[New Page Proposal] Places

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page Proposal] Places

Postby nzahn1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:
irowiki wrote:Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
I've just started building a list for Baltimore, I could open it up to nationwide comment if desired.

We should always be starting with national conventions.

I agree, but I didn't want to be so bold as to assume that my ideas were fit for the whole country, or that conventions that I've generated apply to everyone. That said, the list is linked below, and anyone can feel free to comment, add ideas, and populate it further. Every once and a while I will sort it based on name (when no one is editing).
ImageWaze Naming Conventions
nzahn1
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 pm

nzahn1 wrote:Waze Naming Conventions

The only thing that stood out for me was the fire dept. I think I've seen Waze references to identifying the station, e.g., "Fire Station No. 10". I like it, doesn't take that much more space and conjures up images of the dalmation and the iconic hat :)

It might also be good to make explicit the convention that we do not apply street-naming abbreviations to Place names, nor abbreviate anything that is not customarily abbreviated. So, Doctor Saint James Place Avenue Airport could be Dr. St. James Place Avenue Airport, but not Dr. St. James Pl Ave Arprt.

Perhaps Place naming conventions deserves its own thread? This one's getting a bit unwieldy...
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby vectorspace » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 pm

nzahn1 wrote:I know this technically is a World-related thread, but I had a USA-related Places question:
Are we going to be releasing naming guidelines for places as well?

For example: Should every school have "school" at the end of the name, or is Elementary, Middle, Jr. High, or High enough? e.g. "Woodbridge Elementary School" vs "Woodbridge Elementary."

I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.

In absence of that guidance, I had considered from another thread (a long time ago) that client screen space was at a premium and we needed to abbreviate some things. I went to naming schools with ES for Elementary School, MS for Middle School and HS for High School, of course with the name before that abbreviation.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby sketch » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 am

I don't like the school abbreviations or truncations. Space is at a premium in the "next instruction" nav box, not so much on the map — dynamic name visibility takes care of that. While leaving "School" off of "Jefferson Elementary" might make sense, "Detroit Waldorf" doesn't make sense to the unacquainted. "St. Martin's Episcopal" looks more like a church.

In the same vein, HS is readily identifiable, but MS and ES not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ScottZane » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:36 pm

It would seem to me that using whatever wording is found on any signage at the affected locations would be the most appropriate, just as that is what is suggested for naming of freeway ramps, street name signs, etc.
ScottZane

Postby egnralnc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Quick question about a point of confusion in the Places wiki page. Note: I've search this thread and saw no specific discussion on this topic.

In this image https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/File:Wme_places_mall_area_and_points.png , it is implied that shopping center "area place" covers only the building footprint.

However, later in the Places wiki page, it says (in regards to parking lots in shopping malls) "If an entire complex warrants an Area Place, any associated parking may be included within its boundaries; for example, a Shopping Mall Area Place with dedicated parking could include all stores and parking associated with the mall." That would imply that the Area Place covers not only the building footprint, but the parking lots as well. My understanding of the direction I've been given is to place areas out to the "fence line" and not to use building footprints, which, implicitly would include parking for almost all shopping malls and centers in the U.S.

So, which is right? Both? If building footprint should not be used, why do we have an image that shows it?

Regards, Eric.
ImageImageImage
Homebase: NW Raleigh & RTP NC
Extended areas covered: Greenville SC, Lincolnton/Denver NC
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3
egnralnc

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm

egnralnc wrote:In this image https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/File:Wme_places_mall_area_and_points.png , it is implied that shopping center "area place" covers only the building footprint.

However, later in the Places wiki page, it [implies] that the Area Place covers not only the building footprint, but the parking lots as well. My understanding of the direction I've been given is to place areas out to the "fence line" and not to use building footprints, which, implicitly would include parking for almost all shopping malls and centers in the U.S.

So, which is right? Both? If building footprint should be used, why do we have an image that shows it?

The same wiki paragraph you quoted also says "Be sure this complies with local editing conventions before doing so." Therein lies the rub.

My understanding is that some countries other than the US prefer to map just building footprints, while in the US it is generally preferred to map to the property fenceline, thus including all associated parking. However even in the US it is not unusual to find building footprints only mapped. It's never been clear to me if that's due to regional differences within the US.

I too noticed that the Places wiki uses the (European?) style of building-footprint-only in its shopping mall Area Place example. It would be good to have further clarity on this. Perhaps the image caption could identify it as a (European? British?) style? Or perhaps the US perspective on this is shifting towards footprint-only? I don't know.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 pm

I just imported the preamble text from the obsolete US landmark wiki into the Places wiki, with very heavy editing. The result is two additional paragraphs at the beginning introducing Point Places and Area Places. I hope these are OK and welcome corrections.

Edit: I can see already there is a potential issue, the preamble and the table say gas stations should be areas, but there is a figure between them that illustrates a gas station as a point. The accompanying text calls it a "Point Area"...?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Because consensus on the question of "footprint or fence line" doesn't seem well established, and because Places provides an opportunity at this time to seek a global approach, I have started a separate thread to explore it:

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=90730
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby SeZAKxing » Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Is this where I can suggest adding "Auto Parts Store" to "Car Services" ?
(random character guy)
Area Manager in VA; Charlottesville to Fork Union
SeZAKxing
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion