[UPDATE] Gas Station Places USA

Moderator: Unholy

[UPDATE] Gas Station Places USA

Postby jondrush » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 am

Based on this conversation I got volunteered for a big task; fixing all the USA gas stations with bad stop points, over 5300. I'm about halfway through. What I've discovered is about 90% of our gas station landmarks could use some improvement. So I'd like to propose a some content for this page:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Gas_Stations ... Map_Editor
Rough draft. Help me with my weaknesses:
-Gas station places should be drawn to the fenceline / curbline. Reasoning: Most stations are small, stretching them to the limits should make them more visible on the client. Also Gas station areas are supposed to suppress some forms of automated reports. By covering the whole area we suppress reports of people who park away from the pumps and get coffee with Waze running, in addition to those who just pump gas.

-Gas Station Place stop points need special handling, since they serve a dual function. They are the navigation point and their proximity to pumps allows people to update gas prices while they pump. My recommendation is this.
--Place the stop point at the throat of the entrance closest to the pumps, on the main road. This balances the chances that the pump user can update the prices and the passer-by can update the prices. If either is too far away, Waze will not let that user update the prices. It also biases the options for Waze navigation to lead the user to the station from the main road, which will be the highest percentage case.
--If there are two equidistant entrances, pick the one that that people turning right into the station will encounter first. For efficiencies sack.
--If station is located between two main roads, place the stop point over the pumps, mid way between the roads, closest to the intersection, if the two road intersect. Waze will have to sort out the best navigation then.
--
Details:
-The polygon should extend to the curb-line / fence-line of all entrances. Until we have the promised multiple stop points, it gives the motorist approaching from the wrong road a good visual indicator where the entrances are.
-When mapping those dopey supermarket gas pumps in the middle of a parking lot, it is normally obvious from the pavement markings what part of the parking lot has been carved out for the gas pumps. Cover that entire area with a polygon, but no more.
-Truck stop Places should cover the entire area where the trucks can park as well.
-For truck stops with both car and truck pumps, Priority for placing the stop point should be given to the car pumps. Waze is primarily an auto commuter app, not a trucking app.
-For stations with pumps that are far off the main road (more than a tenth of a mile in my experience) Draw a parking lot road to the pumps an place the stop point near there. Otherwise users will not be able to update the price while pumping.

When editing Waze supplied stations, don't forget to remove any station numbering or "(Discount Available)" from the station name.

Do not use the "unbranded" option for the station brand.

What else did I forget?
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [UPDATE] Gas Station Places USA

Postby jondrush » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 am

I forget, if there are no entrances, in other words the entire frontage is an entrance, just place the stop point on the curb-line, centered on the pumps.

I'm going to provide profuse illustrations of all these scenarios.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 am

In my opinion, we should be smart about using parking lot roads with gas stations. Parking lot roads are useful for any station which sits on a corner and which is accessible from both streets, especially where both streets are thoroughfares and where access to one entrance from the other thoroughfare is difficult.

Two examples from the same intersection:

This Chevron within the "median" of W Esplanade Ave at its intersection with Causeway Blvd, on the east side. The station is accessible from both roads. Without a parking lot road, the stop point will be closer to either Causeway or W Esplanade, not both.

If it's closer to Causeway, traffic from W Esplanade would be instructed either to continue past Causeway to Severn, to turn left on Causeway and make a U turn somewhere down the line, or something else.

If it's closer to W Esplanade, traffic from Causeway would be instructed to take 12th to Ridgelake, or to pass the station and make a few rights on 9th, Ridgelake, and so forth...

With a parking lot road, it takes you to the right place either way.

For the nearby Exxon, the story isn't so bad, as reasonable-enough instructions would be available as long as the stop point is placed on Causeway. But still, the instructions are more correct if they just tell you to turn into the Exxon.

I'm not saying map every single entrance; one PLR connected to each enterable side is fine.

The rest of your content is great as far as I'm concerned.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm

I think I agree with the guidance as modified by sketch. I think that correct routing to the gas station should be the primary priority. In other words, the ability of passers-by to update the prices should not trump good routing to the station.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Fredo-p » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

jondrush wrote:When editing Waze supplied stations, don't forget to remove any station numbering or "(Discount Available)" from the station name.

So it's not recommended to use station numbers/ID's even thought some stations have numbers, even on the main websites (Circle K #1934)?

Does this cause potential routing issues?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby jondrush » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Who, besides the station owner, knows or cares what the station number is? The adjacent road is much more important to display.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Fredo-p » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Good point.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:09 am

Agreed the station number has no benefit to the driver so it would serve no purpose, but to waste time trying to confirm for editors.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:13 am

FYI, I updated the template on the page to a construction box and linked to this thread.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kobes1878 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Jon -

Great page and thank you for doing this.

Just a few thoughts:
-In the same vein as sketch's point, IMHO I believe it is important to add a parallel PLR to a station with a single entry and exit point off of the same street - especially if that street is a MH, as in this example BP station . Gas stations areas are supposed to suppress automated ME's but adding the PLR is an extra security blanket to maintain the historical average speed data for the main road.
- Noting the importance of the curb/fence guideline is necessary for the "too small polygon" as you stated. I believe it should also be stressed for the opposite scenario of a "too large polygon". Meaning, The AREA should not touch/overlap any (WME drawn) roads, as this will likely negate the collecting of necessary data as well.

I cannot access the conversation you linked to above, so if these points were already discussed please disregard them.

Just to clarify one thing however, does the target actually cue where the price can be updated from? Are you able to elaborate on this if possible? I was always under the assumption that it was a specific radius for the area place/polygon. Is this something that is subject to change to just drivers in the station or passing by?
Using my example station above, presently the BP will show up when I select Update Prices and I am able to update it, on any of these roads.
ImageImageImageImage
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion