Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Procedure for editing global pages

Post by kentsmith9
If you find edits needed on a Wiki page that is marked as a Global page, be sure to follow the Wazopedia procedure on editing global pages.

That page also includes the complete flow diagram for the entire procedure if you are interested in learning more about it.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I must confess I'm still baffled how this process is supposed to work.

What is someone who is not a wiki master, wiki moderator or champ supposed to do to get a change to the global wiki approved? Is approval even required?

When speed limit editing was enabled in WME last November, there were several editors who proposed changes to wiki to document the changes to WME. As far as I'm aware, none of the changes have been made in the past three months.

For example, we now have this post posted a week ago, currently with no response and thirteen views.

The only place wiki masters or wiki moderators are mentioned in the Protocol for editing global pages is to say that alterations to formatting, templates, transclusions or links genarally should include oversight from the technical Wiki Master and that the Wiki Moderators will ensure that any changes which are made have followed the protocol. The protocol is silent regarding who makes the edit.

What the protocol does make clear is that consensus must be reached in the forums before an edit is made. However, I'm not sure what is required for consensus when there are few comments to a proposal and no substantive objections. I'm not understanding where the approval of the Global Wiki Masters is supposed to fit in this process. Can an editor simply propose a change to a global page in the forums and then if no one objects go ahead and make the change with the knowledge that the Wiki Moderators will monitor the Global Pages and address any improper changes?

The post linked to above is about this proposal discussed here. In reading the flow chart it seems to me we have proceeded 001>002>003>004>006>037. Now who decides if consensus has been reached? How does the average user know if 019 has happened or will ever happen? Can someone who has taken the time to draft a proposed wiki change at some point just presume that in the absence of any objections that they may proceed through 039>040>042>043? That would bring us to 022, which is in the Wiki Moderator level of the chart, but seems will never happen in this case. So should the person who made the proposal just make the change?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
This is the update that is guiding me. That's a public post is it not?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by kodi75
Are we (you) not adding this {redirect} to the rest of the major (old) wiki pages? For example,
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/State_Manager

should automatically redirect the reader to

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/State_Manager
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by stanleyte0
kentsmith9 wrote:If you find edits needed on a Wiki page that is marked as a Global page, be sure to follow the Wazopedia procedure on editing global pages.

That page also includes the complete flow diagram for the entire procedure if you are interested in learning more about it.
Hi, the <u>editing global pages</u> link https://wazeopedia.waze.com/#Protocol_f ... obal_pages does not seem to lead to actual procedures.

The Permalink guide at https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Global ... #Permalink
is a little outdated due to changes in UI. The lower right corner chain icon is now the live map icon, so that can easily confuse new users.
stanleyte0
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
CBenson wrote:I must confess I'm still baffled how this process is supposed to work.

What is someone who is not a wiki master, wiki moderator or champ supposed to do to get a change to the global wiki approved? Is approval even required?

When speed limit editing was enabled in WME last November, there were several editors who proposed changes to wiki to document the changes to WME. As far as I'm aware, none of the changes have been made in the past three months.

For example, we now have this post posted a week ago, currently with no response and thirteen views.

The only place wiki masters or wiki moderators are mentioned in the Protocol for editing global pages is to say that alterations to formatting, templates, transclusions or links genarally should include oversight from the technical Wiki Master and that the Wiki Moderators will ensure that any changes which are made have followed the protocol. The protocol is silent regarding who makes the edit.

What the protocol does make clear is that consensus must be reached in the forums before an edit is made. However, I'm not sure what is required for consensus when there are few comments to a proposal and no substantive objections. I'm not understanding where the approval of the Global Wiki Masters is supposed to fit in this process. Can an editor simply propose a change to a global page in the forums and then if no one objects go ahead and make the change with the knowledge that the Wiki Moderators will monitor the Global Pages and address any improper changes?

The post linked to above is about this proposal discussed here. In reading the flow chart it seems to me we have proceeded 001>002>003>004>006>037. Now who decides if consensus has been reached? How does the average user know if 019 has happened or will ever happen? Can someone who has taken the time to draft a proposed wiki change at some point just presume that in the absence of any objections that they may proceed through 039>040>042>043? That would bring us to 022, which is in the Wiki Moderator level of the chart, but seems will never happen in this case. So should the person who made the proposal just make the change?
Has this discussion been moved to a private forum for Champs and/or Wiki-Masters? Could we get an update for the rest of us? Carl raised some interesting questions regarding how "the rest of us" could get a change implemented. Would be nice to have a more public answer to said questions.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
So, if I'm reading that post correctly we have not been able to update any (nominated) global page since April? Even when we have pages out there with known bad data? When will this wiki editing moratorium end? (Please don't say soon™)
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by world_7l7d0zhz
Thanks for the post its also help me lot
world_7l7d0zhz
Send a message