Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby BlazeTool » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 pm

jasonh300 wrote:I've been asking the developers to make the parking lot roads much less visible in the client, so that they won't clutter up the map as much. I've also asked them to make them gray in the editor so they'll be visibly different from streets and not clutter the editor screen.

Here's hoping they do it. Personally, I'd like to see PL roads not display at all in the client and be their own layer in the editor that can be turned off. Visual clutter goes away, problem reports for parking lots can go away. Only drawbacks would be it's still data to be transferred to the client and the extra nodes could effect routing times. Not sure if there are ways to avoid that.
BlazeTool

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:57 pm

BlazeTool wrote:Here's hoping they do it. Personally, I'd like to see PL roads not display at all in the client and be their own layer in the editor that can be turned off. Visual clutter goes away, problem reports for parking lots can go away. Only drawbacks would be it's still data to be transferred to the client and the extra nodes could effect routing times. Not sure if there are ways to avoid that.

My idea was to have them display more like a Pedestrian Boardwalk displays. It's there, but barely there. If you're looking for streets on the screen, you don't even notice it.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Den_in_USA » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 pm

BlazeTool wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:I've been asking the developers to make the parking lot roads much less visible in the client, so that they won't clutter up the map as much. I've also asked them to make them gray in the editor so they'll be visibly different from streets and not clutter the editor screen.

Here's hoping they do it. Personally, I'd like to see PL roads not display at all in the client and be their own layer in the editor that can be turned off. Visual clutter goes away, problem reports for parking lots can go away. Only drawbacks would be it's still data to be transferred to the client and the extra nodes could effect routing times. Not sure if there are ways to avoid that.

I agree with everything you say. Either display parking lot roads as a ligher color, narrower line or at least allow the driver to "hide" those roads if he wants to.
Software Test Designer, CareFusion
T-Mobile| Dell Streak 5| Android 2.2.2
Den_in_USA

Postby KB_Steveo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:
BlazeTool wrote:

I agree with everything you say. Either display parking lot roads as a ligher color, narrower line or at least allow the driver to "hide" those roads if he wants to.
+1
ImageImageImage
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CrackedLCD » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 pm

I'd be all for making PL roads display like dirt roads in the client, a thin single pixel line. And they need to make dirt roads more visible so those of us in rural areas can still see them on the map. As they are now, they are thin and don't display the street name or cookies on the client. :(
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Den_in_USA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?
Den_in_USA

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?

I think it might be a problem as waze treats these differently. I believe the characteristics of parking lot segments include: a significant routing penalty when transitioning to a non-parking lot segment, suppression of jam display and suppression of MPs. You lose these features if you use dirt road. Further, dirt roads are avoided in routing if the user has that setting selected in the client.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?
Yes it would. Parking Lot Roads have special properties.
1) The suppress automatic traffic jam reports
2) They carry a heavy routing penalty to prevent routing through a parking lot (into or out of is fine)
3) They help suppress automatically generated map problems (missing road)
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Den_in_USA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
2) They carry a heavy routing penalty to prevent routing through a parking lot (into or out of is fine)

Thanks, I will not do that. Any word about wether the future parking lot roads will be displayed differently on the map? They should at least be narrower.
Den_in_USA

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:

Thanks, I will not do that. Any word about wether the future parking lot roads will be displayed differently on the map? They should at least be narrower.

I've asked the developers to make the Parking Lot Roads less visible both in the client and in the editor. My suggestion was to make them look similar to the way Pedestrian Boardwalks look in the client.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion