[Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 am

DwarfLord wrote:
PesachZ wrote:"Our guidelines in the wiki are correct and the best way to map these lanes now. The edits he made there were probably wrong now looking back at it, and caused by a misunderstanding of the issue. We could fix it back to the standards, as that is probably better than how it is now."

If this hasn't been fixed yet, please correct it to match our guidelines.

Thanks for passing along the info!

The lanes in question were changed back to Parking Lot Roads on 30 December, and both are locked at 5. As they are locked above me, WME prevents me from verifying the specific vehicle types that are restricted. But as a PLR I don't think it matters...?

I am reluctant to assert any ownership of this interchange given that more senior editors, not to mention Waze staff, are actively involved! As the URs are no longer popping up, which was my main concern, I'll return to the background on this one.

Just FYI for future reference you can see the restrictions and the other hidden items such as user report outside editing area by using practice mode

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC} {ARC}
Has thanked: 1983 times
Been thanked: 2188 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby DwarfLord » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 am

PesachZ wrote:"Our guidelines in the wiki are correct and the best way to map these lanes now. The edits he made there were probably wrong now looking back at it, and caused by a misunderstanding of the issue. We could fix it back to the standards, as that is probably better than how it is now."

If this hasn't been fixed yet, please correct it to match our guidelines.

Thanks for passing along the info!

The lanes in question were changed back to Parking Lot Roads on 30 December, and both are locked at 5. As they are locked above me, WME prevents me from verifying the specific vehicle types that are restricted. But as a PLR I don't think it matters...?

I am reluctant to assert any ownership of this interchange given that more senior editors, not to mention Waze staff, are actively involved! As the URs are no longer popping up, which was my main concern, I'll return to the background on this one.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California USA
Has thanked: 866 times
Been thanked: 1114 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby PesachZ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:35 pm

PesachZ wrote:
DwarfLord wrote:Just a note, Ohad is doing some editing of the carpool lanes where 85 meets 101.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 901&zoom=4

As I mentioned earlier, I have not tracked the HOV-lane conversation. I'm not mentioning this to say one way is better than another, because I don't know!

It is just that it is extraordinarily rare for me to see Waze staff editing situations like this, especially when there is an ongoing discussion in the forums about the best way to handle them, so I thought folks might like to be aware.

We are trying to get to the bottom of it.

I spoke to ohad at the NYC meetup, and he said he would update this thread. I see he hasn't had a chance yet, so I'll relay what he told me.

"Our guidelines in the wiki are correct and the best way to map these lanes now. The edits he made there were probably wrong now looking back at it, and caused by a misunderstanding of the issue. We could fix it back to the standards, as that is probably better than how it is now."

If this hasn't been fixed yet, please correct it to match our guidelines.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC} {ARC}
Has thanked: 1983 times
Been thanked: 2188 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby eaglejm7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:37 am

eaglejm7 wrote:
sketch wrote:
eaglejm7 wrote:It seems that time based restrictions on a private road do not work. My son's school has a road that is private (non-school days it is blocked by gates at both ends), but during school days it is completely closed for an hour in the morning and 40 minutes in the afternoon. In the afternoon, there is a further 2 hours of one way for extended carpool. Since it is gated, it is marked as private. When navigating to a point on that street, the time based direction restrictions appear to be ignored as it keeps routing me the wrong way on the street. When I approach from the other direction (as I always do), it allows routing along the street that way as well.

It is known that a segment restriction will not function for a single segment when you have your destination on that segment. The penalty is assessed at the end of the segment, not the start. Use a time-based turn restriction in addition to the segment restriction in order to make it work.

OK, I will add turn based restrictions this evening - after the scout meeting.

I believe I have done it correctly. I created turn restrictions into the restricted segment, but not out of the restricted segment.
eaglejm7
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:06 am

sketch wrote:It is known that a segment restriction will not function for a single segment when you have your destination on that segment. The penalty is assessed at the end of the segment, not the start. Use a time-based turn restriction in addition to the segment restriction in order to make it work.

This should also be in the wiki
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm
Location: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby eaglejm7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 pm

sketch wrote:
eaglejm7 wrote:It seems that time based restrictions on a private road do not work. My son's school has a road that is private (non-school days it is blocked by gates at both ends), but during school days it is completely closed for an hour in the morning and 40 minutes in the afternoon. In the afternoon, there is a further 2 hours of one way for extended carpool. Since it is gated, it is marked as private. When navigating to a point on that street, the time based direction restrictions appear to be ignored as it keeps routing me the wrong way on the street. When I approach from the other direction (as I always do), it allows routing along the street that way as well.

It is known that a segment restriction will not function for a single segment when you have your destination on that segment. The penalty is assessed at the end of the segment, not the start. Use a time-based turn restriction in addition to the segment restriction in order to make it work.

OK, I will add turn based restrictions this evening - after the scout meeting.
eaglejm7
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby sketch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:44 pm

PesachZ wrote:What shield

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2

The forum badge. You won't see it on Tapatalk
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5854
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1391 times
Been thanked: 1884 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby PesachZ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:38 pm

What shield

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4359
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC} {ARC}
Has thanked: 1983 times
Been thanked: 2188 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby sketch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:53 pm

The beard doesn't match the hair, but that's sorta true for my own beard as well. :D
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5854
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1391 times
Been thanked: 1884 times

Re: [Update] Partial restrictions (time and vehicle type)

Postby qwaletee » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:48 pm

I just noticed in Sketch's post that the MapRaider shield's forward wheel looks just like a beard. Conspiracy?
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2871
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 1111 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users