[New Page Proposal] Places

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page Proposal] Places

Postby ScottZane » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:36 pm

It would seem to me that using whatever wording is found on any signage at the affected locations would be the most appropriate, just as that is what is suggested for naming of freeway ramps, street name signs, etc.
ScottZane

Postby sketch » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 am

I don't like the school abbreviations or truncations. Space is at a premium in the "next instruction" nav box, not so much on the map — dynamic name visibility takes care of that. While leaving "School" off of "Jefferson Elementary" might make sense, "Detroit Waldorf" doesn't make sense to the unacquainted. "St. Martin's Episcopal" looks more like a church.

In the same vein, HS is readily identifiable, but MS and ES not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vectorspace » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 pm

nzahn1 wrote:I know this technically is a World-related thread, but I had a USA-related Places question:
Are we going to be releasing naming guidelines for places as well?

For example: Should every school have "school" at the end of the name, or is Elementary, Middle, Jr. High, or High enough? e.g. "Woodbridge Elementary School" vs "Woodbridge Elementary."

I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.

In absence of that guidance, I had considered from another thread (a long time ago) that client screen space was at a premium and we needed to abbreviate some things. I went to naming schools with ES for Elementary School, MS for Middle School and HS for High School, of course with the name before that abbreviation.
vectorspace

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:16 pm

nzahn1 wrote:Waze Naming Conventions

The only thing that stood out for me was the fire dept. I think I've seen Waze references to identifying the station, e.g., "Fire Station No. 10". I like it, doesn't take that much more space and conjures up images of the dalmation and the iconic hat :)

It might also be good to make explicit the convention that we do not apply street-naming abbreviations to Place names, nor abbreviate anything that is not customarily abbreviated. So, Doctor Saint James Place Avenue Airport could be Dr. St. James Place Avenue Airport, but not Dr. St. James Pl Ave Arprt.

Perhaps Place naming conventions deserves its own thread? This one's getting a bit unwieldy...
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby nzahn1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:
irowiki wrote:Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
I've just started building a list for Baltimore, I could open it up to nationwide comment if desired.

We should always be starting with national conventions.

I agree, but I didn't want to be so bold as to assume that my ideas were fit for the whole country, or that conventions that I've generated apply to everyone. That said, the list is linked below, and anyone can feel free to comment, add ideas, and populate it further. Every once and a while I will sort it based on name (when no one is editing).
[ img ]Waze Naming Conventions
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

nzahn1 wrote:
irowiki wrote:Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
I've just started building a list for Baltimore, I could open it up to nationwide comment if desired.

We should always be starting with national conventions.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:10 pm

nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby irowiki » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
irowiki

Postby nzahn1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:59 pm

irowiki wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.
I agree with this, but what about say, parks? Labeling a park landmark with "Brookside" or "Brookside Park", what would look better?
Hence the need for naming conventions; and I feel like this should be a nationwide debate rather than by state.
As for parks, I'd say "park" is needed for the name to make sense.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby irowiki » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:52 pm

nzahn1 wrote:I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.

I agree with this, but what about say, parks? Labeling a park landmark with "Brookside" or "Brookside Park", what would look better?
irowiki

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion