[UPDATE] Gas Station Places USA

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [UPDATE] Gas Station Places USA

Postby sketch » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:44 pm

txemt wrote:What about those which are in between 3 major roads? Where does the address point go? Or those between n/s bound lanes or e/w bound lanes? I'm not at the computer now, but I can provide examples of all 3 of these.

If it's between different roads, it should have at least one PLR through the forecourt. That's where the stop point goes.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 am

In my opinion, we should be smart about using parking lot roads with gas stations. Parking lot roads are useful for any station which sits on a corner and which is accessible from both streets, especially where both streets are thoroughfares and where access to one entrance from the other thoroughfare is difficult.

Two examples from the same intersection:

This Chevron within the "median" of W Esplanade Ave at its intersection with Causeway Blvd, on the east side. The station is accessible from both roads. Without a parking lot road, the stop point will be closer to either Causeway or W Esplanade, not both.

If it's closer to Causeway, traffic from W Esplanade would be instructed either to continue past Causeway to Severn, to turn left on Causeway and make a U turn somewhere down the line, or something else.

If it's closer to W Esplanade, traffic from Causeway would be instructed to take 12th to Ridgelake, or to pass the station and make a few rights on 9th, Ridgelake, and so forth...

With a parking lot road, it takes you to the right place either way.

For the nearby Exxon, the story isn't so bad, as reasonable-enough instructions would be available as long as the stop point is placed on Causeway. But still, the instructions are more correct if they just tell you to turn into the Exxon.

I'm not saying map every single entrance; one PLR connected to each enterable side is fine.

The rest of your content is great as far as I'm concerned.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:59 pm

GasBuddy used to be positively fascist about reporting only credit prices. I think so many people complained, that they decided to make the policy "prefer reports of cash price unless not offered."
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 am

You really need to be able to select which price/fuel grade you're looking for, and have meaningful data to present, in order for any gas price finder system to work.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 pm

You're totally right. That's why all of these things come together to make the gas price feature largely useless to me.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 pm

In New Jersey (at least) gas vendors have been given the option of charging a higher price for credit-card-based purchases, for a variety of reasons. Since the Waze Gas Prices system doesn't account for this, it's not very useful to those of us who prefer to use our gas-reward credit cards.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby Kobes1878 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm

sketch wrote:
txemt wrote:What about those which are in between 3 major roads? Where does the address point go? Or those between n/s bound lanes or e/w bound lanes? I'm not at the computer now, but I can provide examples of all 3 of these.

If it's between different roads, it should have at least one PLR through the forecourt. That's where the stop point goes.
jondrush wrote:3 Majors is the same as two. Average the location of the stop point over the pumps.

To that point, on this particular station located between State and County routes, I have the target placed directly above the pumps which happen to be closer to the SR and what would be deemed the main entrance. Would you concur with that placement or prefer to see it more equally averaged on the PLR?
ImageImageImageImage
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Kobes1878 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Thank you for the clear and concise clarification.
ImageImageImageImage
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Kobes1878 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Jon -

Great page and thank you for doing this.

Just a few thoughts:
-In the same vein as sketch's point, IMHO I believe it is important to add a parallel PLR to a station with a single entry and exit point off of the same street - especially if that street is a MH, as in this example BP station . Gas stations areas are supposed to suppress automated ME's but adding the PLR is an extra security blanket to maintain the historical average speed data for the main road.
- Noting the importance of the curb/fence guideline is necessary for the "too small polygon" as you stated. I believe it should also be stressed for the opposite scenario of a "too large polygon". Meaning, The AREA should not touch/overlap any (WME drawn) roads, as this will likely negate the collecting of necessary data as well.

I cannot access the conversation you linked to above, so if these points were already discussed please disregard them.

Just to clarify one thing however, does the target actually cue where the price can be updated from? Are you able to elaborate on this if possible? I was always under the assumption that it was a specific radius for the area place/polygon. Is this something that is subject to change to just drivers in the station or passing by?
Using my example station above, presently the BP will show up when I select Update Prices and I am able to update it, on any of these roads.
ImageImageImageImage
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Tx, when this page goes live, I assume you would change your TX state page to have users map the PLot road inside the station to get these benefits of mapping it?
USA: California (Northern, SF/SJ)

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion