Ongoing map directions problem

Post by Lori_Cohen
I have driven a route for years and have watched the reorganization of an interchange. After the rerouting, the map is rarely correct. I can no longer report map problems locally or fix them myself as the map editor has been removed. A route today that is slightly different than my usual drive highlighted the problem and should be fixed for drivers who are unfamiliar with the area. This is a popular area during the Memorial Golf Tournament. Would someone contact me about how to fix the directions?
Lori_Cohen

POSTER_ID:17866563

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Hi Lori, thanks for posting here! I am familiar with the layout of this interchange, strange as it is, although I don't drive it as often as you do. I have tried to map it according to signage and pavement markings, but to do this requires somewhat complicated techniques that have not always worked in the past. We can't just restrict the cross movements, because sometimes one exit ramp is closed, and the other one is designated as a detour, and they are otherwise legal, but difficult in certain traffic situations and contrary to guide signs. Therefore, the movement from the rightmost ramp (Avery-Muirfield Dr) crossing left over to 33 W through lanes has been designated as a difficult turn and given a keep left instruction. In the same way, the movement from the 33W through traffic exit crossing right over to Avery-Muirfield Dr has been designated as a difficult turn. It has been set up this way for months, and it works when I test it.

The difficult turn avoidance is a routing option, which basically makes Waze avoid the turn unless it saves more than 3-5 minutes compared to a route without a difficult turn. Staff told me that it's turned on by default for new users, but it can be turned off. If one turns off this option, the penalty is not applied, and a difficult movement will be routed if it's faster even by a few seconds. Do you know if you turned off avoidance of difficult turns? To check, go into the app settings (the gear in the top left), and tap Navigation. On Android, check whether Avoid difficult intersections is set to Always or Never. On iOS I think it says something slightly different, like Reduce difficult turns, either on or off.

Hope this is helpful,
Michael / Kartografer
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Lori_Cohen wrote:I can no longer report map problems locally or fix them myself as the map editor has been removed.
This is true of Google Maps. They removed the Map Maker, and map problems are not easily reported. It's not true of Waze, whose reports remain crowd-sourced and whose maps are largely maintained by volunteers. Are you using Google Maps or Waze when you encounter this problem? I could reproduce it in Google Maps but not Waze.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

OK, in the case that you are using Waze and getting this routing problem, and if you have checked your settings, and difficult turn avoidance is turned on, I don't know what is causing this. It could be a GPS issue, but doesn't seem likely.

The Waze map is crowd-sourced and edited by volunteers like us. Places can be edited in the app, but roads must be edited in the map editor using a web browser, best done on a PC with a mouse. In the case of this new interchange, a few of us mapped it and maintain it. You are welcome to click this link in the editor to see whether any improvements could be made. It is locked at 5 with a junction box, but if you want to change anything, I can remove the junction box and downlock the roads, and we can work through any improvements. Another thing I did there is to keep this ramp unnamed so that, due to name inheritance if your route goes from 270 W to Muirfield Dr, from 270 you are given the instructions "Exit right to Exit 17B: Avery-Muirfield Dr" then "stay to the right to Exit 17B: Avery-Muirfield Dr," whereas if continuing on 33 the user is given "Exit right to US-33 W / SR-161 W / Marysville" then keep left to the same.

I know that the app describes difficult turns as things like left turns without traffic lights or whatnot, but it is useful in cases like this too. Really, there's no other tool that will do what we need it to do, especially when there are still frequent closures due to construction and crashes.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Last time I changed that was in January I believe. I was just explaining how it's set up now. I haven't done anything there more recently, but I think Ed made a very minor geometry change, which would not have affected routing. If you drive this daily, please take a screenshot if you get the wrong route here. You can email it to me at kartograferwaze@gmail.com
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by juankx
Moving this thread to the Ohio forum.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ldriveskier
I will pass this on to a local that understands more about that particular area, but could you please tell give us more details about what you mean by the instructions being frequently backwards? Thanks!

For reference, here is a PL to the ramps: https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env= ... ,511417321
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 4
Send a message
Last edited by ldriveskier on Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ldriveskier
Sorry about my wording! I meant a local to that area senior editor that knows the area better than myself, not than you. :lol:

I passed the message to Kartografer who lives nearby and has done a lot of work in that interchange. I can edit there, but he knows the area better (than me). Thank you so much for the excellent detailed explanation! I'm sure it will help a lot.

You are also welcome to join our editor chat in Discord if you'd like to talk more real-time with whoever is online: https://discord.me/wazeglr. I haven't seen Kartografer around yet today, but I'm sure he'll get back to you here when he has time.
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by Lori_Cohen
The interchange is in Columbus/Dublin, Ohio, USA. It's the exit ramp from I270 west/south to I33 west bound. There are two parts to the ramp. The western most lane is for Muirfield Drive and the east lane is for 33 Westbound. The instructions are frequently backwards and lead to lane change jams.

edit to add: I will copy this to the Ohio page, which I couldn't see on my phone.
Lori_Cohen
Send a message