Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum Login Status

Post by
I stay connected to the forums in a browser window. I will frequently refresh the display to see where the new messages in each forum have come in.

Sometimes - infrequently, but it happens almost daily - I will refresh and see no new message indicators, but I have received an e-mail notification that there are new messages. If I log out and then back in, all is well.

Is this a symptom of an older version of forum software? I noticed the most recent copyright at the bottom of each page is 2007.

I am using Safari 6.0.2 on a Mac Book Pro.

POSTER_ID:10697273

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:
OldGnome wrote:I wouldn't have known the difference without your explanation. Since I don't see a "stay logged on" box, I have to assume I am not using the forum login.
Alan has the forum log-in linked somewhere, but I can never remember that way of getting to it... So I go a roundabout way...
I always load up https://www.waze.com/signin/?page=http% ... 2Fforum%2F to sign in. I usually only need to do it once per day per machine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:If you use the method I posted, or the link from jasonh300, you can stay logged into the forum all the time... I use this method on my tablet to stay logged in on the forum all the time so I don't have to log into the Waze website just to check the forums...
That works fine for the forums, but if the "parent" site doesn't have you logged in, then the dashboard and wiki also make you log in, don't they?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AndyPoms wrote:True... But in the past I've experienced weird issues where I was logged out of the forum automatically, but not the main website. Since I logged into the forums this way & then the website separately, this hasn't happened...
Ah, and that's why I just log in once to the website and don't have to worry about all the others. And since my browser has my credentials saved (bad security, I know), I only have to click the login button to do so.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
It depends on how you log-in to the forum... If you use the normal Waze log-in, you will get logged out much quicker than if you use the forum direct log-in... If you use the forum's direct log-in, you can also check the "Keep my logged in" box and keep your forum log-in active even when you are automatically logged out of the Waze website (unless you click the Waze log-out at the top of the page, then you are logged out of everything)...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
OldGnome wrote:I wouldn't have known the difference without your explanation. Since I don't see a "stay logged on" box, I have to assume I am not using the forum login.
Alan has the forum log-in linked somewhere, but I can never remember that way of getting to it... So I go a roundabout way...

1) Log out of everything (logout link at the top right of the page).
2) Get back to the forum. Make sure you are logged out.
3) Try to create a new topic in any forum you have permission for
4) Log-in there, check the box.
5) Then you can log-in to Waze normally.

You will stay logged into the forum for a long time (days/weeks/months) depending on your browers cookie settings as log as you don't click logout (top right) again. You will have to log-in to Waze like you normally do, but the forum should stay...

Sorry for the delay in my response, I was halfway through typing it when we had an EAS Activation here in CT - Amber Alert...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
fvwazing wrote:
AndyPoms wrote: Sorry for the delay in my response, I was halfway through typing it when we had an EAS Activation here in CT - Amber Alert...
Ah, first things first. Thanks for the tips, everyone. And would it be an idea to have an Amber-Alert-like thing in Waze? (This is the offtopic-forum after all)
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28291
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
If you use the method I posted, or the link from jasonh300, you can stay logged into the forum all the time... I use this method on my tablet to stay logged in on the forum all the time so I don't have to log into the Waze website just to check the forums...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:If you use the method I posted, or the link from jasonh300, you can stay logged into the forum all the time... I use this method on my tablet to stay logged in on the forum all the time so I don't have to log into the Waze website just to check the forums...
That works fine for the forums, but if the "parent" site doesn't have you logged in, then the dashboard and wiki also make you log in.
True... But in the past I've experienced weird issues where I was logged out of the forum automatically, but not the main website. Since I logged into the forums this way & then the website separately, this hasn't happened...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by fvwazing
I suspect the forum is rebooted once per 24 hours. As Guri's watchdogscript still ran the forum never reached 100% per day, only 99.8%. That reboot may hamper any open sessions (I deducted the latter; correct me if I am wrong). Or your session reaches a maximum duration of 24 hours?
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
AndyPoms wrote: Sorry for the delay in my response, I was halfway through typing it when we had an EAS Activation here in CT - Amber Alert...
Ah, first things first. Thanks for the tips, everyone. And would it be an idea to have an Amber-Alert-like thing in Waze? (This is the offtopic-forum after all)
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1