Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby mssusa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:04 am

AndyPoms wrote:... Expect to see something in the next few months.

Lool. That's the true Waze spirit.
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 am

daknife wrote:Time for a bump, based on this question https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33447&p=333311#p305597 in the newcommers sub-forum. It seems to me we've reached a consensus as to the limited scope of landmarks that should be emplaced. Can one of you wonderful Wiki-masters work on getting the Wiki to echo the limited list of acceptable Landmark/POI's to be placed. The question that prompted this post was about Malaysia so it wouldn't be a total answer but if we can point to a limited list in the US perhaps it can help establish a standard for limited lists elsewhere as well.

We setup Connecticut Landmark Guidelines (see link in my signature to CT Wiki) & a few of the champs have suggested we use it as a base to start a champs discussion to come up with a nationwide standard and then bring that to the rest of the user base for comments. Expect to see something in the next few months.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Daknife » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 am

Time for a bump, based on this question https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33447&p=333311#p305597 in the newcommers sub-forum. It seems to me we've reached a consensus as to the limited scope of landmarks that should be emplaced. Can one of you wonderful Wiki-masters work on getting the Wiki to echo the limited list of acceptable Landmark/POI's to be placed. The question that prompted this post was about Malaysia so it wouldn't be a total answer but if we can point to a limited list in the US perhaps it can help establish a standard for limited lists elsewhere as well.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby CrackedLCD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:33 pm

jasonh300 wrote:I've asked the developers to make the Parking Lot Roads less visible both in the client and in the editor. My suggestion was to make them look similar to the way Pedestrian Boardwalks look in the client.

Aren't road widths controlled by the schema files on the device itself? Seems like I edited one of the themes to make dirt roads appear brown and the same width as paved roads. I'll have to investigate narrowing parking lot roads and see how it looks!

Edit: I looked, I don't see anything that differentiates private and parking lot roads from anything else. Bummer.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:
bigbear3764 wrote:Editor issue. Somewhere there is a road or landmark with an improper city name. If you have the highlight script, it makes it easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an "S" displayed by itself next to a street named "S Chaparrel Ct". I cannot edit that area because it is outside of my driving range. How do I report a map problem in this area? Or can I be upgraded to edit within 10 miles of where I drive?

Post your request in the Board index ‹ Map ‹ Editing ‹ Unlock request forum. Make sure you read the post stuck to the top of the forum entitled "READ FIRST! Request instruction SUMMARY & Level 6 Requests"... Please be clear that you are requesting an update because it's outside your area...
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Den_in_USA » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 pm

bigbear3764 wrote:Editor issue. Somewhere there is a road or landmark with an improper city name. If you have the highlight script, it makes it easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an "S" displayed by itself next to a street named "S Chaparrel Ct". I cannot edit that area because it is outside of my driving range. How do I report a map problem in this area? Or can I be upgraded to edit within 10 miles of where I drive?
Den_in_USA

Postby Den_in_USA » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:46 pm

I noticed that on the map for my area there are upper case characters such as "R" and "S" showing up on the map. It seems that the map is attempting to display town names but the rest of the characters get cut off. Would this have anything to do with the Android client or is it a map issue?
Den_in_USA

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Den_in_USA wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:
Den_in_USA wrote:Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?
Yes it would. Parking Lot Roads have special properties.
1) The suppress automatic traffic jam reports
2) They carry a heavy routing penalty to prevent routing through a parking lot (into or out of is fine)
3) They help suppress automatically generated map problems (missing road)

Thanks, I will not do that. Any word about wether the future parking lot roads will be displayed differently on the map? They should at least be narrower.

I've asked the developers to make the Parking Lot Roads less visible both in the client and in the editor. My suggestion was to make them look similar to the way Pedestrian Boardwalks look in the client.
jasonh300

Postby Den_in_USA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
Den_in_USA wrote:Would it be a problem if I created a parking lot road and called it a dirt road so that it appears different on the map?
2) They carry a heavy routing penalty to prevent routing through a parking lot (into or out of is fine)

Thanks, I will not do that. Any word about wether the future parking lot roads will be displayed differently on the map? They should at least be narrower.
Den_in_USA

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion