Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby antigerme » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:07 am

jgilbrech wrote:Thanks for the answers guys. I see that i got confused on the previous page.
suppress traffic != suppress map problems

Landmarks prevent map problems to appear "under" the polygons. all except restricted turns and route frequently not taken.
antigerme
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jgilbrech » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks for the answers guys. I see that i got confused on the previous page.
suppress traffic != suppress map problems
jgilbrech

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:43 am

jgilbrech wrote:So the gas station landmark only suppresses traffic when it is snapped to the road? In what situations would this be a desirable effect?

Gas station landmarks do not suppress traffic in any way shape or form. This has been confirmed by the developers.

jgilbrech wrote:Also, I don't know who actually runs the "Waze Mapping Support" twitter account but I asked about the parking lot landmark before I came here to look.

"@WazeMapping Does the "parking lot" landmark have any use?"

"Limited use. That landmark was originally intended for public or pay lots, not every mall lot out there."

That twitter account is run by one of the U.S. Waze Champs. The information given was correct, although I think the term "mall" could be misinterpreted. There's no need or use in putting every parking lot for every little business or "strip-mall". It clutters the map.

Of course, if a "mall" as in "major shopping center" is landmarked to the property boundaries, there's no need for an additional parking lot landmark over the parking area.
jasonh300

Postby antigerme » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 pm

jgilbrech wrote:So the gas station landmark only suppresses traffic when it is snapped to the road? In what situations would this be a desirable effect?

Landmark not suppress traffic jams.
antigerme
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Wasn't it discussed and agreed already in this thread that *NO* landmark suppresses traffic? Gas Stations and Parking Lots only suppress some automatically generated reports, nothing else as far as I understood.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jgilbrech » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Also, I don't know who actually runs the "Waze Mapping Support" twitter account but I asked about the parking lot landmark before I came here to look.

"@WazeMapping Does the "parking lot" landmark have any use?"

"Limited use. That landmark was originally intended for public or pay lots, not every mall lot out there."
jgilbrech

Postby jgilbrech » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 pm

So the gas station landmark only suppresses traffic when it is snapped to the road? In what situations would this be a desirable effect?
jgilbrech

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 am

Timbones wrote:I don't see how ownership is relevant. Waze is for drivers, and parking lot landmarks should denote the tarmac on which they can park. There's no value including any other land.

At the current state on the client, landmarks are useless except for conveying some visual messages on the client to help the user identify areas on the map (except gas stations search obviously). As there are only three relevant colors AFAICS, it's only relevant to draw water bodies, green lands and others stuff with meaningful names or known designs, independently of the landmark type. Hence the discussion if a mall should have one landmark type mall, one type parking, or two separate ones. In the end it's irrelevant for me, as I refuse to write "mall name" and "mall name parking" as it would pollute the map with labels and hence one or two landmarks will be seen the same on the client. The parking information is clearly identified by the main street segments to enter and leave the park or the building in case of inside parking, not by the landmark.

Also, these kind of remarks reminds me of a common mistake (IMHO) I see a lot and struggle to educate my editors: Waze is meant to help navigating with the simples possible map segment grid (no roundabouts Y, no parallel streets, no junction trees, etc.) and, to keep in context with this thread, landmark visual cues. Waze is *not* to draw what is seen on the satellite images.

So, again, albeit I understand your (plural) points and have other cases where your comments are justifiable, in this particular case it is not, and that's why I'm picking it as an example of promoting simple visual messages on the client instead of satellite correctness: the whole shopping mall area, including the buildings and the parking lot, goes up to the freeway. On that green area there's even big billboards promoting the shopping mall. It's irrelevant if the green is a parking or not, because the park is denoted by the segments. On the other hand the area on the left side does not belong to that mall, hence why it doesn't snap there.

If I were to draw only the limits of the tarmac, the client would show an empty space up to the freeway, which for me looks ugly as hell.

And to conclude, personally I do prefer to fix up the segments around, lock when justifiable, and snap the landmarks to each node of the segment, to avoid any gaps in between. It looks much nicer and efficient on the client. As I stated before, some kind of edits should be done with the satellite layer turned off and/or by looking at the client at the same time as the editing. What is seen on the client is the only thing that matters!
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am

I don't see how ownership is relevant. Waze is for drivers, and parking lot landmarks should denote the tarmac on which they can park. There's no value including any other land.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Wolfeye » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm

AndyPoms wrote:HOWEVER,
Unholy wrote:Gas stations and parking lots landmarks do suppress the creation of map problems
So, the guideline not to snap them to a road is a valid one.

What kind of map problems are you talking about?
Wolfeye

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion