Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Construction Zones (Road Naming (USA))

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

If the parentheses are not pronounced at all, I'm fine with this.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 pm

We are suggesting this change for all roads under construction, regardless of whether they are closed/disconnected or not?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm

I find "Construction Zone" and "Under Construction" too similar and we should just pick "Construction Zone" to be a melding of the two ideas. "Closed" can mean just that, regardless of the reason.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 pm

• A construction zone is drivable (connected) with potential delays, hazards, detours including lane closures, and scheduled overnight closures.
  • A closed road is not drivable (bridge out, wash out, rebuild, security concerns, etc) and might or might not being undergoing repairs. If permanent, then the road is effectively disconnected.
  • Under construction means that a new segment will open in the future as a drivable road but until then, it is not drivable. It could be connected to the roadway with a scheduled restriction.
dbraughlr

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:10 am

sketch wrote:We have also been using "Street Dr CLOSED" for total closures; I would recommend "Street Dr (Closed)" for consistency.

When do we have streets closed for months when it is not for construction? Per guidelines we are only supposed to rename roads:

Wiki on Road closures wrote:Disconnect road segments - In general it is not recommended to disconnect road segments unless roads are permanently being disconnected. However, this method has been for longer term construction projects while waiting for the scheduled restrictions feature. This procedure also includes renaming the road to note the construction information that will appear on the client app helping local drivers see why they are not being routed through that area.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 am

Sketch, I read through your changes and decided to revert all of them. :twisted:

:lol: Just kidding.

They look great. Also thanks for correcting the title case on the sections. Many people don't realize we are following the style guide for Wikipedia which says section names should not be title case, only sentence case.

Note that when you change a section name, there may be dependencies on that current name that get broken after you save. You can review all possible links to the page from the "What links here" in the left column of the page after you edit it. Good news is if you miss any links, you still end up on the page, but for large pages like this one, the user is dumped at the top. Not smooth, but hopefully the user recognizes to check the ToC in front of them. I am fixing some of they key ones now.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 am

qwaletee wrote:You can keep any links to old TOC entries by using an "anchor" when you change the name. Do it as follows

==Old name==
Blah

becomes

==Revised name==
{{Anchor|Old name}}

Actually this is a very good point that is commonly forgotten.

I think I will put in a Wiki Style Guide sticky linking to all the key Wikipedia guidelines we have been following and discussing in the individual threads to make it easy on everyone to find.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:55 am

You can keep any links to old TOC entries by using an "anchor" when you change the name. Do it as follows

==Old name==
Blah

becomes

==Revised name==
{{Anchor|Old name}}
Active in New York and New Jersey (USA)
qwaletee
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:55 am

I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?
qwaletee
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 am

sketch wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I think the new guidance is good, but we have thousands of roads mapped under the old CONST ZN. Wouldn't it make sense to add it to the supported abbreviations?

If "adding it to the supported abbreviations" were at all a simple task, it would have been done years ago. But Waze is not receptive to changes in the way TTS works. It took us about a year to get a pause for every slash, and I don't think they've made any changes to TTS since then.

Validator includes a search function now which would allow us to find any "CONST ZN" that needs to be changed. Consistency throughout localities is more important than consistency throughout the country, so it should be sufficient. It's not gonna be a big deal if one city hasn't caught up where another has.

Thanks for the note about anchors; I'll keep that in mind.

Unfortunately, Validator is only as comprehensive as the viewing/editing habits of those who use it. There are probably hundreds of long-finished road projects that still say CONST ZN because nobody bothered to update them, and there will probably be a similar number that deserve to stay using the new naming. Oh, well. Waze editing is very short on "global tools" like that.
qwaletee
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion