State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Moderator: Unholy

Postby banished » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 am

Does adding an alternate name, such as in the old I- xx format, have any impact?

I don't know the answer, either, but perhaps worth investigating.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:07 am

We know we'll have shield control pretty soon based on data structure. WazeBar for Safari displays this info when present in the data.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:33 pm

The change was made nearly a year ago. Most of the southeastern US has been updated to have the spaces removed and the shield display is very consistent. When you make the change, the shields will go away for a little while, but eventually will come back.

The old convention with the space will still show a shield also.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 am

Obviously for California, we'll just have the client read and display "The" and a number regardless of the type of highway. :lol:

Seriously though, it has been mentioned elsewhere that the display would always show a shield. This would include in the step-by-step directions, as Sketch illustrated in a mockup somewhere in the wiki. Those shields could even be specific to the state, rather than the standard black and white oval.

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Postby rbthomp76 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:07 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:So what would "consistent with the state's approach" mean in TN where State Routes are defined under the State Highway code of law, the DOT puts up signs that say "SR-xx" for detours, and lay people seem to generally use "Highway xx" with no distinction for US vs. state? ;) :lol:

Not sure what to tell you there. Agreement among the area AMs I guess... (Might be easier to change local's minds :lol: )

For MS, our MDOT has a state highway map that specifically defines them as highways. Guess we are lucky in that regard.

Our locals refer to everything as highway as well, typically with a direction attachment that only makes sense to locals. (I.e. Highway 13S ... And I'm not talking about southbound lane either)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbthomp76

Postby rbthomp76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm

My statement was one against using route in place of highway in states where they are officially know as highways. I realize that some states use routes and some use highways. I think that Waze should use the naming that is consistent with the state's approach and not a overall national approach.

And yes, there should be a differentiation between state and US highways.

rbthomp76

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Calling them "Highway ##" is too ambiguous and you're not likely to find any map or GPS that does that.

Having lived in Mississippi, my experience is that most people know the difference between a state highway and a US highway and an interstate and the ones who honestly don't have never traveled outside of the county they were born in and aren't likely to ever need GPS navigation anyway. As time progresses, there are fewer and fewer of those people.

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Postby rbthomp76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm

I find it odd that Waze would call roads one thing when the locals call them another. Specifically, our state highways are called highways here in Mississippi. As such, IMHO, changing them to state routes will only cause confusion on the drivers part. I'm fairly sure that my Garmin calls them highways. (Of course, different parts of the country have different customs.)

rbthomp76

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:53 am

All US highways in Louisiana and Mississippi (and I believe throughout Banished's realm) have been converted to the US-## format for nearly a year. It works well. But it won't generate shields. When we talked about it, we were told that they could add that naming convention to the existing shield generator, which never happened. Then there was talk of a way of manually generating shields in the editor which also never happened.

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 am

I'm kinda okay with this. In Oregon, all routes are referred to verbally as "highway" though.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion