[Update] Road Closures

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Road Closures

Postby PesachZ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:55 pm

I've added a few new subsections to the wiki page discussing app-reported closures display and editing in WME, and the maximum duration/furthest end date for a closure.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

[Update] Road Closures

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Regarding vehicle-based segment restrictions -- that function the same as road closures, with an exit penalty instead of an entrance penalty -- here is an example of a workaround.

As in the previous example involving Haight, Waze has been routing drivers (presumably whose destinations were on this section of McAllister) down a Muni lane. This was counterintuitive to the marking of the segment as closed to private vehicles going that direction.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=85071610

Rather than create two vehicle-based turn restrictions that would be intuitively redundant with the segment restriction, I just added a junction node a few meters from the intersection.

Since road closures behave the same, perhaps this is a good workaround for now when implementing road closures, especially one-way road closures. Extra junction nodes are fairly innocuous if they stick around after the closure is over.

Now, I don't *like* this workaround (though I like it better than multiple redundant vehicle-based turn restrictions) and I'd prefer more intuitive solutions. But the more intuitive solutions all involve Waze changing something...
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 am

DwarfLord wrote:Regarding vehicle-based segment restrictions -- that function the same as road closures, with an exit penalty instead of an entrance penalty -- here is an example of a workaround.

As in the previous example involving Haight, Waze has been routing drivers (presumably whose destinations were on this section of McAllister) down a Muni lane. This was counterintuitive to the marking of the segment as closed to private vehicles going that direction.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=85071610

Rather than create two vehicle-based turn restrictions that would be intuitively redundant with the segment restriction, I just added a junction node a few meters from the intersection.

Since road closures behave the same, perhaps this is a good workaround for now when implementing road closures, especially one-way road closures. Extra junction nodes are fairly innocuous if they stick around after the closure is over.

Now, I don't *like* this workaround (though I like it better than multiple redundant vehicle-based turn restrictions) and I'd prefer more intuitive solutions. But the more intuitive solutions all involve Waze changing something...

That work around does work for RTCs and has been used in the past for preplanned parades. The major difference here between Partial Restrictions and RTCs, is that adding a junction node means you must wait till after the new nodes are included in a tile build before you'll be able to add the closure.

This works if you have a few days advance notice, but does not for Real Time Closures.

-------

On the bright side, Waze did say they are looking onto this issue, and I'd wait a few weeks to see if they can come up with anything that works well in all cases.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Tue May 12, 2015 1:26 pm

I have updated the article based on a change to the UI. It no longer displays null dates as 1969/1970. Instead, it shows "Not set." Since this had potential to confuse people and was not a major change, I elected to apply the change directly. If anyone has objections, go ahead and revert and we'll go through a normal "offline" editing cycle.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 12, 2015 4:40 pm

qwaletee wrote:I have updated the article based on a change to the UI. It no longer displays null dates as 1969/1970. Instead, it shows "Not set." Since this had potential to confuse people and was not a major change, I elected to apply the change directly. If anyone has objections, go ahead and revert and we'll go through a normal "offline" editing cycle.

Fine with me, I made a few minor edits.

Question: does WME say "not set" or "no end date"?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby HavanaDay » Tue May 12, 2015 6:39 pm

I keep forgetting to post this but saw the thread reborn and it reminded me.

Do we need to put a note under long term closures that the barber pole does not show when multiple closures are added on one segment. (Last time I checked this was the case)
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 12, 2015 10:29 pm

HavanaDay wrote:I keep forgetting to post this but saw the thread reborn and it reminded me.

Do we need to put a note under long term closures that the barber pole does not show when multiple closures are added on one segment. (Last time I checked this was the case)

I thought this was already in there. I support this addition.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Wed May 13, 2015 6:37 am

It was showing "Not set" as the value this morning.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby MojaveCactusMonkey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:33 pm

In working with Real Time Closures wiki I noticed there is no reference I found to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Connected_Citizens_Program. Am I wrong? This should be mentioned as there are plenty of editors with connections to local authorities that might help expand this program.

If it's not there, should we refer to this program in the closure wiki as a way to make our lives easier by geting better communication with the community and the authorities that actually implement these physical closures?
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby PesachZ » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:45 am

MojaveCactusMonkey wrote:In working with Real Time Closures wiki I noticed there is no reference I found to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Connected_Citizens_Program. Am I wrong? This should be mentioned as there are plenty of editors with connections to local authorities that might help expand this program.

If it's not there, should we refer to this program in the closure wiki as a way to make our lives easier by geting better communication with the community and the authorities that actually implement these physical closures?

Where in the page would you recommend putting it? Do have a proposed text you would suggest?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion