[Page update] Places for WME+App v3.9

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page update] Places for WME+App v3.9

Postby bretmcvey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Areas classified as either Gas Station or Parking Lot suppress auto-traffic slowdown reports (traffic pollution prevention) from what I understand. I believe if either of those two categorized areas overlap a street segment it will add a penalty to routing by those areas.
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
[ img ]
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Has this changed with the current places implementation? I had thought that jam highlight suppression was not true as discussed here. I'm not aware of a penalty to route through any area place. But if its a small penalty, I may just have never noticed the effect of such a penalty.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bretmcvey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm

I've ran some route testing where a parking lot area for a campus lot prevented routing down an obvious street, slight route suggestion changes as well when I pulled back a gas station area from the edge of a road.

I'm in the camp of reducing area noise by using some creative license and snapping towards a road, but it does appear even if slight that parking lot areas and gas station areas could cause trouble. So I've recently started moving my gas station areas especially just a bit back from the adjacent streets.

If I'm wrong in this assumption let me know, but in running tests, it appears to be directly related.
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
[ img ]
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Could be some kind of penalty that I'm not aware of.

But back to the topic, I don't think we are mapping gas stations as areas to trigger any routing penalty. Seems the only reason that gas stations need to be areas is to serve as landmarks. (Assuming the gas price function works for point gas stations, which I think I recall someone saying it does.)
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby sketch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:52 pm

CBenson is correct, the traffic suppression is not real. Apparently gas station areas should suppress "missing road" MPs, though.

We retain gas stations as areas because gas stations are of particular relevance to drivers and to Waze users.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ialangford » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 pm

The last round of MP's they gave us had lots of "missing road" MP's in gas stations.
[ img ]
CM-USA ; SM-South Carolina
Wer resten, der rosten.
ialangford
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby PesachZ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:54 am

bretmcvey wrote:I've ran some route testing where a parking lot area for a campus lot prevented routing down an obvious street, slight route suggestion changes as well when I pulled back a gas station area from the edge of a road.

I'm in the camp of reducing area noise by using some creative license and snapping towards a road, but it does appear even if slight that parking lot areas and gas station areas could cause trouble. So I've recently started moving my gas station areas especially just a bit back from the adjacent streets.

If I'm wrong in this assumption let me know, but in running tests, it appears to be directly related.

Best practices dictate area places should never be snapped to roads. It makes selection of the nodes, geo-nodes, etc. much harder afterwards.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:01 am

Don't sweat the small stuff.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm

I've gone ahead and transitioned the proposed Landmark language into the Places wiki article, here, with some further wordsmithing since my last proposal:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places#Landmarks

I've also changed the "Both/size-dependent" language in the table for Factory/Industrial, Offices, and Camping/Trailer Park to "Point/May be Area if Landmark" with the word Landmark a link to the new section.

I did not change the entry for Conventions/Event Center, as there was a question about that, and I am unsure about it myself. That entry continues to say Both/size-dependent.

In the US there seems to be general agreement that ordinary retailers should not get Area Places. However I am not sure about that protocol in other countries. We may need to revisit the Retailers subsection to avoid being excessively US-centric.

(EDIT: I just modified the table to say "Point/May be Area if Landmark" for Tourist Attraction/Historic Site as well.)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby ialangford » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:01 pm

I like the proposal, especially the difference between "local reference" and "landmark", but please define "retailer". My suggestion is this:

"Retailer" doesn't just include a typical retail store like Kohls but also groceries, supermarkets, restaurants, auto part stores, etc. Anything where you can walk in and buy something is a "retailer".

On the other hand I propose that landmark office buildings, research facilities, and factories dedicated to a single company are not excluded by the retailer rule, but should be affixed with some sort of suffix. Therefore, the Bluecross Blueshield headquarters should have "HQ" or "Headquarters" affixed to the end instead of being called simply "Bluecross Blueshield". Similarly, it should be "Michelin Manufacturing" instead of just "Michelin". If there is a way of further distinguishing the factory, it should be used in addition to the suffix. Thus, it's called "Roche Carolina Manufacturing" instead of "Roche Manufacturing" or "Roche Carolina".
[ img ]
CM-USA ; SM-South Carolina
Wer resten, der rosten.
ialangford
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion