Here is a good example of what I mean why geometry https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 677&zoom=3 ... all the roads run smooth with no jerky nodes and in this area, all house numbering and street naming is correct as well as functional class. I say geometry ties with house numbering because if you change the geometry after editing house numbers, then you need to recheck the house numbers to make sure they still represent the same area. I still group it together because house numbering to me is more important than geometry.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby jringo91 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:48 pm

As a L2 I agree with that. As I gain knowledge from other editors and realize how easy it is to edit with the validator, the toolbox, and the URO+. I think when many new editors first start editing they want to add every, PL and PLR, close URs rather than look for the real problem. I look at all UR's if it is on a freeway I just read it look into it, but realize I dont have the skills or the knowledge yet to tackle many things dealing with a freeway problem. As I read the WIKI more I gain the knowledge I am just at the point where I am going to apply for a AM spot here in the cities. Has anyone saw AVDRIVER lately, he use to always be on the top spot in the state weekly for points and I have not saw him in the rankings for quite awhile.
jringo91
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby toolmanzwief » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:30 pm

DallasGrant wrote:How about this for a formula (Only if it can be seen as correct):
If in a Township, use this standard
Private Roads -1
Dirt roads, Streets, Primary Streets, and Minor Highways - 2
Major Highways - 3
Freeways - 4

If in a city:
Private Roads and parking lots - 1 (unless we have an issue with an editor)
Dirt Roads and Streets - 2
Primary Street and Minor Highway -3
Major Highway - 4
Freeway - 5

... Now I think in some areas, we may need to go to either higher levels (if we have an issue with some editors in an area) or lower levels (if an area manager for the city is of lower ranking)

BTW, in Minnesota if you are not in a city, you are in a township.

I see these as a huge deterrent to new map editors. What is a new editor supposed to update? Long driveways in rural areas? They're never going to get to level two unless they over-map parking lot roads, which would create more work for other editors in the area.

I know I've not been here very long, but I've been doing a lot of work in Winona and Eastern Olmsted county. Many of the rural roads are from the original imported basemaps (with the driving directions wrong). If these restrictions had been in place, the only roads I would have been able to update would be private roads and parking lots; both of which were not utilized in the original basemap, and thus would have already been properly mapped by a senior mapper.

I see value in locking freeways and other heavily-traveled highways, as well as major intersections like AVdriver stated.
toolmanzwief
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby toolmanzwief » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

DallasGrant wrote:Here is one thing to consider. I have been working hard on Nicollet, Le Sueur, and Blue Earth Counties the last 3 months. I pretty much have the functional class all correct and the name of the roads in all 3 counties, but I have been working extensively in Blue Earth County the past month and a half at the geometry of the roads as well as house numbering. After a month and a half of working hard here hardly ever crossing to other areas and have only gotten to 1/3 of the county completed. It truly takes a great deal of hard work to get to any sort of level where the locks would be present. I know I have a job, kids, and a life so I can't spend all day doing edits, but I do spend a lot of time editing. It took me over 12 hours editing time just to complete Lake Crystal MN, and that is a small city ... and that was 12 hours for the house numbers and geometry ... not including the time for road names and functional class. Even at least 70% of the twin cities is not correct enough to lock.

I totally understand. It would be really disheartening to do all that work and then have a first-time editor go and mess things up. I'm in the same boat too with job/kids/life. :) The hardest part I find with mapping rural areas (especially as a L2) is that the measly 2 mile radius of editable area you get means that you have to drive nearly half the roads in the county just to fix them. Second, many of the valleys near the Mississippi River do not have cell phone reception for several miles, so Waze does not record that you've been there... makes editing impossible.
toolmanzwief
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Minnesota