[Update] Road Name/USA

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Road Name/USA

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm wondering whether this would be a good time to modify the wiki to make it clear that the road name that should be listed is the one that shows on the BGS, not some decision based on what the exit ramp connects to. For some reason the page doesn't seem to contemplate that exits without numbers may include control cities as well. My understanding is that we are saying that the exit ramps without exit numbers should be formatted the same as entrance ramps.

Thus:
If the exit sign shows a number as well as a street or highway name, the exit ramp should be named "Exit 7: SR-27 / Bowie" to match a sign like this:
HWY27.png
HWY27.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 511 times

If the exit is not numbered, the exit ramp should be named "to I-75 S / Lexington" to match signs like this:
LexingtonApproach.png
LexingtonApproach.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 510 times

LexingtonOverhead.png
LexingtonOverhead.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm

PesachZ wrote:But you also have to cover exits which have a BGS.

:?:
I'm intending to cover exits which have a BGS. Are there exits as we are defining them (i.e. ramps that are part of a grade seperated interchange) that do not have BGSs?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:33 am

sketch wrote:("to I-75 S / Lexington" could easily be either an onramp or an unnumbered exit; indeed, what's the difference?)

Or both. I've never understood the distinction. A ramp serves as an exit from one road and as an entrance to another.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 am

sketch wrote:I'm actually not familiar with that routing problem.

Well there is the problem that the big detour prevention mechanism will prevent routes from one carriage way to the other if the carriage ways are connected through multiple segments when the different directions don't have different names. But this is the way it works now.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

[Update] Road Name/USA

Postby davielde » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 am

kentsmith9 wrote:There was a huge discussion on removing BUS and spelling it out. If the Wiki still has BUS anywhere, we did not get it updated.

If I recall, that discussion was earlier in the year when BUS was not pronouncing as "business", so we updated the wiki to spell it out until the TTS could be corrected. There may be some outstanding issues with BUS E, BUS W, BUS N, and BUS S that could be re-tested, but BUS itself would be a safe change as the TTS has now worked for a few months. I don't see a reason why the wiki could not be updated at this point assuming the different directions test okay.
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Unexpected wayfinder instruction

Postby davielde » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 pm

sketch wrote:There's a big difference between the perception of "BUS" in a route number and of "Bus" in a road name. Plus, how many bus-only highways are there? Is that really a thing? I know there are bus-specific U turn segments and all, but not as a part of a US/state highway designation. I don't think it's confusing at all, especially now that TTS says "Business" there.

I just made the change to "BUS" on the wiki. Do we think that clarification should be offered there stating that uppercase is required?
US-90 BUS S for U.S. Highway 90 Business, Southbound (uppercase BUS required for TTS)
or something like that?
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Unexpected wayfinder instruction

Postby davielde » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Yes. And also note that without it you get "Bus" :)

As I said I don't really care, but note that not everyone uses voice guidance (like me). So I (and others without TTS) only see "BUS" and sometimes it does not match Business on the BGS. I am sure no accidents will result from this. :mrgreen:

"US-90 BUS S for U.S. Highway 90 Business, Southbound
(note that BUS should be all uppercase for TTS to pronounce as "business". "Bus", "bus", etc. will pronounce as "Bus".) "

As for accidents, as we tell UR reporters on occasion, sometimes you just have to use common sense. Please don't hit any buses on the special BUS highway or veer back onto the main highway at the last second at the exit ramp assuming you would otherwise be jumping onto a special BUS-only highway.
WME Michigan
davielde
Country Manager
Country Manager

[Update] Road Name/USA

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:22 am

With the current release and unknown changes in the app v3.8.1.0, the TTS on road names may have changed as stated by KB_Steveo on the old road name thread:

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=42135&start=110#p842026
KB_Steveo wrote:I know this thread is kind of old now, but... I've noticed a number of times you guys mention trying to lessen space used, and trying for brevity when possible and making TTS less wordy, etc. That being said, can we change the wiki so that "Exit to Kindergarten Ct" will not do?

Sorry, I don't have any ramps in my area named that way, so I'm not sure if the "new & improved voice guidance" has changed it, but it drives me nuts when I hear "Exit to Exit to Kindergarten Court" or "Exit right to Exit to Kindergarten Court" instead of just "Exit right to Kindergarten Ct"

(Maybe just keep it for LH exits so you get "Keep left to exit to Kindergarten Ct" if the consensus says to keep it at all?)

If the Road names/USA page is still undergoing changes, we should update that page to contain the template:construction format that other pages are using. Also, we need Champs in contact with Waze app Devs to find out how the TTS format has changed in the app so we don't lose man hours playing around to find the exact format.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
WME βeta Tester
Waze Map Editor | Arizona Wiki | Waze Arizona G+
VZ Droid 4 |Waze v3.9.3.0
Fredo-p
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 am

sketch wrote:If we have enough attentive editors in the LA and SF areas, we'll notice pretty quickly once the signs actually go up.

I don't know how CalTrans work's, but for the Arizona Dept. of Trans (ADOT or AZDOT) since all sings on highways are controlled by them, they always place alerts as to when signs will go up or change. That is why I signed up to get every email alert, in real-time, for every highway.

I'm sure CalTrans has some sort of information hub that would list this or a project page that is tracking a mass change of signs. :?: :?: :?: :?:
WME βeta Tester
Fredo-p
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:12 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:I'm sure CalTrans has some sort of information hub that would list this or a project page that is tracking a mass change of signs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry. You said CalTrans has update information.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

California has 129 (if I did not miss any) numbered highways with exit numbers on all exits. Each roadway has 1 to 18 pages of exits with up to 25 exits per page for each direction. I-5 and US-101 are the 2 longest of the CA roadways at nearly 800 miles long.

Taking only I-5, US-101, and SR-99 and you get 44 pages x 25 x 2 = 2,200 exits on those three roadways alone.
Assuming the rest only had 1 page per roadway average and for only a single direction that is 126 x 25 = 3,150 additional ramps. That is no less than about 5,350 ramps to check/change.

Pay me $100/hour and you have a deal. Otherwise don't touch the exits with numbers that I already put in there. :twisted:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mother of God!!!!!!!

That's insane. Man, we editors in Arizona have it made. ADOT even has a pdf map of locations for all their exits. All nice and organized. :lol: :lol: :lol:
WME βeta Tester
Fredo-p
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion