[New Page] State Manager (SM)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page] State Manager (SM)

Postby xanderb » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 am

This old forum thread is linked at the top of the USA\State Managers wiki page with a note saying it is under construction. Does anyone object to calling that done and removing the construction warning?
xanderb
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby voludu2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:47 am

crazycaveman wrote:It seems that more countries are getting SMs (Brazil, Italy, possibly France). Should the US specific SM list be moved to a separate page in order to make this a general catch-all page for any country that has SMs? I am thinking it might be better to have a general overview of what the SM role encompasses for all countries and then have links at the bottom for things specific to each country, such as who to contact (RC/Champ), who the current SMs are, etc.

Yes.

ImageState Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby SuperDave1426 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Famous last words.... :) :oops:
SuperDave1426 wrote:I hope to have them done by next weekend.

It took a bit longer than I had expected; that pesky real life thing kept intruding. Real life is soooooo selfish and demanding sometimes.... :lol:

However, good news, everyone! :mrgreen:

It's finally done! All icons have been updated and I've finalized the instructions on the page. Thanks for being patient while I dealt with this. Enjoy the icons, State Managers!

On a side note: I agree 150% with OrbitC. There's no requirement to be an official Mentor as a criteria to be a SM. Nor should there be.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Fredo-p wrote:You got swapped and forgot about a Waze project? Welcome to the club.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and for the understanding. :-)

I made some significant headway last weekend, though it's not quite completed yet. Lots more SM badges now, though.

I hope to have them done by next weekend.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Oh, good grief! :oops:

Sorry, guys - I got swamped a while ago when I was working on those, and then forgot about it (that it wasn't completed).

The bulk of the hard part was done back then - I've got all the state images and rendered all the fonted text - so all I have to do is assemble the image and the two sets of text ("State Manager" and the two-letter abbreviation for the state) and then resize it down to forum-usable size for those remaining badges. So at this point, the heavy lifting has been completed, I just have to do the assembly and upload (and bit.ly conversion for each image in the Wiki to the j.mp code you see underneath each image. A bit time-consuming, but at least the rending has been done, so with any luck, I should be able to finish this week - I'll try to make some time this weekend to either finish it or at least add some more this weekend and then complete it on the next.

In the meantime, I just added the ND badge since I see that Fredo-p is waiting for it. :-)

Again, sorry for falling through on this.... :cry:
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:17 am

Yay, thanks Kent!

Voted!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:37 am

Restricting based on IP address isn't one of the better choices out there. There are people such as myself who use a VPN service for privacy issues. Someone else who happens to get the same exit IP address as me is going to look like it's coming from the same address. Anyone who is legitimately behind any kind of NAT firewall is going to have problems as well. ISPs use dynamic address allocation and someone who's on a given IP address today could easily be on another one tomorrow, which both gives him another chance to vote and penalizes the next person who gets the address he was using the day before.

It's your survey, but I just wanted you to be aware that that's not such a good way to ensure single votes.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:27 am

One question I have: Since it's an off-site survey, what's to keep someone from voting more than once?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 am

I have no objection to that. In fact, I just changed the wording of the introduction to specifically mention USA State Managers. Fredo-p, if you want to move the page and link on the main signature page to more properly make it USA-centric, just let me know where you moved it to so I can update my bookmark. :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Fredo-p wrote:D.
No change. It is find the way it is.

Question: How can it be "find" the way it is? :D Typo joke notwithstanding, is there an existing State Manager badge that can be left the way it is? I thought the other suggestion was that "none of the above" would be tied to "design something new."

Or did I misread that? (Wouldn't be the first time today.... <grin>)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion