Creating and Editing Road Segments

Moderator: Unholy

Creating and Editing Road Segments

Postby voludu2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 am

I did a little editing out of order (before discussion). My apologies -- as a former wikipedia editor, I am used to boldly editing first, then reverting and/or discussing if necessary. I promise I will adjust as I learn the culture here.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Creating_and ... d_segments

I also posted a note about my recent edits in the wrong place:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 82#p870782

If the community does not prefer these edits, please revert any inappropriate changes.
Thanks!

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Re: Creating and Editing Road Segments

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 am

Thanks for letting us know about the changes. We value good Wiki editors and we welcome you to the family.

I will just ask that you be sure to review the Wiki etiquette and Wiki subforum purpose threads.

I am not saying you violated any of those guidelines. I am just ensuring that you understand the guidelines we all follow.

With respect to your changes, any spelling or grammar errors can certainly be made with no question. Just be sure the element is for sure wrong and not somehow intentional.

Changes to anything that would be considered a mapping guideline should be reviewed in the forum first. We try to post the current content here and then our proposed change to get feedback. Sometimes we just make a change on our user subpages and post a link. Once consensus is reached, then make the changes.

I also hold admin rights to the Wiki, so I can also delete and protect pages as needed for us.

If you are interested in greater Wiki editing, I recommend you review this forum for threads I have created that discuss some of our infrastructure elements. We have many of the same abilities as Wikipedia, and some things that are different to support our needs. Most specifically we support subpages in the main namespace (unlike Wikipedia).

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks for the kindly welcome. I have read the wiki etiquette forum post.

I would suggest a small addition to that etiquette post. I made a change that would be non-controversial, I think, in terms of content. However, because it is a change to a mapping guideline, I should have brought it for discussion here. So I would suggest the following. One might say "well, any change to a mapping guideline is controversial", but of course, to those who most need to read the etiquette article, it might not seem that way. I made what I believed to be a clarification to the mapping guideline, and I added a beginner-level how-to that anyone would probably agree with, but because I was messing with mapping guidelines, I should have brought it for discussion, and I would have if I had read the etiquette posting first.

Any controversial change or change to a mapping guideline should be brought up in the forum before making it in the Wiki. Once a consensus is reached, the change can be made. If such a change is made without following this guideline that change should be reverted until it is approved through this process.

Of course, you cannot guarantee someone will read the etiquette before their first wiki edit, but at least it they can be told before their second or third edit. :)

Thanks!

[ img ]
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 pm

voludu2 wrote:I would suggest a small addition to that etiquette post...

Good idea. Done.

I also added that content to our Wiki page on Etiquette.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:10 pm

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Creating_and ... w_junction

I used this terminology in chat and was completely misunderstood. Newbie mistake.
Because "split" has come to mean "to replace a 2-way segment with 2 1-way segments", can we change the terminology here to "cut"?

Really, split a highway" should be "divide a highway", because the highway gets divided.
This section really describes a cut-and-rejoined segment.
====Cut a segment to create a new junction====
If it is necessary to change road information in the middle of a segment (road name, direction, city, type, or other information changes at that point), one way to cut the road is to create a new road and connect it to the first road. Begin or end the new road on the previous road to create a new junction. Then delete the new road -- the junction remains, and the previous road segment has been cut in two at the point where you created and deleted the road.

[ img ]
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion