Gas Station Naming

Moderator: Unholy

Gas Station Naming

Postby pumrum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm

I would like to recommend adding a note to the Gas Station guidance that the name of the gas station should be something that clearly identifies the station - most typically the brand. In rare cases where the brand of gas is not obvious, it should be the name displayed on the huge price sign at the street (e.g. Manny's Gas & Go). I come across a lot of gas stations all over the country where there are 3 or 4 stations in a very close area, but they're all named either with their street address, or the name of the LLC/Corp that owns the station - which makes it very difficult to tell which gas station you're reporting prices for (or which gas station Waze is trying to get you to once you are there).

Lo and behold, there is a perfect example on the main Gas Stations wiki page: This picture lists "Coast Gasoline" as a search result. However, there is nothing at this station to indicate that you are, in fact, at Coast Gasoline. In Waze, this station has been updated to "Menlo Gas", but that still doesn't work. Since both the gas station report and the gas station search feature don't display the brand, you are left wondering if you are reporting for the correct station. The name of this station should be '76', or at the very least, start with '76'.

A much, much, much better solution would be to have the app updated to display the brand - but even if that was something coming "soon", well... you know where that's going ;)

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is especially important for store gas (Costco, Stop & Shop, etc). I have seen a lot of incorrect place updates where drivers are trying to classify the gas station as a grocery store because the station was named "STOP & SHOP #235"

Edit 2: We should also include some guidance for rest areas. In these cases, the name of the station should clearly indicate which station you are at. Something like "I-95 N Service Area" or "Montvale Service Area". This will make sure, when you're on a divided highway and there are two service areas opposite each other, you are reporting for the correct station. It will also help to handle drivers who are in the vicinity of, but not actually at a service area.
pumrum

Re: Gas Station Naming

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 am

+1

Unless we can confirm that, in the very near future, the dedicated Brand field will display in search results and on the update gas prices features, the Name field of a Gas Station place needs to reflect the most prominent identifying signage available at that gas station - typically the brand of gas sold.

Otherwise, the consuming features mentioned above become very confusing to use, ruin the accuracy of the information provided, and ultimately undermine any usefulness these features strive to provide.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby crazycaveman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:26 am

I would like to see this as well. I have gotten a couple of URs requesting this lately, and have started adding the brand if it's not there already. Hopefully, this other thread and page will get set up soon and this can be incorporated in there.
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ARC: South Atlantic Region
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm

I just want to point out that that the current "Gas Station" guidance is a sub-page of the Waze 3.5 page, and the Add a Gas Station guidance is actually a link from the Australia page.

I'm going to start building a generic WME-centric gas station page under my user name, and propose it here in the future.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Assist. Coordinator | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby pumrum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:38 pm

I haven't reviewed the changelog (har har har) - but do you know if the app showed brand in the past and no longer does, or did the app never show brand and we're just starting to make noise about it?

My reason for asking - I'd hate to go and rename all of the gas stations in CT so that the Brand is first in the name, and then find out that in a few weeks 4.0 will be out and will have the brand displayed as well as the name. I don't mind doing work, but man I hate doing rework :D
pumrum

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:54 pm

pumrum wrote:did the app never show brand and we're just starting to make noise about it?

I remember right after the merge, there was a big push (at least in my general vicinity) to rename all gas stations based on the brand, especially if the station had the import name (WOODLAWN SHELL #315, etc...)
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Assist. Coordinator | WME Beta | iOS Beta
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Here's my very rough start on a places/Gas_Stations page:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Nzahn1/Gas_Stations

feel free to criticize.
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby pumrum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:11 pm

A very good start. Thanks for taking this on.

A couple changes I would recommend:

1) Use 'Gas' instead of 'Gasoline' (real estate is limited in app)

2) We should expand on service plazas / rest areas / etc. I've been experimenting with some variation of the following options in CT. The keys are the brand first (as long as brand isn't displayed in the app), what direction the plaza serves, what road you're on, and BREVITY. Real estate very limited! Text that doesn't display will not help the drivers!! This way drivers know that they're definitely using the right station.
a) Mobil I-95 N
b) Mobil I-95 North
c) Mobil I-95 N Service Plaza
d) Mobil I-95 N Plaza

3) There has been discussion about leaving the brand blank vs selecting "Unbranded". I seem to recall that selecting Unbranded has adverse effects on the gas functions, but I can't find anything to back that up. Can anyone provide some info either way?

4) I seem to remember there being something important about the phone number of the station as it relates to gas prices. This could have been hearsay though.

5) Tweak the lock guidance to say something to the effect of "Gas Stations should be locked to a minimum r2 (for the reasons you specify), but preferably r3 or r4 for states that have an AM/SM, and r5 for critical infrastructure stations such as interstate rest stops". Any lock guidance we provide is merely suggestion (unless a national standard is set), but based on my experience in NYC and CT, the higher the better for gas stations. Way too easy, even for experienced editors, to approve a bad change. We've all done it ;)

6) Stop Point - let's include guidance for stop points. I read a post within the last couple days that talked about placing the stop point with preference to right turning traffic - I'll see if I can find that. My preference is, if a gas station is on a corner or accessible from multiple streets, then a simple PLR should be used to connect each entrance and the stop point should be placed at the midpoint of the PLR to avoid any preference for a given entrance (let waze routing choose the best entrance based on where you are coming from)
pumrum

Postby crazycaveman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:10 pm

pumrum wrote:I haven't reviewed the changelog (har har har) - but do you know if the app showed brand in the past and no longer does, or did the app never show brand and we're just starting to make noise about it?

My reason for asking - I'd hate to go and rename all of the gas stations in CT so that the Brand is first in the name, and then find out that in a few weeks 4.0 will be out and will have the brand displayed as well as the name. I don't mind doing work, but man I hate doing rework :D

That's a good point. I just did some testing with 3.7.9.911 and the brand and address are the only things shown. I do remember guidance that if the station didn't have a brand, we should leave the brand blank so the station name (e.g. Mom & Pop Shop) would show in the results.

[ img ]
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ARC: South Atlantic Region
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby pumrum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:15 pm

crazycaveman wrote:That's a good point. I just did some testing with 3.7.9.911 and the brand and address are the only things shown. I do remember guidance that if the station didn't have a brand, we should leave the brand blank so the station name (e.g. Mom & Pop Shop) would show in the results.

And if you switch back up to 3.9 or 3.9.1, do you see "CHERRY ROAD BP" instead of "BP" for that last station?
pumrum

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion