mapcat wrote:...IDK, but it seems that the overwhelming presence of one standard in the basemapped roads would indicate a standard, or at least a starting point. ...
This was my feeling as well. The basemap seemed to have a fairly uniform standard for states as "State Route" and "State Hwy" with other variations like just "Hwy." No doubt there was additional local variation. From the discussions at the Meetup 2012 around naming and shields (because they seemed connected in main and alternate fields), I perceived (not a decision) to move to SR-XXX for them all. I realize there has been an evolution of all those discussions. I researched the local NM naming of Highway versus Route and found no consistency of definition. Now we see a divergence of naming from shields, which is fine, but has an altered implication of urgency (from the Meetup) that it doesn't matter what we name the main and alt fields because shields will not source from that data.
While I have an opinion, I really don't care which standard is used, but we need one. It would seem we should come to an informed consensus across a majority of the states with everyone weighing in. Here are some of the principles that seem key. Please update/extend:
(1) Shields will generate from a data layer separate from names.
(2) What is the purpose of the alternate name field? In which way should it be used? Waze has certainly invested GUI time on making this work. We should know their intent.
(3) The TTS has an impact on this decision because SR is pronounced State Route, as far as I know (not State Road or some other things).
(4) There is a app display issue to consider here. "State Route XXX" takes a lot more space on the display than "SR-XXX" or some other abbreviation. Is that important?
(5) Is the basemap original standard set (full name or abbreviated) of any value in this discussion, or is it just ancient information?
(1) Should there be a uniform cross-USA standard in naming State Route, State Highway?
(2) Should there be a standard for County Road, such as CR-XXX?
(3) Should there be a state-by-state standard, like NC-XXX for each state?
(4) Should the state-by-state name also exists in the name or alt name fields along with SR-XXX or whatever standard is picked?
(5) For future shield generation layer, can we get different artwork for each state to coincide with the road signs?