Trying an experiment

Post by DallasGrant
So, the other day I wanted to test USPS standard for an address versus entering in the township address ...

I went with this section: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=81520725 as I know the house numbering is dead on. If I entered the house number, it took me right to the location set on Waze. If I entered in the USPS address (which in this area is exactly what the house owner would give me if I were driving to his or her address) took me to a location far from the address.

This is concerning to me, so I asked around with other experienced Wazers to find out some negative implications to setting residential placemarks as the proper USPS standard. The opinions that were given seemed to be a low risk, but the idea seems to never to really been done before.

So based on the lack of trial and error, I am doing an isolated test to see what happens. Just to let you know, it will be at least 2 months before I have really good information because the worst negative impact will be smudged cities. The consensus was that places do not affect the city level at all on the map; however, I have to be proven this is true.

There are a few reasons why I chose this area:
  • The USPS City is quite a distance from the actual city it represents
  • I have already been proven in multiple tests that the USPS address does not work in this area at all (it brings me to the right street, but the totally wrong address)
  • It is an area where standard house numbering is correct
I will give you feedback about this as it goes!
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:5625562

Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
This area is known as Kasota Twp on the north side and Lime Twp on the south side. I already had the streets exactly correct here for standard house numbering based on the fact the north side of the road is 490th St, and the south side is 243rd St.

Now, if you were to enter in the address using the township name, it takes you to the right address. If you instead used the USPS standard instead, you would use the city name that is actually the house mailing address. The first section of this road is labeled as being part of Kasota and the second half (After it hits Washington Twp and Jamestown Twp) is part of Madison Lake.

I created place points such as this: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 84.1382407 to define the USPS standard and to see if there are any negative impacts to this.

So far, this has worked perfectly and I have not seen any negative issues at all doing this.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
I have not done this in other areas, this is an isolated test right now... so far, I totally agree with you. We just need to give this at least a week more to prove it is not going to smudge cities ... but so far this will solve a lot of road naming issues and many other issues that can occur.
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by DallasGrant
To be honest, I have found no issues at all using this method. It worked well and I have seen no city smudging as result of this. I say this should be implicated for our users :)
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by GPP-209
Hi Dallas,

Have you done this in other areas? I was thinking that this might be a good solution for addresses that are not accessed from the named streets. We would also have better control of the points than relying on Google pins. I also love the idea of being able to supply locations for addresses based on USPS cities since that is generally what people search for.

Mike
GPP-209
Send a message

Post by GPP-209
Any word on if this has caused any problems? There is one spot I would like to use this method to fix a UR.

Thanks!
Mike
GPP-209
Send a message

Post by toolmanzwief
I'm not sure I understand. Can you give an example of what "house number" you tried versus the "USPS address"?
toolmanzwief
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message