[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby chucksways » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:47 am

I'm sure someone is already on this, but the Edits to avoid (USA) parking lot area section needs to be updated slightly to align with the latest guidance to map all lots.
chucksways

[New Page/USA] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:58 am

Chucksways, thanks for noticing the problem. The Edits to Avoid (USA) article was my contribution and with a couple of minor exceptions I've been the only one maintaining it. However, I am in the process of reducing the time I spend on Waze. Barring some unforeseen burst of energy and enthusiasm, I don't expect I will be putting in the necessary effort to adapt the article to Waze's massive recent changes.

I have never felt that I "owned" Edits to Avoid. I knew from the day I started it that it belonged to the community, not to me. I was always told that we follow a process for updating our wiki that involves a generous community comment period and emphasizes consensus. I agree completely with these principles and wholeheartedly offer "Edits to Avoid" to this process. I would be delighted if the community wanted to maintain this article.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: [New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby cybernixon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm a fan of this article. It'll be helpful to refer to myself and when mentoring other new editors (I'm a new editor, too).

DwarfLord wrote:I've removed the placeholder images and begun the process of adding real "before" and "after" examples, which will probably take some time. It is also missing many appropriate reference links to other wikis.

This may fall under the before/after images you're working on, but could we make sure to label images as either good or poor examples?

In particular, I was reviewing Misuse of the Parking-Lot Area Place[1] and looked at the image. The image is currently captioned "Use of the Parking-Lot Area Place."
Ideally, this caption could be "Poor Use of the Parking-Lot Area Place" to give the reader a clear assessment of the content of the image.

[1]: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ed ... Area_Place
cybernixon

Re: [New Page] Responding to incorrect edits

Postby DwarfLord » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm

cybernixon wrote:could we make sure to label images as either good or poor examples?

Thanks for the kind words!

Your suggestion has more irony to it than you know. The image was originally in the article as an example of what not to do, and was labeled as such. We used to limit the Parking Lot Place to generic public parking for people who might park there and walk or take public transportation elsewhere. Our idea was that public parking was the only kind of parking Wazers would care about; it'd be pointless to be routed to a private parking lot that they couldn't use, right? Well, the lots in that image were private lots dedicated to specific destinations and did not comply with our guidelines, so they were in the article as a negative example.

Then, about a year ago, Waze announced a new desire for us to map every off-street parking lot in the world, private, public, restricted, whatever, all of them! Yay! Even if the actual destination is marked in Waze as "parking available for customers" Waze still wants to be able to recommend a parking lot. It may be for another business three blocks away that will tow you if you park there, but at least it's an option. (Sarcasm aside, please read the Lot Type section of the Places/Parking Lot article).

So recently another editor repurposed that image from an example of doing it wrong to an example of doing it right. The text is indeed a bit vague on that point. Please feel welcome to change it if you like!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 pm

I noticed that this page still has a construction tag on it? Mind if I take it off? This is a mature and popular page, and I don't think the tag belongs there anymore, four years after it was placed.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:09 pm

No objection on my part as the original author.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Done
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:08 pm

FYI, I have modified the section on "Excessive use of Parking-Lot Roads" in the Edits to Avoid article to align with the recent changes to our conventions on mapping parking lots.

I did not want to rewrite the section at this time, so I simply reworded it to make it clear what used to be considered wrong is no longer thus.

The changes are, I believe, uncontroversial, so I've gone ahead with them.

(P.S. Big thanks to editor Vince1612 for moving this thread from its former home in the global wiki discussion to its proper home in US wiki discussion.)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Previous

Return to US Wiki Discussion