Apple can't handle a loss

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Apple can't handle a loss

Postby CBenson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 pm

No, Apple filed the patent application on December 28, 2011, well before the Google deal to acquire Waze. It was published by the US Patent and Trademark Office on July 4, 2013.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am

Well the application has been pending long enough to have all the claims initially rejected by the Patent Office. We'll see what happens. I agree that the claims without the rating of the route don't look particularly novel or non-obvious.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby daknife » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 am

Well regardless, with the exception of asking us to rate the route, Waze was doing this well before Apple filed it's patent. With the recent increased scrutiny of software patents I don't see this patent being awarded, due to Waze having prior art for most of the patent and the last little bit being far from innovative, asking users at the end of their route when they just want to get out of the car and go on with their day to rate a route that may have been miles long with good sections and bad sections of routing.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Apple can't handle a loss

Postby Fredo_p » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Really Apple? Really? You file this patent after Google wins the bid and purchases Waze? Seems like they had this move on stand-by in case they lost. Seems like a b*tt hurt move to me.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/04/apples-waze-like-navigation-system-creates-routes-based-on-user-ratings-real-time-accident-reporting

Mikey Campbell, Apple Insider wrote:The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday published an Apple application for a method of generating car travel routes based on user preference and crowd-sourced real-time traffic data. :roll:

Mikey Campbell, Apple Insider wrote:Much like the popular crowd-sourced navigation app Waze, which was recently acquired by Google :mrgreen: , Apple's "User-specified route rating and alerts" patent filing generates custom routing information based on user input. As described, the system pertains to cellular-enabled mobile devices with built-in GPS components, like an iPhone or iPad.
Lv 3 Area Manager: Buckeye, AZ
Fredo_p

Postby Fredo_p » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:18 am

CBenson wrote:No, Apple filed the patent application on December 28, 2011, well before the Google deal to acquire Waze. It was published by the US Patent and Trademark Office on July 4, 2013.

:oops: How I missed something as important as the filing date, I don't know. Silly me for not checking the entire article before my fingers "ran their mouth". lol

Then again it was about Apple and I'm not a big fan of them.
Lv 3 Area Manager: Buckeye, AZ
Fredo_p

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:28 pm

We've been through patent issues as well where I work. Being able to mark utilities using a handheld device for geoaccurate locations had a variety of patent pending applications from a single company trying to make a lot of money on it. In the end, you cannot patent a procedure that is basically going to be common practice for the industry. In other words, you can't patent using GPS to mark roads or allowing crowd sourcing in a navigation program because it's something that would be common practice (even if not everyone does it). Apple will lose that patent.

* Note that this is a very simplified comment on patents and there is more to it than that. It's still very unlikely that Apple would get the patent. They'd also have to show that no one else was doing the same thing before they applied for the patent.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Return to Off-topic