Functional Class in Minnesota

Moderators: delilush, bretmcvey, ehepner1977, the1who

Re: Functional Class in Minnesota

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm

There has been talk about Waze possibly adding a Road Type so we can have a one-to-one match-up of FC to Waze Type, so I would suggest holding off on this for a little bit.

The big thing to remember is you want a Harmonious Road Network - where roads don't change types at random places - it helps to have a state wide map to look at and mark up.

This is the Current FC Translation we are using in CT - HOWEVER, there is a proposed change we are waiting for feedback from Waze on (for about a year). If you PM me your Gmail address I'll share with your the presentation I did last year about FC & Waze Types, the proposed change is detailed in it as well.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Functional Class in Minnesota

Postby DallasGrant » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:01 am

I am wondering if we should migrate all roads to completely the functional class system

http://gisservices.dot.state.mn.us/Geoc ... ot_basemap

Using this sequence:

Principal Arterial InterstateFreeway
Principal Arterial - Other FreewaysFreeway
Principal Arterial - OtherMajor Highway
Minor ArterialMinor Highway
Major CollectorIn a city over 10,000 people it is a primary street, outside of a city or a small city it can be a minor highway if it connects to another city (often easy to tell if it turns green when entering a city ... most of the time it will be a minor highway) or it will be a primary street
Minor CollectorUsually a primary street, but if it starts as a paved street and goes to a dirt road, then it will be a street ... also watch because sometimes it will be for a dirt road

I personally think we should even though this will make some roads major highways that the Wiki would not claim to be ... What is everyone's thought here?
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DallasGrant » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:27 am

That would be nice ... it also would be nice to see two levels for dirt roads (one for standard gravel and one for minimum maintenance)

Here in Minnesota, I don't know if I agree with CT translation ... maybe i am weird but major and minor highways have a very important role in a city.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-92.45 ... 45&env=usa

This is what I did to Rochester, Minnesota ... at first look it seems crazy, but really this is what a city should look like. Why? Well first because to a user, it will look much clearer easily making the major and minor roads in the town visible while on roads faster than 40 mph (particularly on Freeways). Next, this gives the routing more than mostly primary streets, limited minor highways, and freeways the routes. If we were to assign as the current translation above, only the major highways here would be the minor highways and everything else would be a primary street not really giving the users many choices for routing (I know that waze still is smart enough to route based on average speeds, but this should make the process even better. Obviously, a freeway still wins, but this singles out the roads that are the 4-lane higher speed roads (Major Highways), the next level higher speed major routes though town (minor highways), and the lower speed major routes were major routing should not be performed, but good for short distance routing (primary street)
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby the1who » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:11 am

The twoo dirt road suggestion has been in development since our suggestions of it in March 2013 US Meetup. Just like getting rid of the service road type. Other things have taken priority though, I'll keep you posted if I hear anything about road type changes for that part at least.
the1who
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Return to Minnesota