[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby chucksways » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:47 am

I'm sure someone is already on this, but the Edits to avoid (USA) parking lot area section needs to be updated slightly to align with the latest guidance to map all lots.
chucksways

Postby dfortney » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 pm

DwarfLord, this has become my favorite wiki page, and the go-to page for referring (mostly novice) editors.

Suggestion: Add a section on two-segment loops -- the section from junction style guide would be appropriate here as well https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... ment_loops

I thought about one-segment loops, and don't think it really belongs in an "edits to avoid" page, as it is not easy (if it's possible at all) to add one-segment loops.

Thanks!
dfortney
State Manager
State Manager

Postby voludu2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:44 pm

I agree. That section can probably be cut down. The current wording really does make it sound as though we have some very autocratic "very senior" editors. That would be a big negative for our community.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby Machete808 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Yes, that guidance is ambiguous, and the changes recommended above sound much better. (What, for example, is a "senior editor"? R6, or R5?)

I like conveying the notion that such changes should not be made without consultation with the editor involved in creating/editing that particular Place. We don't need to be in a heated rush to make such changes, so consultation is good.
Machete808
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby voludu2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:29 pm

Seems more or less reasonable. If the state or region has a policy different from the US policy posted on the places wiki page, it should be so stated in the state's or region's wiki page. Even if it refers the reader to the forum or some other resource.

In that first paragraph, I might suggest
First, ensure you are familiar with local standards for Area Places. Some states or regions might follow slightly different guidelines for Area Places.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 pm

The section of the Edits to Avoid (USA) article regarding Misuse of Area Places refers to a very senior editor who asks that all Area Places be left untouched, even if they violate the wiki.

It never felt right to me to advise new editors that just one "very senior editor" could unilaterally require that wiki-violating Area Places be left permanently on the map for all editors and Wazers to see forever. But this person was adamant and had the highest possible community credentials, and nobody else seemed too concerned about it. Thus the language in Edits to Avoid.

I recently found that there have been some changes to who has what credentials, and I would like to revisit this part of Edits to Avoid. Instead of the following language...

In at least one region a very senior editor asks that all Area Places be left untouched. If you are editing in such a region simply leave all Area Places exactly as you found them even if they violate the wiki. In other regions a senior editor may wish to be informed before you significantly modify any Area Place.

If you are not editing in such a region, and if the Place would be correct and compliant as a Point Place, convert it to a Point Place and adjust its location for best routing. Otherwise, delete it.

Always, before removing or modifying an Area Place, take a moment to consider how much effort went into its creation. Do not modify a complex Area Place, even a non-compliant one, without first sending the author a link to this article via PM and allowing him or her considerable time, perhaps several weeks, to modify or remove it. In the rare case of disagreement, contact an area manager or local Champ.

...I would like to propose this language (no change to third paragraph):

First, ensure you are familiar with local standards for Area Places. Some regions, formally or informally, relax some of the wiki's constraints on Area Places. See your state page for details, or check with an Area or State Manager.

If an Area Place does not satisfy global or local guidelines for Area Places, but it would be correct and compliant as a Point Place, convert it to a Point Place and adjust its location for best routing. If it would not be correct or compliant even as a Point Place, remove it.

Always, before removing or modifying an Area Place, take a moment to consider how much effort went into its creation. Do not modify a complex Area Place, even a non-compliant one, without first sending the author a link to this article via PM and allowing him or her considerable time, perhaps several weeks, to modify or remove it. In the rare case of disagreement, contact an area manager or local Champ.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:09 pm

The changes to the Walking Trails section of the Edits to Avoid (USA) article have been made.

Thank you for your support :D
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:07 pm

An editor reading the following segment at the end of the Walking Trails section apparently may have understood this to mean "never delete complex efforts, even if they are noncompliant":
Edits to Avoid (USA) wrote:Before removing it, however, consider how much effort went into its creation. Do not modify a complex effort by an active editor, even if it is non-compliant, without first sending the author a link to this article via PM and allowing him or her considerable time, perhaps several weeks, to modify or remove it.

I would like to clarify this with the following change:
Proposed change wrote:In the case of complex work by an active editor, if it is noncompliant it will still need to be modified or removed. First, however, please attempt contact with the segments' creator and include a link to this article. Common courtesy and community spirit require that he or she be alerted and given a generous opportunity to respond.

Also, a minor change to the same section. The following wording has been the source of some confusion:
Edits to Avoid (USA) wrote:Does the Walking Trail appear intended for routing over a maintained dirt road drivable by at least a 4X4? Then change the road type to Dirt Road / 4X4 Trail. If the dirt road is rarely driven and inaccessible to most drivers, such as a major fire road only used by forest-service personnel, disconnect it from the road network. If the dirt road is gated but driven frequently to and from destinations, Private Road may be a more appropriate road type.

I'd like to change it as follows:
Proposed change wrote:Does the Walking Trail appear to indicate a road intended and maintained for common use by street-legal motor vehicles? Then change the road type to an appropriate drivable road type, and if the road is available for driving only to a handful of officially-authorized personnel, such as emergency or fire crews, be sure it is disconnected from the road network.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:14 am

Made some inconsequential fixes to the Douglas Adams subpage.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:40 pm

I'm just getting caught up, so a belated "you are awesome, man" to DwarfLord, for the now even better Edits to avoid (USA).

You might consider playing with some expand/collapse code Deeploz has used.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion