iOS in the car and Waze

Post by sanitoid
Hi,

I'm curious to find out if Waze will be allowed to use with the new "iOs in the Car" feature that's being discussed. It'd be awesome to be able to use Waze on a stock vehicle navigation screen instead of my phone.

Thanks!
sanitoid

POSTER_ID:5669240

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze has previously stated publicly via press and blog that they are working with multiple vehicle manufacturers on integration. If iOS can help with that, it will only make it easier.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by katelynhurley
I use it on my phone and then plug in my phone to my car and play music. It does a good job of announcing directions over the music. So, while not entirely solving the problem, at least I'm not driving with my phone to my ear waiting to hear directions. It would be nice if the screen would reflect on the dash screen, though...
katelynhurley
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
Personally, I count more on the integration through radio manufacturers to have a short-term effect. Car manufacturers will not deliver upgrade-solutions for existing cars, I expect this only for new models.

You may have a look at Pioneer's AVH-X8500 which supports Waze on iPhone 4/5 via Pioneer's App mode, and selected Android devices. I get this installed coming tuesday :-)

Best regards,

Detlev

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by top_gun_de
This is available Technology:

Pioneer AVH-X 8500BT, the top-model without integrated navigation. You may plug in an expensive, seperately sold Nav-unit, or your iPhone with Waze.

The usage is easy: Start your car, start the Pioneer-app on your iPhone and connect the phone. The radio display a screen with all app-mode-enabled apps, and you can start Waze. Alternatively, you may start Waze before connectiong the phone.

The radio displays the Waze-GUI and accepts touch-commands for Waze. It would be possible to play music from the iPhone during navigation, but I found it easier to play music from an SD card - multitasking with app-mode is not that convenient, while Pioneer handles MP3 from SD-cards quite well.

So, navigation with Waze is greatly improved. Listening to the phone's music or surfing on the radio's screen are also available through separate apps.

What I don't like: Scrolling on the screen is badly implemented, because the radio uses an old-fashioned resistive screen, not a capacitive multi-touch-screen. Waze's target list would definitely benefit from a scroll-bar, just as Pioneer does within its own apps. Pioneer offers a capacitive screen on the App-radio, but that unit relies almost entirely on an iPhone and offers only fm-radio on its own.

[youtube][/youtube]
top_gun_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message