[New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Moderator: Unholy

[New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby voludu2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:45 pm

This page can now be found in https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Map_Editor/Welcome
My aim is still to get some of this information onto the first page that any new WM editor will see when they hit that "wiki" link the first time -- http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... map_editor
-------
We are joined by "new recruits" all the time, and I'd kind of like to have more. There are tons of wazers making URs every day, and if a fraction of them could just fix the direction on the street they live on, then we'd be in pretty good shape.

I am thinking about an "intake" article.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Voludu2 ... ap_Editing

Please feel free to type stuff right into it.

I want the new editors to see more emphasis on contacting other editors and less on trying to figure it out on their own. Chat can be intimidating. So they should introduce themselves, and get a resounding "hello Norm" back. that sort of thing.

Eventually, I would like to include a link to it in some UR comments from sensible-sounding wazers who describe their problems well. "Well spotted. If you see any more like this, you can help by fixing them yourself. Learn how at ...."
Last edited by voludu2 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm
Location: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 776 times
Been thanked: 1194 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby PesachZ » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:55 am

I think this page is a great simple starting for brand new editors whose only education is the intro video. I would like to see it added soemwhere ubiquitous. Say ... http://www.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Map_Editor/Welcome .
It could be linked to from the quick start guide, the main page, the common editing mistakes page, Mentoring resources for rank 1, and welcome to waze PMs.

I vote for this page. If you agree please show support, if not please provide constructive criticism below.
Thanks
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2353 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby orbitc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:02 am

voludu2 wrote:We are joined by "new recruits" all the time, and I'd kind of like to have more. There are tons of wazers making URs every day, and if a fraction of them could just fix the direction on the street they live on, then we'd be in pretty good shape.

I am thinking about an "intake" article.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Voludu2 ... ap_Editing

Please feel free to type stuff right into it.

I want the new editors to see more emphasis on contacting other editors and less on trying to figure it out on their own. Chat can be intimidating. So they should introduce themselves, and get a resounding "hello Norm" back. that sort of thing.

Eventually, I would like to include a link to it in some UR comments from sensible-sounding wazers who describe their problems well. "Well spotted. If you see any more like this, you can help by fixing them yourself. Learn how at ...."


This is great!
I would like to add this to our mentoring as one of the courses. This would be very nice for all new editors and perhaps some of the mid level editors too. :)
We already working on something similar where we can collaborate. Kobe and Shaq are working on that project. I will let them know.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider
 
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: USA
Has thanked: 2576 times
Been thanked: 6542 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby Shaq23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:03 am

I think every new/potential editor will find this page really useful! It's a hands on, with "Step by Step" instructions in order to start out on the right foot. All while keeping it short and to the point.

Great job putting this together voludu!
PesachZ wrote:I think this page is a great simple starting for brand new editors whose only education is the intro video. I would like to see it added soemwhere ubiquitous. Say ... http://www.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Map_Editor/Welcome .
It could be linked to from the quick start guide, the main page, the common editing mistakes page, Mentoring resources for rank 1, and welcome to waze PMs.

I vote for this page. If you agree please show support, if not please provide constructive criticism below.
Thanks

Agreed. I don't know if this is possible, but maybe there can be a way to have an automated Welcome PM sent out to editors (first time they log into WME) with a link to this page along with some of the useful wiki pages.
"with so many Waze, why settle for less?"
[ img ][ img ]
Shaq23
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby ct13 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 am

Shaq23 wrote:I think every new/potential editor will find this page really useful! It's a hands on, with "Step by Step" instructions in order to start out on the right foot. All while keeping it short and to the point.

Great job putting this together voludu!


I think that one of the tasks of AMs or SMs could be to send a boilerplate PM to every L1 that edits in an area. This task would be infinitely more simple if someone used WME Data Store to export a list of all the new editors in an area. I say this since even if Waze agreed to an automated PM, it would be "soon" before they got this implemented. I know DwarfLord was a fan of a PM that would lock people out of editing if they didn't read them; maybe, this could be incorporated someone how as protection for the map, so that every editor that is going to continue to edit, knows about the wiki and would be contactable.
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: Virginia
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 273 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby voludu2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:43 am

In the short term, every editor (whether AM or not), can send a boilerplate PM to new editors with a link to this page and a "more information for new editors" page. I am also developing a "how to welcome new editors" page with some boilerplate text.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm
Location: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 776 times
Been thanked: 1194 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby Shaq23 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:42 am

ct13 wrote:I think that one of the tasks of AMs or SMs could be to send a boilerplate PM to every L1 that edits in an area. This task would be infinitely more simple if someone used WME Data Store to export a list of all the new editors in an area. I say this since even if Waze agreed to an automated PM, it would be "soon" before they got this implemented. I know DwarfLord was a fan of a PM that would lock people out of editing if they didn't read them; maybe, this could be incorporated someone how as protection for the map, so that every editor that is going to continue to edit, knows about the wiki and would be contactable.

We try and spot as many new editors as possible. A lot of the time, if not most the new editors are spotted through incorrect edits (i.e. red roads). I like you idea of a possible generated list of all new editors, which can then be welcomed properly.
"with so many Waze, why settle for less?"
[ img ][ img ]
Shaq23
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby PesachZ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 am

Shaq23 wrote:
ct13 wrote:I think that one of the tasks of AMs or SMs could be to send a boilerplate PM to every L1 that edits in an area. This task would be infinitely more simple if someone used WME Data Store to export a list of all the new editors in an area. I say this since even if Waze agreed to an automated PM, it would be "soon" before they got this implemented. I know DwarfLord was a fan of a PM that would lock people out of editing if they didn't read them; maybe, this could be incorporated someone how as protection for the map, so that every editor that is going to continue to edit, knows about the wiki and would be contactable.

We try and spot as many new editors as possible. A lot of the time, if not most the new editors are spotted through incorrect edits (i.e. red roads). I like you idea of a possible generated list of all new editors, which can then be welcomed properly.

There are over 1.1 million editors currently worldwide. The list of new monthly editors just in NA is in the 4 digits. This was attempted before, but we simply didn't have the manpower. Perhaps with a new concerted effort, spearheaded by the SMs, this could be accomplished.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2353 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby voludu2 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:01 am

So what needs to be added to this document?

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm
Location: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 776 times
Been thanked: 1194 times

Re: [New Page Proposal] "New and prospective editors" portal

Postby PesachZ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:11 am

voludu2 wrote:So what needs to be added to this document?

I can't think of anything specific, but collectively we should try to flesh out the last section. What to do next.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2353 times

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users