Spring 2018 MN Wiki/ Guidelines Updates

Moderators: delilush, the1who, bretmcvey, ehepner1977

Spring 2018 MN Wiki/ Guidelines Updates

Postby tinfoilhattie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello Minnesota editors! In the spirit of continuing to review state editing standards and ensure the most consistent experience for app users & editors alike, we'd like to introduce a few new updates to statewide guidance, just published to the wiki.

In this update, we're focused on clarifying rules & preferences for our less populated areas of the state. Waze usage continues to grow, and as we get ready for what I can only hope is an awesome summer, it's more important than every to make sure lake country is as easy to navigate as the more heavily-traveled parts of our state.

While we work on some more minor updates to state guidance, we wanted to point out the most impactful changes that have are being introduced:

Wiki Update Highlights for MN

NEW: Adopting [No City] as Primary Outside City Limits

This has been a long-time point of discussion amongst MN editors & leadership. In an effort to streamline user experience & maintain regional consistency, we're adopting a preference to use [no city] on primary segments outside actual city limits. Details here:

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Minnesota#Cities_and_towns

CLARIFICATION: CR/CH Naming in Rural Areas

The discussion around primary segment naming on numbered county roads has cropped up again, particularly as it relates to addressing and navigation for 911 purposes. After much discussion, we have decided to maintain the current standard of maintaining a simple "CR-XXX" or "CH-XXX" outside city limits. Cardinal, ordinal & other alternate names should continue to be listed as alternate names with the postal city to allow for proper address search & routing.

This has now been officially published to the state wiki to avoid future confusion:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Minnesota#Proper_Naming_for_Rural_Routes

NEW: Proper Naming for DNR Public Boat Ramps

The land of 10,000-or-so lakes also seems to be the land of 10,000-or-so public water access points. Those best known points are largely DNR-maintained, and, fortunately, have published information available online.

If you come across one of these points, please add it as a "Marina" type place point along with a PLR & PLA as directed here: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Minnesota#Public_Water_Access_in_Minnesota

--

These updates are a reflection of ongoing coordination with regional leadership and represent a combination of suggestions and opinions from a number of sources, including yourselves (thank you!)

If you have a suggestion that can help make the map better for Minnesota, or if you find outdated information in the wiki that needs attention, let me know via PM.

If you have questions/ comments about the updates above, feel free to reply below.
Has anyone checked on the llamas lately?

MN State Manager
Milwaukee Area Manager
Seattle Area Manager / NWR Collab Editor

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
tinfoilhattie
State Manager
State Manager

Re: Spring 2018 MN Wiki/ Guidelines Updates

Postby JoeRodriguez12 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Thank you for writing this and clarifying these topics!

Is there a chance we can add something in the wiki to clarify the naming convention for CH vs CR. I know when i first started editing here I was not clear on which should be used where.

Something like when the GIS/FC map has County State Aid Highway use CH or CR. I noticed some of the old FC have CR signs that conflict with what is on the FC maps.

Thanks again!
CM: USA
Area Manager: MI, MN & OR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / CarPlay Tester / RBS

[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ]
Welcome Page
Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter
JoeRodriguez12
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Spring 2018 MN Wiki/ Guidelines Updates

Postby tinfoilhattie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 pm

JoeRodriguez12 wrote:Thank you for writing this and clarifying these topics!

Is there a chance we can add something in the wiki to clarify the naming convention for CH vs CR. I know when i first started editing here I was not clear on which should be used where.

Something like when the GIS/FC map has County State Aid Highway use CH or CR. I noticed some of the old FC have CR signs that conflict with what is on the FC maps.

Thanks again!

Yes! I had provided a graphic on Discord some time ago, and I thought it had also made it to the wiki, but I must have been mistaken

It's now added back here:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Minnesota#When_to_Use_CR-_or_CH-

Here's the cheat sheet:
Attachments
MN-road-signs.jpg
(104.2 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Has anyone checked on the llamas lately?

MN State Manager
Milwaukee Area Manager
Seattle Area Manager / NWR Collab Editor

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
tinfoilhattie
State Manager
State Manager

Return to Minnesota