[Update] Road Closures

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Road Closures

Postby MojaveCactusMonkey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:23 am

PesachZ wrote:
Where in the page would you recommend putting it? Do have a proposed text you would suggest?

So how about https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Real_time_closures#Controlling_traffic_flow

In section 1:
Road types — Certain road types (Private, Parking Lot Road, Dirt Road/4X4 Trail) will automatically prevent routing and should be used when appropriate for permanent situations.

Insert this text...
Connected Citizens Program
We exchange publicly available incident and road closure reports, enabling our government partners to respond more immediately to accidents and congestion on their roads. In turn, we aggregate our partners' data on the Waze platform, resulting in one of the most succinct, thorough overviews of current road conditions today.

Should a wazer have connections to Local Government Agencies, Municipalities, Cities, States, Departments of Transportation, Departments of Public Works, Utility Companies, 911 Emergency Dispatch Centers and Police Departments you might partner with your state manager or regional coordinator / USA to encourage their participation in this program Connected Citizens Program

Disconnect road segments — Road segments should only be physically disconnected if the road is no longer intended to connect or is being permanently removed.

----------
I don't know. It's just a thought... but it should be available somewhere in closures wiki so those that are getting communication from official sources might be able to help promote this program.

-Marty
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm

I don't like the idea of inserting a whole detialed description of ccp (first paragraph) on this page, I would try to keep as much of that I'm the ccp page, and refer to it to prevent duplicative maintenance in the future of the parameters of Ccp change. I'll try to work on a revised version of your text. I do like the overall idea.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm thinking in section 2 as "Connected Citizens Program" to the bullet list at the top.

At the end if that section, before the subsection 2.1 Safety and visibility add a new subsection
=== Connected Citizens Program ===
Through the [[Connected Citizens Program]] Waze shares and received information from [[Connected Citizen Program#Who can Join|select entities]] which partner with Waze. This information can include Road Closures which are submitted to WME directly by Waze staff. To ease the burden of teaching and submitting closures, Wazers are encouraged to [[Connected Citizens Program#How to Join|promote these relationships with their local governing entities]].

Feel free to suggest some word smithing.

This is purposefully concise, andvague referencing the source document for any details.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:21 am

This change has been approved by the wiki moderators. It may now be implemented.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

PesachZ wrote:I'm thinking in section 2 as "Connected Citizens Program" to the bullet list at the top.

At the end if that section, before the subsection 2.1 Safety and visibility add a new subsection
=== Connected Citizens Program ===
Through the [[Connected Citizens Program]] Waze shares and received information from [[Connected Citizen Program#Who can Join|select entities]] which partner with Waze. This information can include Road Closures which are submitted to WME directly by Waze staff. To ease the burden of teaching and submitting closures, Wazers are encouraged to [[Connected Citizens Program#How to Join|promote these relationships with their local governing entities]].

Feel free to suggest some word smithing.

This is purposefully concise, andvague referencing the source document for any details.

This section is now live on the RTC page.
Thanks MCM
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby herrchin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:16 pm

An L3 new to using RTCs pointed out that the instructions on restricting cross-traffic could use improvement

When adding a Real-Time Closure consider whether any cross traffic will be blocked as well.

• If traffic going across your Real-Time Closure at a junction must be blocked as well, you will need to close one of the cross street segments as well.
  • You should close the segment leading away from the main road with the Real-Time Closure.
  • If the cross street is a two way street, close only the shorter segment.
  • When closing a two way cross street segment, only set the Real-Time Closure to the direction leading away from the Temporary Closure.

The section in red is only correct if you do so by closing both cross segments (closing both one-way, in opposite directions, leading away from the intersection). As the guidance stands, traffic will be permitted to cross the intersection in one direction.

The current MTE guidance material (that you receive when asking for an MTE spreadsheet) instructs to close the shorter 2-way segment, in both directions. While that method is simpler, closing both crossing segments in one direction each provides a mild improvement for routing to destinations near the closure.

Should the wiki (text and images) be updated to reflect closing 2 segments when 2-way traffic is present, and should then the MTE material be updated to match?
USA Country Manager / UT and IA SM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby voludu2 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:19 am

I think we should have a section on "Ignore Traffic" and what happens in WME when this option is checked or unchecked.
* if unchecked, then enough Waze traffic transiting a closed segment causes a temporary suspension of the closure penalty on that segment for some period of time. If Waze traffic ceases (or, perhaps, is very little - I don't know which it is) for some period of time, then the closure penalty on that segment will be reinstated if it hasn't yet expired.
* if checked, then the closure penalty will be in effect until expiration no matter how much Waze traffic transits the segment.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby herrchin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Especially since the existing content says the closure is lifted temporarily with traffic (and without the ignore traffic box in the newer case) , but it's easy to misinterpret as permanently lifted (and not-infrequently is). Any clarification would help.

I'd be happy to propose text -- and I suppose imagery, but I'm not a graphics guy -- for the 2 segment closure piece, as soon as it's confirmed whether the 2x 1-ways or the 1x 2-way closure is preferred.
USA Country Manager / UT and IA SM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby tonestertm » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:57 pm

There is actually some work under way to amend the side closures statements. I believe it will be presented here, shortly. ;) (This guidance has been looong overdue, IMHO. Caveat: there will be resistance)

Having had to explain the Ignore Traffic box a couple of times recently, and noting the fact that we have no wiki info on it, I'll heartily support the revision for that. :)
Perhaps "... a brief period of time..." or "a small fraction of an hour", if we don't want to be too specific about the duration.

I believe, but am not 100%, that the same threshold applies for re-closing the segment, as that for opening it.

And I wonder if the addition of the word "automatically" prepended to "reinstated" might make the information that little bit clearer, or if it would just be so much noise.
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby edsonajj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

There will soon be no need to explain the function of the ignore traffic checkbox, this just appeared in Transifex today:
"Check this box only if the closure is permanent and Waze should ignore any detected movement"
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion