[Page Update] Glossary - https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Glossary

Post by
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Glossary

Discuss changes to any glossary entry, or propose additions and deletions. Be bold! If a glossary entry is missing, or badly mistaken, consider adding it in without having to build consensus first, but please also start a discussion here.

POSTER_ID:14073768

Send a message

Post by CBenson
qwaletee wrote:If by convention, it was not called a node in Waze, then we might override the general definition.
Right, that was what was being attempted here. Reserve node for geometry nodes and junction for end points for clarity. See e.g. here.
qwaletee wrote:Any practitioner of either mathematics (especially graphing) and computer science, without specific knowledge of Waze, would immediately define a junction, as used in WME, as a "node."
Right and that includes the waze developers.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Kobes1878 wrote:EDIT: The last 4 are a slippery-slope... If we include MUTI then there's also JTI, TTI, MUTIT etc. et al and If we start naming "traffic agencies", the list may never end, making it redundant, superfluous and bloated - like this sentence.
Well the difference between MUTI and JTI, TTI or MUTIT is that if you search for MUTI in the forums you get 50 hits. If you search for JTI, TTI or MUTIT the only hits you get for an English language post are in this thread.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by GizmoGuy411
I have had a rather extensive glossary in the works since last December. Although it is just a flat file, I envisioned making it into a table with sortable columns, so that acronyms or terms and phrases could more easily to pair and each be searchable.

Columns for Term, Abbreviation/Acronym, Definition, Aka/Fka/See and Link were envisioned.

Earlier in the year I shared the list with Kent, and I have now shared it with qwaletee, as he has stepped up to improve the Glossary.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by kentsmith9
I forgot that Sketch and I already had this discussion in March of this year, but I don't think it made its way to the Wiki.

viewtopic.php?f=276&t=83339&start=10#p717878
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:I have no problem with multiple references to the same concept. Both Michigan Left and MUTI should appear as separate appearing in the glossary. We don't want users to have to find the one that is not mentioned. Sure, they can use the find feature, but they may not think to do so.

It can either simply say "See MUTI" (wikilinked of course), or, we could turn the definition into a template, and just use the template as the definition for each of the occurenes, e.g., {{GossaryDefMUTI}}.

The template approach will make for better documentation, at the expense of ease of editing the page.
I do support using templates where the content must be replicated in different pages, but to have it repeat on the same page seems less desirable.

I think the Glossary has consistently used the "See OtherEntry" definitions with no issue. I would support that and have it link to the most commonly referenced name. Otherwise I think the page will suffer from unnecessary expansion.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:I'm OK with either approach. My main concern was to not bury alternate names in a way that made them difficult to find. The content? I have a preference, but I'm not married to it.
I presume listing the alternate names in alphabetical order with a "See XXXX" makes them as visible as if they had their own definition. If you think otherwise I am open to ideas.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Those look good.

Good idea on the ToC. Maybe you meant to use {{Compact ToC}}. I added it to our Wiki and placed it on the page. It uses {{anchors}}, so I added them as well.

I also updated a few entries for formatting and cleared a couple of typos.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
{{TOC limit}} will restrict the TOC to a specific level of heading, not a fixed letter in the heading. The TOC on this page is all at level 1, so that template will not be different from the standard TOC.

We can review shortcuts for inclusion, but let's be cautious of having a glossary with hundreds of entries. It will require a lot of maintenance if we start adding everything (IMO).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:Agreed. The existing glossary may be too sparse though, and the shortcuts seem like a good source to pick and choose from.
I am open if you want to propose or directly add some that you think are needed.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message