Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 am

DG567 wrote:The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....

Large out of town supermarkets are the exception to the 'no businesses' rule as they are large, prominent 'landmarks' which rarely change brands.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm almost positive there's a setting that can be altered in the preferences file to change how landmarks are shown. But I would support a menu option to turn them all on or off.

We're not supposed to landmark businesses in the US, yet now gas stations show up because they're part of the landmark layer now. That's one thing I wish could be hidden. Judicious use of the landmark feature is sort of ruined by having so many gas station landmarks at busy intersections.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:31 am

DG567 wrote:Yes, that's true, but at the moment Waze shows landmark labels in the distance in 3d view. "Such and such senior school" or "Whatever town country park" are long strings of text to have floating around the top of the map.
Perhaps the answer is to change the way Waze displays landmark labels, or to have them as an optional layer, then editors can add them at will without detracting from the basic function of providing clear navigation instructions.

I have no problem with landmarks being optional for display in the client. But as far as the labels go, if people aren't landmarking everything, those long labels really aren't a problem. They wrap and you're unlikely to see more than a few at any given time as long as the editors are not landmarking everything. The text tends to be clear enough from other text that it doesn't really affect the ability to see the map or road names or usability of the app. In any case, that's no reason not to map the landmarks.
Riamus

Postby sketch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm

DG567 wrote:I disagree. Waze is a GPS guided system. It does not tell you to turn after a particular landmark.
I don't believe we'll ever reach a consensus on standardisation. The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....

Many editors already have reached a consensus on standardization, at least in the US. Editors who either don't read or don't follow the rules, landmarking every business they see, are not a reason to landmark nothing at all.

Look on any other GPS guided system and you will see parks and monuments marked on the map.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DG567 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, that's true, but at the moment Waze shows landmark labels in the distance in 3d view. "Such and such senior school" or "Whatever town country park" are long strings of text to have floating around the top of the map.
Perhaps the answer is to change the way Waze displays landmark labels, or to have them as an optional layer, then editors can add them at will without detracting from the basic function of providing clear navigation instructions.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Riamus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Users are not required to use navigation. They are free to drive using just the map. At which point, yes, landmarks are useful.
Riamus

Postby DG567 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm

sketch wrote:There are plenty good uses for landmarks—generally for large and/or important things, like parks, schools, shopping malls, and government buildings; things people regularly use for navigation.

I disagree. Waze is a GPS guided system. It does not tell you to turn after a particular landmark.
I don't believe we'll ever reach a consensus on standardisation. The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:52 pm

DG567 wrote:I think there is very little need for landmarks. Waze is good at finding locations and the hideous name labels that can be seen floating on the horizon as one is driving around is, IMO, ugly, distracting, unprofessional and are not standardised.

There are plenty good uses for landmarks—generally for large and/or important things, like parks, schools, shopping malls, and government buildings; things people regularly use for navigation. ("It's on Veterans Highway, right across from Lakeside Mall." or "Turn right past the high school and go three blocks.") Things that are not included are things that are best served only by POIs, like Best Buy or Buffalo Wild Wings.

"Not standardized" is not a good reason to get rid of all landmarks. It's a good reason to standardize landmarks. Which is exactly what we're trying to do here.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Landmarks are fine when not overused. Too many are marking every single business, which isn't correct. That's why you see a mess. When only the items listed here are marked, it doesn't look bad at all.
Riamus

Postby DG567 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm

I think there is very little need for landmarks. Waze is good at finding locations and the hideous name labels that can be seen floating on the horizon as one is driving around is, IMO, ugly, distracting, unprofessional and are not standardised.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion