[New Page] State Manager (SM)

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:29 am

As posted by Orbitc in this thread: Subject: New Community Role: State Manager (SM)

[Update]
The new page is live. State Manager

As the exact details are being worked out, I have gone ahead and placed what I could into potential sections. Once the official definition and responsibilities have been ironed out, this page should be finished very quickly.

EDIT Aug 2, 2014: A poll was created to get input on a new state manager forum badge. Be sure to go to that page to vote.
Last edited by Fredo-p on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am
Location: AZ, NJ, NY, ND, CA
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby nhanway » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:42 am

Hello,

I think this is a great idea. I kind of feel like the Washington State SM already. I already do everything that the proposed SM's will do, but I don't have the title, SM.

I'm sure orbitc and others are figuring out the details of this new community role but I have a couple questions. Hopefully these questions will also help build the Wiki Page.

Do editors who are interested in becoming a SM have to already have editing rights to the whole state? Or will they be granted Editing rights when they become a SM?
If the later is true. Will SM show up in the Area Managers Layer?

Will there be some sort of formal Application or do editors seeking to become SM have to ask a champ to endorse them/ ask the RC?

Champ endorsement? How exactly does this work?
Washington State Manager
Image

Image
nhanway
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Seattle, WA (Washington SM)
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby Fredo-p » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:17 am

nhanway wrote:Do editors who are interested in becoming a SM have to already have editing rights to the whole state? Or will they be granted Editing rights when they become a SM?
If the later is true. Will SM show up in the Area Managers Layer?


No. If they are approved, they will be "upgraded" to access to the entire state.

nhanway wrote:Will there be some sort of formal Application or do editors seeking to become SM have to ask a champ to endorse them/ ask the RC?


As far as I know, it's by recommendation right now. If an editor feels qualified, they request it via their local champ or RC. But I think it might become/move towards an editor being nominated and asked if they would like the title by a local champ.

Either way, one or more champs will have to nominate a local editor. They will have to convince the RC that the mentioned editor is qualified via examples and personal experiences.

If you feel as though your ready to become an SM, then send Alan a PM and request to be on the SM list. I'm sure he will gladly select you as an SM once the program is given the green light.
Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am
Location: AZ, NJ, NY, ND, CA
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby banished » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:18 pm

The draft wiki page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/State_Manager presently says an SM can be nominated by a Champ. The Regional Coordinator (RC) -- with whom the SM will have to work -- must be solely responsible for the final decision, taking into consideration the input of other RCs, CMs, and Champs.

To that end, I'm thinking along the lines of a more business-like "hiring" process [in the Southeast] and selecting from among interested (those that take the time to apply) and qualified applicants.

Once hired, the RC that hired them is responsible for them. They will be the group the RC primarily mentors. The RC has a more vested interest in the success of those they hire, rather than someone foisted upon them, because each SM's performance then reflects upon the RC. If it turns out the RC hired the wrong person, then it's on the RC to figure out how to handle it. (I'm uncertain exactly what that means, just yet.)

With this new SM position, now seems the time to implement a more structured approach. In this situation, where the SMs are responsible for working with the RC, hiring by the RC with community input is a better approach. It may be a small matter of semantics.

In my professional life, I've had success hiring the right people, and usually involve colleagues, immediate senior management and subordinates to rank-order resumes' as a means to mitigate any personal biases, though in the end the decision was mine.
Fish don't know they're in water.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:03 am
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby Fredo-p » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 pm

banished wrote:The draft wiki page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/State_Manager presently says an SM can be nominated by a Champ. The Regional Coordinator (RC) -- with whom the SM will have to work -- must be solely responsible for the final decision, taking into consideration the input of other RCs, CMs, and Champs.

To that end, I'm thinking along the lines of a more business-like "hiring" process [in the Southeast] and selecting from among interested (those that take the time to apply) and qualified applicants.

Once hired, the RC that hired them is responsible for them. They will be the group the RC primarily mentors. The RC has a more vested interest in the success of those they hire, rather than someone foisted upon them, because each SM's performance then reflects upon the RC. If it turns out the RC hired the wrong person, then it's on the RC to figure out how to handle it. (I'm uncertain exactly what that means, just yet.)

With this new SM position, now seems the time to implement a more structured approach. In this situation, where the SMs are responsible for working with the RC, hiring by the RC with community input is a better approach. It may be a small matter of semantics.

In my professional life, I've had success hiring the right people, and usually involve colleagues, immediate senior management and subordinates to rank-order resumes' as a means to mitigate any personal biases, though in the end the decision was mine.

A good portion of this looks great as part of the intro. We'll have to try and reword some of the page to get a more "professional" appearance.

I like a lot of what you have and would like to get it integrated with the trst of the page.
Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am
Location: AZ, NJ, NY, ND, CA
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:54 am

I showed the State Manager signature icon that I'm using below to my RC (Jemay) and asked if I should create a set to cover every state. He loved the idea, and I'm working on that project now.

What I'd like to do when they're all completed is to upload them to the Wiki and add a table to the State Manager page with those icons. This way, we've got a standard icon to use in forum signatures (like the edit count shields and rank cones, etc., that are elsewhere in the Wiki) for those who want to put them in their signatures.

Anyone have any objections to my putting them on the page?
ImageImageImageImage
Country Manager: USA (mostly oriented around NV & CA)
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:27 pm
Location: Nevada, USA
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby Fredo-p » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 am

SuperDave1426 wrote:I showed the State Manager signature icon that I'm using below to my RC (Jemay) and asked if I should create a set to cover every state. He loved the idea, and I'm working on that project now.

What I'd like to do when they're all completed is to upload them to the Wiki and add a table to the State Manager page with those icons. This way, we've got a standard icon to use in forum signatures (like the edit count shields and rank cones, etc., that are elsewhere in the Wiki) for those who want to put them in their signatures.

Anyone have any objections to my putting them on the page?

I have another suggestion. The SM icons could be added to the signature page. This way a link could be added, directing editors to the signature page to choose their state icon.
Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am
Location: AZ, NJ, NY, ND, CA
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:35 am

Ok, yea, that makes perfect sense. That's why I'm glad I thought of it! :D

Thanks. ;)
ImageImageImageImage
Country Manager: USA (mostly oriented around NV & CA)
Editor Guide Best Editing Practices Editor Quick-start
Places Guidelines Nevada Wiki
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:27 pm
Location: Nevada, USA
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:00 am

With 50 entries we should create a table of the 50 entries alphabetically. I also recommend we put it on a subpage of the signature page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4948
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 1443 times

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby Fredo-p » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 am

kentsmith9 wrote:With 50 entries we should create a table of the 50 entries alphabetically. I also recommend we put it on a subpage of the signature page.


Added State Manager to the Forum Signature Banner page. Created sub-page called State Manger Icons, located at Forum_Signature_Banners/State_Manager_Icon.

Also, SuperDave1426, I have already created a table that is 50x3. This should help make it quicker to build the table, unless you already have one. If you do, go ahead and kill mine.
Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am
Location: AZ, NJ, NY, ND, CA
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 553 times

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users