Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Update] Road Closures

Post by
This page will need to be updated to reflect the new closures Doc that is being used. I am not aware of the exact details so someone with the knowledge will need to place this information in the correct location.

Road Closures

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm not sure how to do that at this point. The sheet I'm aware of is for the US. I'm not sure how other countries are handling closures for construction. That page is a general page linked to from here. We'll have to decide where this information should be included in the wiki.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I also think it will be advantageous to be able to report to those with access to the master waze maintained form that a closure that is on the map has reopenned. Reopenning dates usually aren't all that accurate.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Fredo-p wrote:
  • Disconnect road segments - In general it is not recommended to disconnect road segments unless roads are permanently being disconnected. However, this method has been used for longer term construction projects while waiting for the scheduled restrictions feature.
Is there any reason to keep the second sentence regarding disconnecting segments?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I remain concerned that the Road closures/Overview list is reflecting US standards that are not applicable everywhere. The Road Closures form method is written in a US centric manner and has a Road Closures Form link that I can not open.

Should the standards for reporting a "Mega Event" be the same everywhere. The event form lists seven categories - Global Event, National Event, Local Event, HY Local Event, Traffic Construction Related Event, Mega Crisis Event and Other Event.

In areas where there are Champs are subscribed to the Mega Events Mailing list, it seems that there ought to set forth a process to ensure that the closure sheets for submitted events are completed. In such areas any event with scheduled road closures can be handled through the Major traffic event form.

In areas that maintain a construction/emergency road closure form, the Traffic Construction Related Event should not be used on the Mega Event Form. If a construction related event is a Carmageddon type event then waze staff/champs can make the call to treat the construction as an event, but there is no real reason to have it submitted that way on the events form.

In areas that have Champs that subscribe to the Mega Event Mailing list and have a construction road closure form, there is really no reason to use scheduled restrictions in place of mega events or road closures. In fact, it should be discouraged as editing roads that are listed for closure through the mega event or road closure channels can cause problems. The issue here is that the average editor doesn't know what is submitted for closure as a event or construction road closure, but can see whether there is a scheduled restriction. I suspect many editors naturally think that they might as well add the scheduled restrictions just to be sure that the routing will be correct.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I would just note that this is an issue for both closures submitted on the closure form and closures submitted on the events form.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Is the [ROADWORKS] tag appropriate for such URs?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
PesachZ wrote:
CBenson wrote:Is the [ROADWORKS] tag appropriate for such URs?
I don't see why not. IMHO it identifies these URs as being construction/editing related and not standard reports submitted which need to be solved. These are reports for editors to communicate issues about the road construction. In this case about the closure of the roads. It visually identifies them on the map for easy reference too.
For event too? Are events construction/editing related? Should event notices be visually identified the same as road construction related reports?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:This is the first I've heard of the mailing list, I must have missed the post...
Access to the mailing list is available here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I don't really want to stir up when to disconnect as I think disconnecting should only be used for permanent closures.

However, I am curious about the following statement and missed the discussion.
sketch wrote:At that time, the only way to get a proper closure was to submit a mega traffic event. The only thing I agreed would merit a disconnect was a closure on a major road if the mega traffic event was denied or reasonably expected to be denied.
What events would we reasonably expect to be denied?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Hmm, I've seen events for closures in very small towns. I'll accept (or delegate) the responsibility for working with any event that closes roads in the Mid-Atlantic region. I guess I'm just thinking that any event for which there are closures published more than a day or two in advance can be handled through the events form.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message