[Update] Road Name/USA

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Update] Road Name/USA

Postby codgerd » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 am

That's not the same bullet point I'm asking about, though... I'm asking about the one that says:
If the exit off the main interstate or highway serves multiple exits further down the road, it may be advisable not to name the first exit ramp, but rather name only the ramps which are the first one to a distinct destination. The Waze client will give all the proper exit and keep left or right instructions to guide the driver to the correct exit, even if the first one is not named. That said, this should only be done if the signage for the first ramp is the same as that on the subsequent, named ramp.
AM Greater Vancouver, BC
AM Saguenay-Lac St-Jean, QC
codgerd
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby codgerd » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:39 pm

I would appreciate some clarification from the wiki masters on content on this page relating to ramp naming.

Specifically, the principle for ramp naming is, from the wiki page:
The name of the ramp should match the exit or entrance signage as closely as possible.

Later, in discussing ramp segments that serves subsequent exits, wiki says that in certain circumstances:
(...) it may be advisable not to name the first exit ramp, but rather name only the ramps which are the first one to a distinct destination.

The wiki gives the necessary condition for this to apply viz. that the initial signage at an exit/fork has component texts that are identical to the subsequent downstream signage on the forks or exits (so that initial instruction inherits text from downstream that matches a component of the initial sign exactly), but it doesn't give sufficient conditions for this guidance to be applicable.

When, specifically, is this advisable? After some discussion, a Canadian champ advised me that, at least for Canada, in this situation, a no name ramp is only called for when to otherwise put the complete text of the signage would make the instruction too long and unwieldy to display on the device or pronounce for TTS in the time available. In this particular case, we are to use a no name ramp. In all other cases, I am advised, we are to use the full signage text on the ramp name.

What is the guidance for USA? Can this bullet point be expanded to give the precise and complete circumstances in which a no-name ramp segment may be advisable? At the moment, I believe it is open to interpretation.

Thanks
AM Greater Vancouver, BC
AM Saguenay-Lac St-Jean, QC
codgerd
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Fri May 20, 2016 1:44 pm

The only reason that I am aware of that the existing guidance suggests the use of exit numbers when they are assigned but do yet appear on the sign is to accommodate the practice of Caltrans assigning exit numbers and then signing the exits on a sporadic when its convenient basis.

As far as I'm aware what's good for 49 of 50 states is simply to use what's on the sign. It didn't really affect the rest of us to add guidance to use assigned exit numbers even when they do not yet appear on the sign. Thus, it makes no sense to me to have the guidance if doesn't work for California. We can debate whether the guidance should be in the national or the California wiki. But leaving language that is not working for California in the national wiki does not make sense to me.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Thu May 19, 2016 12:06 pm

My personal view is that this has always been a California issue. As long as the language doesn't mess things up for the rest of country, I'm happy with whatever works for CA.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Ah, I see. So that would be a consideration on whether to use an unnamed segment, but would be an example where leaving the first ramp unnamed may be inappropriate.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:35 am

I think something like this could be helpful. The one statement I do not understand is "when closely spaced junctions cause repetitious identical instructions that may be distracting/annoying to the driver." How does leaving the first ramp unnamed (and inheriting the instruction from the next routed segment name) help with repetitious identical instructions?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:54 pm

qwaletee wrote:If I had to: Exit 7B-7A: I-95 / I-495 / Beltway / Baltimore / Richmond

But it helps to have the specific exit to know which lane to be in. Better to leave blank and just get exit right to Exit 7B or exit right to Exit 7A instructions. Before the leaving a ramp segment blank worked correctly this exit would generate many URs. Now it doesn't.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:56 am

I'm all for clarity. The way I read the instructions is that you can't really match a sign like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9448776 ... 312!8i6656

So you leave that ramp blank to pick up the instructions after the ramp splits to distinct destinations.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 am

sketch wrote:I'm actually not familiar with that routing problem.

Well there is the problem that the big detour prevention mechanism will prevent routes from one carriage way to the other if the carriage ways are connected through multiple segments when the different directions don't have different names. But this is the way it works now.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:33 am

sketch wrote:("to I-75 S / Lexington" could easily be either an onramp or an unnumbered exit; indeed, what's the difference?)

Or both. I've never understood the distinction. A ramp serves as an exit from one road and as an entrance to another.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion