[Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:45 pm

I agree we don't need a buffer if the signage creates a gap between the times between the directions. I also don't think we need a buffer for the mere start of HOV limitations. I don't think no transition time reversible lanes should cause us to use a 15 minute time adjustment for the other circumstances.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:03 am

Reversible actually needs more time, but that depends on how they mark the transition. For example, if the signage actually creates a gap between the times, then that gap allows the to do the zipper work or whatever else is needed to reverse them, and we really don't need to have any buffer. If the end of "northbound" butts up to the start time listed for "southbound," for example, then they've set it up where the switch takes away from the posted times, and we may need more fudge.

George, the only reversible lanes I'm aware of for NJ are the tunnels to NY. In New York, there are some reversible lanes on highways.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby CBenson » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:39 am

By my reading of the page, the time would be added to all time restricted HOV lanes in addition to reversible roadways. Maybe if both need a fudge factor, they should be different.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:24 am

I don't have much experience with like reversible dedicated roadways, since we don't do that in NJ, but it seems reasonable to add a nominal amount of time like 5 or 10 minutes for safety.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ialangford » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:43 pm

5 isn't long enough. 10 would be good.
ialangford
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby qwaletee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:10 pm

I would be OK with any of the above, they're all better than zero.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:53 pm

CBenson wrote:I just hadn't been back to look at this page at all in awhile.
With regard to Multi Use lanes the current page states:
The enforcement time should be expanded to start 15 minutes earlier, to account for drivers who experience traffic along their route prior, and prevent them from accidentally being routed onto the HOV lanes after the enforcement period begins.
These lanes will also require a similar restriction set on ALL the exit ramps, also with the enforcement period expanded to begin 15 minutes early.

And with regard to reversible lanes the current page states:
If the hours are adjacent to each other, meaning that there is no buffer time between the two travel direction of the lanes, then we will have to add a buffer time into to Waze for safety. In that case expand the restriction to start 15 minutes earlier so there is at least a 15 minute window when there travel is restricted in both directions between the open periods.

I'm just noting again that I think 15 minutes is too long for this purpose.

Point taken, can we generate some other opinions or consensus for this; either

A) supporting the 15 minute expansion, or
B) supporting the change to only a 5 minute expansion?

My vote would be on 10 minutes because I often don't get recalculate notices until I'm already 6-8 minutes off schedule. So fiyre 10 minutes is safe.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:38 pm

I just hadn't been back to look at this page at all in awhile.
With regard to Multi Use lanes the current page states:
The enforcement time should be expanded to start 15 minutes earlier, to account for drivers who experience traffic along their route prior, and prevent them from accidentally being routed onto the HOV lanes after the enforcement period begins.
These lanes will also require a similar restriction set on ALL the exit ramps, also with the enforcement period expanded to begin 15 minutes early.

And with regard to reversible lanes the current page states:
If the hours are adjacent to each other, meaning that there is no buffer time between the two travel direction of the lanes, then we will have to add a buffer time into to Waze for safety. In that case expand the restriction to start 15 minutes earlier so there is at least a 15 minute window when there travel is restricted in both directions between the open periods.

I'm just noting again that I think 15 minutes is too long for this purpose.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 pm

CBenson wrote:I'll repeat:
CBenson wrote:I'm not a fan of changing the start times of the restrictions to account for delays while in route. I think its better for us to be accurate and let the user make the final decision. Further, if we are going to adjust the start times, I think 15 minutes is way too long. If you lose 15 minutes in route waze should already be recalculating your route. If we are going to recommend adjusting the start times, I think the adjustment should be a maximum of 5 minutes.

A five minute adjustment seemed to be considered reasonable.

The mention above is not about assisting times, it's about unclear navigation guidance which may confuse a driver into inadvertently entering the lanes while they were really being directed elsewhere.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:56 pm

I'll repeat:
CBenson wrote:I'm not a fan of changing the start times of the restrictions to account for delays while in route. I think its better for us to be accurate and let the user make the final decision. Further, if we are going to adjust the start times, I think 15 minutes is way too long. If you lose 15 minutes in route waze should already be recalculating your route. If we are going to recommend adjusting the start times, I think the adjustment should be a maximum of 5 minutes.

A five minute adjustment seemed to be considered reasonable.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion