Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
It's not there, and I don't think it's ever been there, but it probably should be.

IME some editors are too "unsplit-happy", probably because the Wiki isn't quite clear enough, or at least isn't firm enough about it. For example, it should be clarified that a road should remain split if any of those criteria are met; i.e., it's an OR list, not an AND list.

Also I know we're pretty far dug in at this point but the term "split" itself bugs me. Nowhere is such a road called this. It's a "divided" road.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Alan, this sentence should (must) be added.

More importantly, this sentence needs to be removed outright: "Generally only freeways or major highways are split into two one-way roads."

I also propose a clarifying change to the language:
From "A road should be split when:"
To "A road should be split when any of the following conditions are met:"
Fredo-p wrote:Alan,

That specific "when to split" scenario isn't in the wiki. Otto brought it up in the Wiki Hangouts.

It's also been asked here.
Sure it is. How to split is not in the Wiki, I believe.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote: 2. More generally, I'd love to see the guidance state more clearly that UNsplit is the default. In other words, splitting a road carries the burden of proof. For old-timers this is so obvious we don't consciously think about it -- I mean, when we put in a random new bit of road, we generally don't start by assuming it should be split and then contemplating reasons why it shouldn't be. But it's not as obvious to new editors. And, making the judgement gets harder as you get to borderline cases if it's not clear which approach has the burden of proof. This shouldn't be a controversial adjustment as long as the list of things requiring splitting is sufficient.
I thought it was already written by this, but I can certainly agree. It currently reads "Split when..." "Unsplit when..." without really defining the middle per se.

The lists can be retained, but changing the text before it should resolve the ambiguity. Something like...

"Generally, a road should be undivided unless it meets any of the requirements for dividing a road."

"A road must be divided if it meets any of the following criteria for a divided road:"

and

"However, a road must be undivided if it is possible and legal to make a left turn at any point along the road."

Something like that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Honestly, particularly short divided portions of a roadway might need to be drawn as divided even more so, because that short divided portion is unusual when compared to the rest of the roadway.

Honestly, and I've said it before, I don't understand why we, who are giving such special attention to all these roads in the first place, should map anything in a way that doesn't reflect reality.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message