[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby Kobes1878 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:08 am

DwarfLord wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Responding to error reports (UR) is safe as long as the editor is aware of UR etiquette and has someone to ask for help if it turns out the problem is not one they can figure out how to solve.

That's a great point, the "What should I edit, then?" section could use a lot more positive suggestions and general advice on where (and where not) to focus.

This is a great addition. Thank you DwarfLord!
For the "where should I edit, then?" bullet list, what about adding
  • Alert an editor working an an open UR if you have information that can help solve the report.
  • Adding/updating important information (landmark name, address, city name etc.) to EXISTING point or area places.
I'll try to think of more "safe" edits. I concur that we need as many positive points in here as possible, so junior editors don't get discouraged.
ImageImageImageImageImage
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! They have been incorporated.

I'm continuing to add example images and links throughout the wiki.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 pm

As I said earlier, this page is looking really good and I am impressed with how it is turning out. Also do not take the length of my comments here negatively. The length is to help tech others who will come after us in understanding some of the Wiki guidelines we have adopted. :D

1. I was thinking about the layout of each section. It is sometimes hard to see the solution in each section. What about using something like we used on the WME Error page.
    Wiki wrote:Explanation: Sometimes roundabouts get corrupted from prior edits making further changes very difficult.
    Solution: For simple parking lot roundabouts, it is usually fastest to delete the roundabout and recreate it with the changes you require. If it is part of a highway, deleting it will lose traffic flow history, so you may need to go to the forums for some troubleshooting assistance on the issue from more experienced editors.

With this layout we don't need to use italic for such large sections of text. That is generally discouraged as reading italic font is harder on some people. Also the bold font is not a heading, just bold in that section.

2. I think it would be good to add a very short section (one or two sentences) after the "Incorrect edits are..." section.
    == Overall editing guidelines ==
    Some editors have not had an opportunity to read through the editing procedures discussed in the Waze Map Editor documentation. In many cases, that documentation helps new editors much more than they realize. Be sure to check it out.

3. Each section should link back to the WME manual or applicable style guide page that gives the detailed guidance for that issue. The basic information would be on this page and the details would be left to the manual or style guide. That would:
    • enable this page to be shorter and not look so intimidating
    • prevent maintenance of data in two different places if (when) it changes

4. Normally on a Wiki page you only Wikilink a section at the first occurrence. In the case of this page I think we want to error on the side of over-linking. I say this because many new editors will be sent to a single section and will not have read the whole page all the way through. The Wikilinks will provide the additional information they would need as if that section was the only thing on the page.

5. Many of the sections use the term "wiki" when referencing a specific page like
    Please see the Driveways wiki for more information on best practice.

See the Parking-Lot Area Place wiki for details.

The Wiki is the entire collection of information made up of pages or articles (they can mostly be used interchangeably). In this example a more appropriate wording would be:
    Please see the Driveways page for more information on best practice.

See the Parking-Lot Area Place page for details.

6. This entry wording might be a little harsh:
    Misuse of the Ramp road type
    Ramps are appropriate only for limited situations. If an entry-level editor uses the Ramp road type it is likely to be a mistake.
    Response: Change to the correct road type and rework if necessary, or delete.

Maybe we can say something like:
    Misuse of the Ramp road type
    Ramps are appropriate only for limited situations. It is common for entry-level editors to use the Ramp road type in the wrong places.
    Response: Review the Ramp guidelines page and then change to the correct road type and rework if necessary, or delete it if unnecessary for that intersection. Be sure to confirm the turn restrictions are also set correctly at the junction points.

7. Some sections may lay out better using side-by-side images when the text is very short. I edited Unnecessary road splitting to give an example. This also helps break up the page monotony by having images appear in different places periodically.

8. The use of the HTML code <i></i> and <b></b> in the Wiki is currently still supported, but it has been deprecated in place of the (albeit less intuitive) single quote notation. I recommend we not use the HTML since future Wiki revisions and tools may stop recognizing that code. WikEd already identifies the code as unknown.

If you like I can easily global search and replace those codes so you don't have to do it manually. (Or you can also do it if you have the WikEd extension installed. ;) )

Again this is fantastic work. We need more Wiki contributors. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed review! I've implemented all your suggestions. I did want to respond to a couple of points, below:

kentsmith9 wrote:I think it would be good to add a very short section (one or two sentences) after the "Incorrect edits are..." section.
== Overall editing guidelines ==
Some editors have not had an opportunity to read through the editing procedures discussed in the Waze Map Editor documentation. In many cases, that documentation helps new editors much more than they realize. Be sure to check it out.

kentsmith9 wrote:Each section should link back to the WME manual or applicable style guide page that gives the detailed guidance for that issue. The basic information would be on this page and the details would be left to the manual or style guide. That would:
  • enable this page to be shorter and not look so intimidating
  • prevent maintenance of data in two different places if (when) it changes

There's now a "Further reading" section at the end of the article, with links to all five of the introductory wiki articles on editing of which I'm aware. Also some links to the forum. I adapted this from the page for Area Managers.

I'll confess to some concern that, from a beginner's perspective, the Waze wiki may seem encyclopedic rather than tutorial in both treatment and organization. For example, if I go to the Road types (USA) Ramp article, I see many things that I still do not understand, such as a J-turn (which the article helpfully explains is an RCUT/"Superstreet"). Of course I can find out what this is quickly, but the point is that parts of our documentation aren't especially tutorial in nature.

(It's an interesting aside that Wikipedia is of course intended as an online encyclopedia. So perhaps it is natural that any documentation system based on their engine might tend towards an encyclopedic rather than tutorial presentation.)

So, in writing an article explicitly oriented towards beginners making beginner mistakes, I felt that information should be immediately accessible as well as tutorial in scope. In some cases that meant reiterating information available in other articles. This was deliberate.

That being said, I'm in complete agreement that links to other documentation definitely belong throughout this article. I've been adding them as I go, and welcome help! I also plan to keep adding images as I come across good candidates.

Thanks again for the terrific review and suggestions!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:43 pm

DwarfLord wrote:I'll confess to some concern that, from a beginner's perspective, the Waze wiki may seem encyclopedic rather than tutorial in both treatment and organization. For example, if I go to the Road types (USA) Ramp article, I see many things that I still do not understand, such as a J-turn (which the article helpfully explains is an RCUT/"Superstreet"). Of course I can find out what this is quickly, but the point is that parts of our documentation aren't especially tutorial in nature.

The documentation on RCUTs and MUTIs and DLTs and Jughandles is in the works. I don't understand how this is anything but "tutorial" though. The list is there to delineate the types of segments which should be set to the ramp type in Waze, not to describe different types of the dictionary definition of "ramp" (the last four items on the list wouldn't qualify anyhow).
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:06 pm

DwarfLord wrote:So, in writing an article explicitly oriented towards beginners making beginner mistakes, I felt that information should be immediately accessible as well as tutorial in scope. In some cases that meant reiterating information available in other articles. This was deliberate.

That being said, I'm in complete agreement that links to other documentation definitely belong throughout this article. I've been adding them as I go, and welcome help! I also plan to keep adding images as I come across good candidates.

Good points and I can support the more beginner sections being more detailed in support of not making them jump back and forth to find what they should do. Maybe in that case if a section discusses a topic enough to cover it, at the end (or opening) of that section you could use a hatnote template like {{Details}}. That way a more advanced editor could go to the full details on the other page if they feel confident enough.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:05 pm

I introduced a few "don't panic" messages, since the page contains so many "you might be doing it wrong" messages. They all consist a friendly message saying that there's stuff that's safe and easy to do, with an internal link within the article.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Looks good to me. I'm not sure quite so many instances of the message are necessary but perhaps it's appropriate given how this page will get used. But, shouldn't the words "don't panic" be printed in large, friendly letters? ;)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:56 pm

qwaletee wrote:I introduced a few "don't panic" messages, since the page contains so many "you might be doing it wrong" messages. They all consist a friendly message saying that there's stuff that's safe and easy to do, with an internal link within the article.

DwarfLord wrote:Looks good to me. I'm not sure quite so many instances of the message are necessary but perhaps it's appropriate given how this page will get used. But, shouldn't the words "don't panic" be printed in large, friendly letters? ;)

I think it is OK in the current placements, but I would not want to draw too much attention to it. I would leave as is.

Since we use it 4 times on the page with the same text, I moved it to a transcluded subpage to simplify future updates and to prevent it from getting modified in one section without the other.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I have added four misunderstood principles to the beginning of the Incorrect Edits page. These are:

- Misunderstanding Waze's purpose
- Thinking one edits alone
- Assuming road types are intuitively obvious
- Trying too hard to match the satellite image

I added these in response to encountering frequent deep misunderstandings of Waze, and am trying to get at the root of these issues up front.

Comments welcome!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion