[New Template] State Template suite

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [New Template] State Template suite

Postby PesachZ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:09 am

I have updated the {{AM/...}} suite of templates, used to build the AM (and CM, SM, and Other area editors) tables at the bottom of the state template pages. I added some optional named parameters which allow the table display to be modified so it also shows a Google Hangouts (or #Slack) avatar and display name.

This was requested by the NY editors as a way to track of who's who in the state editors GHO. We thankfully have >100 members, most of which have display names in Google HO which do not match their Waze username. Using this modification to the AM tables, a quick glance will help you match the Google personality to the Waze editor profile.

I edited two of the templates {{AM/Top}} (and {{AM/TopExample}} but that doesn't really count) , and {{AM/Editor}}

The changes are now documented in the respective /doc pages as well.

In {{AM/Top}} I added 2 named parameters, these will add a new line in the header row under "Username" and display a Google hangouts lookalike icon, and the default text "GHO Display Name".
Using the second parameter I added, you can change the default text to say anything you'd like.
The two parameters are
Code: Select all
|gho=yes
This activates the extra line, and shows the icon
|ghoName=YOUR NAME HERE
This only works if |gho=yes is used, and it will override the default text for the header row.

In {{AM/Editor}} I also added two optional named parameters. The first when used will add a new line under the username, with the GHO display name. The second parameter is put your Google avatar in the AM to the left of your GHO display name. If you do not provide an avatar image link, then a Google style color tile with your GHO initial in it will be used for familiarity.
The two parameters are
|gho=YOUR DISPLAY NAME
This will add the new line under your username in the state wiki AM to display your GHO name.
|pic=File:Avatar USERNAME.png
If you provide and image link from inside our wiki (upload your avatar to the wiki first using this name format), then your avatar will be display beside your GHO name. If not a generic Google style color tile will be displayed instead.

You DO NOT need to use the modified {{AM/Top}} in order to take advantage of the modified {{AM/Editor}} template, they are independent.

For more details, and sample usage see the Template:AM/Editor/doc page. If you want you can also see it in action in the NY wiki which just recently started incorporating it.

These changes will have NO effect on existing state pages and AM tables, they must actively be turned on by using these parameters for them.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Great work PesachZ. I can see where this would really help members.

If anyone would like to see an example of the table update options, check out the NY area manager table.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:35 am

jlspence99 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Dirt Roads. We can certainly make each road type optional, but that might be some extensive template building for little return. If we think it is only the dirt roads that is a problem, maybe we pull dirt roads out or make the direct roads optional. Thoughts?

I do believe dirt roads are unique in the way they route, and therefore in the way they are handled in the few states that rely heavily on them for their upper classes.

I support dirt roads specifically to be moved to optional content, or designed with a parameter similar to cameras.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2

Any update on Dirt Road handling?

Sorry I got behind on this item. I'll take a look this weekend and see if we can add some easy controls without having to manually update all the deployed templates. If not then we will find a solution to use the tool we have to do the update work.

At first glance I think the easy solution is to update the universal section to remove Dirt Roads from the standardized list and let each state add their dirt road specifics it to the optional section. Anything more automated will require a lot more programming and might be more complex for the state editors over just typing some simple text in the optional section.

OR...What if in the Wiki USA dirt road page we add the state specific information? Maybe we have a table with states that deviate from the norm from all other states. States that do something different for dirt roads can also include that information in the optional section of their template. This solution requires NO change to the template. ;)

Are there other road types we treat differently by state other than dirt roads?

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:41 am

The State Template has been successfully deployed across the USA with great feedback. We have not been pushing the new template simply because it requires someone to move any custom material from the current state page to the new template. I would like to propose that we finish the job and get all the states updated to the new template.

The following states are still pending moving to the new template:

In the prior 33 pages of replies in this thread, I did not see any reason we cannot have all the states on the new template. I can volunteer to move all content from any page that has not had any active updates in the last 6 months (other than area manager edits).

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcrandall » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:48 am

kentsmith9 wrote:Utah - No template page yet

http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Utah/Test

David
"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley
[ img ]
US Country Manager
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:02 am

Thanks David. I stand corrected. The template marker on the base Utah page was set up without the link. I will fix that.

Is it ready to go live?

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcrandall » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:32 am

kentsmith9 wrote:Thanks David. I stand corrected. The template marker on the base Utah page was set up without the link. I will fix that.

Is it ready to go live?

I need to do a final feedback request in the UT Forum and then, depending on the response, it should be.
"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley
[ img ]
US Country Manager
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:27 pm

New Hampshire is now on the new template. Thanks team.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SkiDooGuy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:42 pm

@kentsmith9 - Sent you a hangout message.
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Ohio is now completed.

Thanks SkiDooGuy.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion