Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
I have updated the article based on a change to the UI. It no longer displays null dates as 1969/1970. Instead, it shows "Not set." Since this had potential to confuse people and was not a major change, I elected to apply the change directly. If anyone has objections, go ahead and revert and we'll go through a normal "offline" editing cycle.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
It was showing "Not set" as the value this morning.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
edsonajj wrote:There will soon be no need to explain the function of the ignore traffic checkbox, this just appeared in Transifex today:
"Check this box only if the closure is permanent and Waze should ignore any detected movement"
Ummm... that's probably worse than before. Permanent implies "it will never open again." The nature of RTC is to support temporary closure, even if they are long term temporary closures. The phrasing "permanent" is incompatible with the entire concept of the RTC as currently implemented.

A clearer explanation is:

If Waze detects significant traffic routing through the closed segments, it will assume the closure has been briefly lifted. Waze will then suggest routes through the closed segment, until it detects that traffic has ceased again. Click the box to ignore traffic going through the closure and not allow routing even when Waze detects traffic on the closed segments.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Temporary within temporary. Yup. Confusing. I was proposing this primarily for the wiki, but I don't see why it can't go on screen, perhaps in a slightly briefer version.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
A number of other countries have their own closure docs – the US wasn't the first.

I guess guidance should be to contact a CM/RC and have them put it on the document, if there is one? It'd be nice to have a list of countries that have closure documents, but at the same time, I don't want to have that list go out of date and people doing manual disconnects where closures could be done instead.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
It's in the US Waze Champs forum. I think the idea is to keep the document itself to Champs and CMs because it's a pretty powerful document. We should, however, come up with a proper procedure for other editors to follow (contact a CM / US Champ / your RC).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
That's a really good idea. Kudos to Arizona.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:We had a longish discussion about this on the Routing and TTS Hangout on June 23-24. There were still situations we had a consensus to disconnect.
That discussion predated the closure sheet and is now irrelevant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Wrong. The context was that the closure tool was not available. (Before you say anything, yes, I read through the transcript. I even copied it to a document so I don't have to waste 20 minutes scrolling to find something I already knew.)

At that time, the only way to get a proper closure was to submit a mega traffic event. The only thing I agreed would merit a disconnect was a closure on a major road if the mega traffic event was denied or reasonably expected to be denied. Anything on minor roads, time-based restrictions would do. Anything very major, a mega traffic event should be submitted.

That's no longer an issue, because we have the closure sheet, which specifically handles all closures. So we use the closure sheet for everything now, and there is no longer any reason to disconnect segments. Period.

That discussion was June 23-24; the closure sheet was created June 29.

Even then I said that disconnecting roads shouldn't be in the Wiki.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote: as mentioned in another post, disconnecting segments SHOULD be done in the case the roads are being physically deconstructed, or will permanently no longer connect. It was proposed as a wiki change. Just mentioning this so there is no apparent conflict, I believe you would agree with that usage.
Indeed. I just mean that the usage we agreed upon at that time, for the time being, is no longer relevant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message