[Page Update] Big Detour Prevention and Road Naming

Moderator: Unholy

[Page Update] Big Detour Prevention and Road Naming

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 pm

I think we need to document the issue discussed here in the wiki.

I propose to add a second note to the Big Detours section stating:

Be careful where route number concurrencies begin and end as the big detour mechanism may be triggered by discontinuity of alternate names. Where an alternate route exits a freeway or highway over ramps at an interchange, if the ramps do not have the same alternate name as the segments entering and leaving the interchange, the big detour prevention mechanism may prevent routes over the ramps.

We could include this example: [ img ]

I would also propose to add a sentence to the Concurrent Names section of the Road Names/USA page. Thus, after "The other route number(s) can be entered as alternate names." I would add:

If alternate names are used, be sure not introduce any alternate name discontinuities which may trigger the big detour prevention mechanism. (Linking to the detour prevention page.)
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: [Page Update] Big Detour Prevention and Road Naming

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:51 am

The Detour Prevention Mechanisms wiki article seems to suggest that going "off" and back "on" a highway/freeway is required for a route to be considered as eligible for Big Detour Prevention. That is, a route that involves no change in road type cannot be considered a detour. Am I understanding correctly?

For example, if a freeway diverges and then rejoins without changing road type, as in the case of a tunnel divided into two bores, does Waze not consider either path a detour because there is no change in road type?

Or, is a potential "detour" automatically identified as part of the Best Continuation evaluation? In other words, is the non-BC route always considered a "detour" for the purposes of Detour Prevention, without any special consideration for road type beyond what's necessary under the Best Continuation analysis?

This question is coming up in the California forum in this thread.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:07 pm

DwarfLord wrote:The Detour Prevention Mechanisms wiki article seems to suggest that going "off" and back "on" a highway/freeway is required for a route to be considered as eligible for Big Detour Prevention. That is, a route that involves no change in road type cannot be considered a detour. Am I understanding correctly?

There has just been a request to waze staff to more fully explain the detour prevention mechanism because we don't have a set of criteria that consistently explains the routing. That said, my understanding is that a change of road type is not necessary. Waze once told us:
Road types: Freeway, Major Highway - it's a detour only if the detour started out of these types, got back to these types, and in the middle the types are different.

Then they changed things and told us:
'in the middle the types are different' - we removed this 'limitation', so now we can detect highway detours that do have one or more segments of type highway (but do not belong to the highway the detour started from and ended in)

DwarfLord wrote:For example, if a freeway diverges and then rejoins without changing road type, as in the case of a tunnel divided into two bores, does Waze not consider either path a detour because there is no change in road type?

I don't think so. Seems that could be a detour.

DwarfLord wrote:Or, is a potential "detour" automatically identified as part of the Best Continuation evaluation? In other words, is the non-BC route always considered a "detour" for the purposes of Detour Prevention, without any special consideration for road type beyond what's necessary under the Best Continuation analysis?
This seems more likely to me.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks. Sounds like detour prevention is something of a moving target at the moment. I hope we'll get some increased certainty at some point...!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby bz2012 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:41 am

Just had an interesting discussion about some ambiguities in the BDP Wiki.

My contention is that, in the section that says
Waze routing will reduce the chances of a detour off a highway/freeway and back on that same highway/freeway when all of the following conditions are met:
All highway/freeway segments including the last one before and the first one after the detour need to have the same (alternative) name. (Don't mix those.); unnamed segments are not considered as having the same name
the detour is more than one segment long, and
the detour is under the threshold length as defined below.

the term 'name' is ambiguous.

In fact, as far as I can tell, there is no single 'name' property.

There are properties 'Country', 'State', 'City', and 'Street'.

There are even 'alternate names' with 'City' and 'Street' properties that can be edited.

There is, however no 'name'.

So, what property are we really concerned with?
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby voludu2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:19 am

A rather lengthy discussion of current BDP behavior, with extensive test notes, can be found here:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=144628

Because there was no global consensus, no change was made to the global wiki page as a result of that discussion. But there is an improved page accepted by USA champs https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Detour_Preve ... anisms/USA

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion