[New Template] State Template suite

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby PesachZ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:52 pm

KB_Steveo wrote:Any objections to changing the Other Area Editors table blurb

from: "The following editors are also editing in the state and working towards an Area Manager position."

to: "The following editors are also editing in the state and part of the [STATE] GHO"

Thanks.

I would say I object, even if you wrote "GHO/Slack", as it precludes those active editors who prefer to communicate solely via WME and forums/PMs. Those editors are still following the rules, and should be invited to add themselves to these tables to promote better communication.

OTOH I wanted to change the wording so it doesn't seem to exclude those who are not interested in an AM role. I'd like to suggest the following sentence.
The following editors are also editing in the state and may be working towards an Area Manager position.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:56 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
crazycaveman wrote:What if we remove any wording of area manager?

The following editors are also editing in the state and may be contacted for assistance in their areas.

PesachZ wrote:I wanted to change the wording so it doesn't seem to exclude those who are not interested in an AM role. I'd like to suggest the following sentence.
The following editors are also editing in the state and may be working towards an Area Manager position.

This is a good idea and an oversight when I initially created the template. I will make this change now as I see no down side to making it more universally applicable to the members in that section.
The following editors are also editing in the state and may be working towards an Area Manager position. Feel free to contact them for assistance in their respective areas.

However, as I was checking the state pages to ensure it updated, I now realize my template created a subpage and hard coded that content, rather than calling the subtemplate. Let me investigate why I did that to see if I can move it back to a subtemplate for easier maintenance. It may take a few days to resolve and cascade through the templates.

Should the word "contact" link back to the community section?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:18 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Should the word "contact" link back to the community section?

I assume when looking at the table, if you saw an area of interest, you would use the PM link to the editor in that area. Do we need to be so specific in the text? If yes, then I recommend we do that at the top of the entire Area Manager section where we tell the reader to contact the editor directly.

The idea being that PM may not be the best method in states that rely heavily on a different platform (GHO/Slack/G+/…).

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am

KB_Steveo wrote:Well, I was planning on doing it in my state only, but I do like the dialogue that I have sparked.

All I really wanted was a place to keep track of everyone in our GHO. I recently contacted an editor (starting from a reply to my UR in WME). After checking our other lists, I didn't see his username anywhere and gave him the customary welcome PM, only to find out that not only was he already in the GHO - he had already met Lonewolf147 and another editor in person.

Based on some of the replies, I will be making a link in the community section to the GHO member sheet I have started instead.

Just let us know when the fix has been made to the template :)

Take a look at our NY tables, we added users GHO name and/or avatar on their row to correlate with their waze persona. It's working really well for us, and there's no duplicate lists to maintain.

This is done using the |GHO=XXXXX and |pic=XXXX.png parameters I added to the {{AM/Editor}} template.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 am

KB_Steveo wrote:
PesachZ wrote:
KB_Steveo wrote:Well, I was planning on doing it in my state only, but I do like the dialogue that I have sparked.

All I really wanted was a place to keep track of everyone in our GHO. I recently contacted an editor (starting from a reply to my UR in WME). After checking our other lists, I didn't see his username anywhere and gave him the customary welcome PM, only to find out that not only was he already in the GHO - he had already met Lonewolf147 and another editor in person.

Based on some of the replies, I will be making a link in the community section to the GHO member sheet I have started instead.

Just let us know when the fix has been made to the template :)

Take a look at our NY tables, we added users GHO name and/or avatar on their row to correlate with their waze persona. It's working really well for us, and there's no duplicate lists to maintain.

This is done using the |GHO=XXXXX and |pic=XXXX.png parameters I added to the {{AM/Editor}} template.

I did do that on the WI page, but that doesn't help with editors who aren't listed in the tables, if you go back to the situation I am trying to avoid.

It's really easy and fast to get a current list of people in the GHO and see if they are active... Not so much on the Waze side of things

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Is anything currently preventing you listing everyone in the tables?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 am

KB_Steveo wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I think TN, MD, and VA are all using the widget if you want to see sample code in use.

Thanks. I've also seen it on the TTS page.

Another change that needs to be made under the lock standards
Note: Exception: At the request of an AM (or other trusted local editor) a State Manager (SM) may optionally lower an entire area to facilitate local editing. Requests must be formally recorded in the US Unlock Forum, but can be discussed and pre-approved by an SM beforehand. The AM should request the locks be raised again to standard when the area has stabilized; the request should be made in the same thread where the unlock was originally requested. SMs should use caution when uplocking an area to standard: If the area is consistently locked below standard, it might have been granted such an exception, and should not be uplocked without verification.
as of the format, "Note: Exception:" is really goofy looking from a technical writing standpoint.

I would change it to
Exceptions:
  • At the request... (no changes to this part)
  • Complex intersections may also have their locks at higher levels than listed in the tables. In these cases, please contact the last editor or a SM before editing the segments. Once changes have been made, the locks should be put back if deemed necessary.
OR at least make the technical formatting change so a SM can add another exception.

What do you think?

Once we're looking at this, I think many states have moved away from requiring all unlock requested to be handled in the forum. Many unlocks are granted daily in WME chat, GHO, Slack, and G+. Do we really need it recorded in the forum?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:30 am

kentsmith9 wrote:I should think each state can decide how they want to handle the requests for their state. Many states don't have active alternate paths other than the forum, so they would stick with that.

I don't believe the current text mentioned above is in the hard template. I think it was added for a particular state, so that state can decide.

You're correct I don't see it in the hard coded text. It is a state local text then it should be discussed in the local state forum.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:10 pm

KB_Steveo wrote:I didn't see that independently in WI. I will look again.

The way I read the text is that the forum request is for large areas that deviate from the standard, not individual requests, which are commonly handled through other channels you listed

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That paragraph in the state wiki is actually coming with the locking table. When the locking standard was set in the wiki for WI, it included that text.

You can see, and/or modify that code - after reaching a consensus on your local WI community and discussing with your RC - on the {{Lock Standard State}} template. This template products the locking table and the text that comes before and/or after it. When set up for WI that paragraph was included. Here is a copy of the WI code pulled from that template, you can see the text of included as the |note= parameter.
Code: Select all
| WI = {{Locking Standard
   |title=Statewide
   |Fwy=5|Ramp=Highest rank of connected segment|MH=3|mH=2|PS=2|Street=1
   |note=Exception: At the request of an AM (or other trusted local editor) a [[State Manager/USA | State Manager]] (SM) may optionally lower an entire area to facilitate local editing. Requests must be formally recorded in the [https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=622 US Unlock Forum], but can be discussed and pre-approved by an SM beforehand. The AM should request the locks be raised again to standard when the area has stabilized; the request should be made in the same thread where the unlock was originally requested. SMs should use caution when uplocking an area to standard: If the area is consistently locked below standard, it might have been granted such an exception, and should not be uplocked without verification.}}

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:14 pm

I added a link to the users' profile in the editors tables at the bottom of the pages. THis is in the form of the profile avatar for that editors rank. Clicking that editors profile avatar (after the PM link) will take you to their editor profile. If a rank is not listed it uses the image for rank 2.

the tables will have to be refreshed in each state for these links to show up.

example: see the NY page
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:26 am

kentsmith9 wrote:On the dirt road comment, I see what you mean. I think the Dirt Road page is not bad, but I think we can prevent the circular reference by changing the Dirt Road page to (changes in red):

Dirt Road wrote:In some areas of the country, improved unpaved roads (gravel, macadam, etc.) are set to this type. In other areas, improved unpaved roads, and possibly certain dirt roads, will be set to other types, as if they were paved. Check your state page for details on whether your state follows unique guidelines for dirt roads or contact your regional coordinator for further guidance.

Sounds good but should probably be mentioned in the update thread for that page.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion