Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
We were discussing this in the SM Hangout last night. I don't know of a consensus for it, and nobody on the Hangout seemed to either. (Albeit, only sketch and I actually gave opinions.)

Can you please provide a link to the forum where it was agreed that was the way to go, it would be very much appreciated. From what I recall, you were working on a revision last month that included the language, and you defended it y saying that it essentially made explicit what was in the original AlanofTheBerg tbale. But there was some opposition to it at the time, and Alan's original work was really a very quick, lightly debated work in response to teh sudden appearance of Places.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Timbones wrote:The purpose of this paragraph is to explain that "Gas Stations and Parking Lots should be mapped to the edges of the property (or at least to the drivable area);" as an exception to the preceding guidelines about Area Place size. As the polygon doesn't have any other special properties, there's no need to mention PLRs here. That detail will be on the appropriate sub-page.

Less is more. No need to say anything else. Readers will have to follow the links if they need to know more, which consolidates all the information into one place (for maintainability and simplicity).

The links in this paragraph could be consolidated into the first mentions of Gas Station and Parking Lots. No need to say "see X for more".

My 2c.

Your suggestion fits well with wiki maintainability AND with keeping articles short. Dave's objection is that it makes it harder to use the wiki and more likely that the reader will end up with incoplete or incorrect information.

I hope there's a safety net for this balancing act.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Place data is a concern, like map data, but much less so. A phone number is just a single fact, not a collection of organized information. It would be hard to argue that it violates IP.

However, the narrative description would be much more problematic. Even opening hours and the like could be more problematic.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
I cleaned up the headings and added some info on naming of combination Places (i.e., points within areas).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
MGODLEW wrote:I think we need a section "Determining Acceptable Photos" to give editors some guidelines for what is an acceptable photo for a place. Like, should a photo be taken straight on or can a side angle photo work too? If it is in a shopping center, should it be focused on the place itself or contain attached places as well? What is the maximum distance a photo should be taken at? Do we want to allow photos taken at night or only during the day? I mean I could think of at least a dozen more of potential should these be a guideline for what is deemed to be an acceptable photo or not.
We don't yet have enough info to be that definitive. For example, I believe Waze intends to automatically choose the best picture based on the time of day, your approach direction, and so forth. Places look different at night than they do in the day, so both pictures are helpful, and if Waze is going to use them with awareness in this way, then we shouldn't be deleting anything, really.

I think we can say that interior photos should be deleted, but even then, not always. Places inside a shopping mall obviously are going to be taken inside, and those should stay.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
What is a "proper angle"? If it's an image of the exterior of the place, it's better than no image. If the only good thing that came from the submission is the photo, accept it and change the other details manually. The photo is the one thing you definitely can't add in the editor.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Waze's intention as noted above is to allow interior photos, and to remove only inappropriate photos.

Approaching-destination is not the only use for photos; it's clear that Waze intends to have photos available for users to look through when selecting a destination, not just when arriving at one. Think of Foursquare and Yelp photos, except with additional exterior photos that are unlikely to be found on those services.

I find it interesting also that Waze has actually spoken on what should be an area and what should be a point.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Fredo-p wrote: Can we get a clarification from Waze as to how it should be entered. Last thing I want to do is go back and change every single one. I'm sure some phones will be able to recognize it, but others may not.
They are automatically formatted in the client. Just enter the digits, or whatever you want.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote: Yes, unfortunately they didn't touch on our medical office and emergency services debate.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing that's up to us.

It's like the difference between Congress and an agency. Congress passes the Clean Air Act requiring certain general things but mostly empowering the EPA, which has to decide what actually passes (numerically speaking) for acceptable emissions.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote: It just occurred to me, that having photos of the interior could be helpful for someone choosing a destination, to decide if that's the place they really want to go to. With the new places search you can actually see the pictures when you search for your destination in the app.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
You already replied to my post where I said just that ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message