Update Request Common Issues

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Update Request Common Issues

Postby troyv » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Ahhh... IGN... There are two types of pins in WME - URs & MPs. URs are user submitted and have the smile face on them. MPs are system detected issues and are just the pin.

MPs should not be marked "Not Identified" (so IGN doesn't show up and build a parking lot). Marking URs "Not Identified" is fine.

This is exactly the kind of information I need. I am wanting to clean up some of the exclamation marks on the map, both the UR and MPs, but I need to know when to do what.

BTW, I am an AM, but probably one in need of better training :)
troyv
State Manager
State Manager

Postby ArlenBystander » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 pm

The thing to remember when looking at MPs is that it's just Waze indicating there might be a problem but isn't necessarily something that needs to be changed. "Missing road" MPs that go through a small parking lot, "most users didn't follow the suggested route", or "roads too far apart" at a properly configured intersection most likely don't need more than verifying there are no problems and marking the MP solved (as long as you're sure it's right).

As Andy said, do not mark MPs as not identified. That just rattles the IGN cage which can cause more harm than good. If in doubt, leave it for someone else to look at, contact another editor, or post a question in the forums.

As far as URs go, I see no problem marking them unidentified if there is insufficient information whether that be lack of suggested/driven route traces or lack of user input. The "not identified" button will send an email to the reporting user saying more information is needed and point them to the forums.

Also, something to keep an eye out for UR pins that are sort of MPs. You'll see "waze automatic" (or similar) in the description. I seem to recall (haven't seen one lately) that these get generated when Waze thinks the city/state/country assigned to the segment is incorrect but there may be other cases.
CM: USA / AM: Chicago & suburbs / WME βeta Tester
Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Road types/USA | Illinois Mapping | IL Functional Class Map
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby troyv » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:07 pm

ArlenBystander wrote:The thing to remember when looking at MPs is that it's just Waze indicating there might be a problem but isn't necessarily something that needs to be changed. "Missing road" MPs that go through a small parking lot, "most users didn't follow the suggested route", or "roads too far apart" at a properly configured intersection most likely don't need more than verifying there are no problems and marking the MP solved (as long as you're sure it's right).

As Andy said, do not mark MPs as not identified. That just rattles the IGN cage which can cause more harm than good. If in doubt, leave it for someone else to look at, contact another editor, or post a question in the forums.

As far as URs go, I see no problem marking them unidentified if there is insufficient information whether that be lack of suggested/driven route traces or lack of user input. The "not identified" button will send an email to the reporting user saying more information is needed and point them to the forums.

Also, something to keep an eye out for UR pins that are sort of MPs. You'll see "waze automatic" (or similar) in the description. I seem to recall (haven't seen one lately) that these get generated when Waze thinks the city/state/country assigned to the segment is incorrect but there may be other cases.

Thank you, excellent information! And it's information that I could see going on a wiki for others to quickly find out about ;)
troyv
State Manager
State Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 am

OK. I have gone through the Wiki and updated the two articles on the automated map problems and the user generated update requests. I have cross linked the articles to each other to ensure users understand they are different types of issues and to help people find them. I have also created a number of internal Wiki redirects to enable people to find either list with a number of different search terms.

I would appreciate if anyone can think of a search term to find either of these two articles that do not reach them, please report them so we can create a redirect for them to help less experienced Wiki searchers. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:04 am

So if I search for MP or UR I get nothing. :)
No page title matches
There is no page titled "MP".

No page title matches
There is no page titled "Map problem".

No page title matches
There is no page titled "User Reported Problem".
Showing below up to 20 results starting with #1.

These are a few that I thought of :)
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:56 am

jemay wrote:MP, UR, "Map problem", "User Reported Problem".
These are a few that I thought of :)

PERFECT Feedback! Fixed!

Unfortunately our Wiki is not smart enough to look for the same entry with and without the plural element, so we have to remember to add all possible combinations of how a user might search for something. The acronyms I had not considered before you mentioned them, but have them now.

If anyone else can think of how they might look up these two elements and don't find them please let me know. That goes for ANY other topic as well; we have a forum topic if anyone thinks of any term not found.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Update Request Common Issues

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:43 am

UR stands for Update Request. Make sure that's in there too.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 am

What about "Map Issue"? That is what the button in the client is labeled.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm

jasonh300 wrote:UR stands for Update Request.

Yes it is thanks to jemay's suggestion. I also have it in the glossary.

AndyPoms wrote:What about "Map Issue"? That is what the button in the client is labeled.

Added. It was present on the Update Request page, but the Wiki could not see it so that is why we need to create all these redirects for the terms. I also added it to the glossary.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm

No page title matches
There is no page titled "terms".

Term = Glossary?
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion