[Update] Map Editing Quick-Start Guide

Post by tonestertm
I was just about to point a new editor to all the usual suspects and found that this page still discusses restricting U-turns at Dead-Ends. Obviously, this won't be too much of a problem, except for being confusing, since we can't even see them any more, but it should probably be pulled.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

POSTER_ID:12160166

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Done. Replace with message noting it has changed now for those who used to know it was there.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
tonestertm wrote:Found another line which seems fundamentally lacking:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_Editing_ ... ate_a_Road
Create a road wrote:Each segment that is added must minimally have the Country and State information added to it or it will stay as a red line and not be seen in the live map after the next update.
This of course, leaves out the fact that City and Street must be filled or have None checked, to get the Red out. :)

I also muse on the notion of having an illustration of a Red Road somewhere in the wiki, either on this page, or in this section of this other page: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Creating_and ... ng_details
just to call it out to beginners. Thoughts?
The quick start pages link to more details. I would not propose adding more than we have now on that page. If you edit the segment to update the country and state, you cannot continue without picking a name or none for the other two. I think that is beyond the quick start, but I am open to thoughts.

On the other page, I do think an image of red roads would be a good comparison, but maybe we need a link to another page showing that in more detail. I think the new [[Common editing mistakes]] page would be a good place to link since it already covers it.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
Found another line which seems fundamentally lacking:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_Editing_ ... ate_a_Road
Create a road wrote:Each segment that is added must minimally have the Country and State information added to it or it will stay as a red line and not be seen in the live map after the next update.
This of course, leaves out the fact that City and Street must be filled or have None checked, to get the Red out. :)

I also muse on the notion of having an illustration of a Red Road somewhere in the wiki, either on this page, or in this section of this other page: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Creating_and ... ng_details
just to call it out to beginners. Thoughts?
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
kentsmith9 wrote:The quick start pages link to more details. I would not propose adding more than we have now on that page. If you edit the segment to update the country and state, you cannot continue without picking a name or none for the other two. I think that is beyond the quick start, but I am open to thoughts.
All I was originally thinking about was adding the two words and removing one:
Each segment that is added must have the Country, State, City and Street information added to it or it will stay as a red line and not be seen in the live map after the next update.
then realized that even this statement is incorrect and needs to be something like,
Each segment that is added must have the Country, State, City and Street information added or it will stay as a red line in the editor and will not be used for routing in the app or live map after the next update.
My thinking in having even a small image is that I'd rather catch new editors earlier, if they happen to be reading the wiki before making errors, rather than after the fact being pointed to the Incorrect Edits page. A visual of the situation is FAR more iconic than describing it in words. Someone may read "red roads" and go on past it, but when they see an image in the wiki and then notice it in their own work, it's more likely to ring a bell, IMHO...

But, at the least, a link to the images on the Incorrect Edits page should be implemented. Good idea.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message