[Update] Road Closures

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Road Closures

Postby herrchin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 pm

I just ran across an example that is another edge case for consideration. On this north-south closure, the northbound traffic was opened back up before the southbound traffic. By lifting the northbound closure, I properly allow westbound traffic to approach and turn north. However, northbound traffic cannot route east, even though it now physically can. So in the case of a one-way closure on the "main" closed road, a two-way closure on the "closed side" of the main road is preferred.

Bad:
[ img ]

Good:
[ img ]
herrchin
State Manager
State Manager

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:18 pm

herrchin wrote:Hi PesachZ! The instructions for blocking two-way crossing segments still need an update per this: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1434272

You are correct. I know Ottonomy was doing some testing with another editor on the optimal way to handle cross traffic. I'll see if there are any new recommendations.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby herrchin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi PesachZ! The instructions for blocking two-way crossing segments still need an update per this: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1434272
herrchin
State Manager
State Manager

Postby PesachZ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi all I made these changes for the USA wiki, in case you might be interested in copying for your countries Step-by step instructions to add a closure in the USA Wazeopedia. If there is global consensus feel free to nominate it for a global page update.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:32 pm

Well sure. I have heard that you champs have been successful getting the Waze team to change some of the strings used in WME.

Making this change to the wiki page should be easier, as it does not require Waze team approval, merely a good discussion to make sure the explanation is global in scope and clearly stated, followed by approval from the global wiki moderators to make the actual change.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby qwaletee » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:54 am

Temporary within temporary. Yup. Confusing. I was proposing this primarily for the wiki, but I don't see why it can't go on screen, perhaps in a slightly briefer version.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby voludu2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:44 pm

edsonajj wrote:There will soon be no need to explain the function of the ignore traffic checkbox, this just appeared in Transifex today:
"Check this box only if the closure is permanent and Waze should ignore any detected movement"

Even so, I think it is worth explaining on the wiki page (which is what is proposed here). A significant number of editors are under the misapprehension that, if traffic is detected and the box is not checked, then the RTC will expire early. The truth is that it will be temporarily suspended, and will be automatically re-enabled if traffic ceases before the RTC expiration date/time.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby edsonajj » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 am

That is too long to put in a tool-tip below the checkbox.

We can propose alternative wordings but in the end the product team will decide what to put in there. Of course we can influence that a bit through translations to make it clearer.
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:07 am

edsonajj wrote:There will soon be no need to explain the function of the ignore traffic checkbox, this just appeared in Transifex today:
"Check this box only if the closure is permanent and Waze should ignore any detected movement"

Ummm... that's probably worse than before. Permanent implies "it will never open again." The nature of RTC is to support temporary closure, even if they are long term temporary closures. The phrasing "permanent" is incompatible with the entire concept of the RTC as currently implemented.

A clearer explanation is:

If Waze detects significant traffic routing through the closed segments, it will assume the closure has been briefly lifted. Waze will then suggest routes through the closed segment, until it detects that traffic has ceased again. Click the box to ignore traffic going through the closure and not allow routing even when Waze detects traffic on the closed segments.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby edsonajj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

There will soon be no need to explain the function of the ignore traffic checkbox, this just appeared in Transifex today:
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion