More/Better Road "Closure" Guidance for New Construction

Post by dbwiddis
I've debated adding on to this thread or this older thread, or discussing the issue from a WME policy standpoint outside of "update the wiki" context, but at the end of the day I decided to create a new thread here narrowly defining my specific confusion/frustration with the wiki guidelines, specifically a lack of recognition of different types of construction: changing old roads vs. adding new ones.

Use case: there is active construction in an area. As part of this new construction, new roads are being built which have never existed before. They go through the following phases: (1) They don't exist. (2) They are graded dirt roads for construction vehicle access but marked off with "Road Closed" signs to the public. (3) They are paved roads still marked with "Road Closed" signs. (4) They are opened to the public.

Other factors to consider: (1) the number of these such cases is non-trivial. Dozens at a time within a 5-10 mile radius. (2) The date the road opens to the public is uncertain: they are typically associated with private entities (e.g., new home builders) without a set/published completion schedule. They open when they open. Or, if a public new construction project (e.g. a new overpass), the completion date is typically "Summer 2015" rather than a specific construction timetable. Or sometimes there is simply a stub of a road for some unspecified future construction, that's barricaded off.

Road Closures identifies "five methods" to control traffic flow. Option 1 (mega event), 3 (client closures), and 4 (time-of-day scheduled restrictions) don't apply here.

Option #5, disconnecting the roads, states, "Road segments should only be physically disconnected if the road is no longer intended to connect or is being permanently removed. While In the past, this method was used for longer term construction projects, the Road Closure feature should now be used." Other places state disconnection as a "last resort".

So ultimately this page is telling me that option #2, Road Closures, is the only acceptable option.

However, the Road Closure Form (USA) has several fields that are required, but are not really relevant to the use case cited above. Start date and time? The road never existed. So the "start" date and time are irrelevant (or just 'right now'). End date and time? In the use case considered, it's unknown with any reasonable accuracy. We can estimate (e.g., put in July 1, 2015 at 00:00:00 for 'summer 2015') but that may end the closure too early, or possibly be too late.

The Road Closure page has a Weeks, Months, Years section that would seem to be applicable, but it links to Partial Restrictions, whicih don't apply here, or to the Road Construction page which you'd think would apply. But that page simply circularly references back to the Road Closure page with the words "After you close the road" and then talks about naming conventions.

In summary, it appears that the only options to handle new construction roads like this are:

(1) Don't build any roads until they're open. Then try to do it all at once, accurately, on the day it opens. This isn't really a good option for a volunteer editing force that isn't always available (or aware) of the instant roads open. The result is open roads without being on the waze map until someone paves the road.

(2) Build a road in advance and immediately submit a closure request for it, guessing at the end date. Other than option (1) above, this appears to be the only permitted option (according to the Wiki). This will effectively permit routing to work as designed, but it will also clutter the map with a lot of bright red candy-cane stripes and balloons with road closed barriers. One closed road might not be a big deal, but if you're in an area with several of these, having these annoying features on user's small phone screens for months and years seems to violate the "Usability" tenet of waze.

In addition to lots of bright red map-spam for months and years, this method suffers from the following bad side effects when the end date is uncertain:
  • Road segments associated with closures are typically locked at a higher level
  • Road closures automatically disappear when users drive through the closed roads
  • This leaves stray segments on the map locked to a higher level, and as they're the newest roads, they are most likely to need editor attention, resulting in increased workload and editing delays associated with requesting the segment be unlocked.
(3) Build the road in advance and leave it unconnected. The wiki specifically says not to disconnect existing roads unless they're being deleted (the opposite case of new construction), but what if roads were never connected in the first place? Is this not a viable plan? Can/should it be done only with AM/SM/Champ approval? In which case, should that be documented on the Wiki?

(4) Build the road and use simple turn restrictions to discourage waze from routing on it.

(NOTE: This is not listed as a permitted option in the Wiki. This thread is an attempt to open a discussion on whether it should be permitted, with certain caveats on limited circumstances. Or, if it is already permitted in limited circumstances, the wiki should document those instead of throwing every single possible construction scenario into the one-size-fits-all Road Closure candy-cane generator.)

There are some disadvantages to this method, but I believe they are reasonable:
  • Waze can still route through disabled turns, but only if there are not ample other options nearby, which there typically are in the use case I've described. As long as the editor is certain of alternative roads in the near vicinity, this shouldn't be an issue.
  • Editors may not be aware of when a segment opens to the public. But unlike the option (2) result of road closures disappearing and leaving a swath of high-level-locked segments, Waze is smart enough to alert editors that drivers are passing through a turn marked as restricted, prompting them to update their maps.
I apologize if some of this sounds like a rant. And if I'm incorrectly proposing a policy change in a non-policy forum. My intention here is to narrowly focus on the Road Closures wiki shortcomings, specifically:
  • Document acceptable cases for disconnected roads beyond "roads to be permanently removed", even if it includes a caveat that "approval from XYZ is required".
  • Expand the document/link on "construction" to do more than circularly link back to the same page you just left. The wiki is woefully inadequate about talking about new road construction. It only seems to pretend that construction on existing roads exists. If using the Road Closures Form for new road construction with unknown end dates is actually desired, please say so. If there are better ways to build new roads, point to that documentation instead.
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:13187541

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
I created a draft page on this topic before knowing about this discussion, since the discussion happened before I started editing :) I have adapted my page with some of the views considered here. However, when drawing new roads, why disable turns into them if a restriction is used for all vehicles at all times? That seems redundant.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
My draft is live at https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Sc ... igurations. This page only applies to reconfigurations/opening of new construction for which the opening date is announced beforehand
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by dbwiddis
voludu2 wrote:Sounds like your biggest concern is a lack of guidelines for adding new roads that aren't open for driving yet -- it's mostly ignored, which causes some editors are looking for guidance in all the wrong places.
Bingo.

And because it's ignored, the "default" is the only option that hasn't been ruled out by other explicit statements. Back in the days of yore, we "built" new roads with RR tracks. That's obviously not permitted any more.
voludu2 wrote:Sounds like you are saying it is not clear that those guidelines apply ONLY to roads that have been used for traffic in the past and will be used for traffic in the future (and the only reason we don't disconnect them is to preserve the traffic information on the segments and at the junction nodes).
Well, it's not explicitly stated that they apply only to those types of roads. So when you come across a new road, presently just a patch of dirt blocked off by a barrier with a "Road Closed" sign, that page gives the only 5 options, and 4 of them are explicitly ruled out, leaving you with only the "road closure" option by process of elimination. That leads to situations like this screen capture:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A2wW ... -12-14.jpg
The roads causing all this screenspam have never been opened, never been driven on. They are placeholders for some future construction but the land isn't even owned by a developer yet. It's a barren patch of dirt. It will probably be 2 years before there is actually a road there, so that's 2 years of people looking at bright red barriers as they drive by on the nearby freeway.

Bright red is supposed to be for caution, danger, unusual new stuff. Not a stretch of road that nobody's ever driven on, isn't actively being developed, isn't a safety concern. If we do this kind of thing for every patch of dirt that will ever become a road, our screens will be filled with nothing but these bright red barricades.
Can you lend a hand with a suggested small change in wording that would make it clear to confused readers that "road closure" deals with roads that have carried traffic in the past?
Not completely, because that would require knowing what the policy is for new construction roads.

It's insufficient to simply say that these guidelines don't apply to new roads, without at the same time stating what the new road policy is, and I'm way too low of a paygrade to establish that policy.

I do think it would be appropriate to add words to the effect of:
"The road closure system puts bright red markings and icons on a map which, if overused, can detract from the usability of the app, particularly on small screens. It is intended primarily for temporary closures of a fixed duration of roads which have previously carried traffic, and usually associated with a detour. It is not appropriate to use for roads which are being newly constructed and do not represent a change in past driving behavior." Then spell out what SHOULD be done for these new roads (perhaps dirt roads with disabled turns, would be my suggestion...)
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
Thanks all for the comments. Watching this page to see if someone wants me to do more or if I've provided enough.
russblau wrote:In dbwiddis' example, he's talking about roads that haven't even been built, just shown on an official map somewhere. What's the point of mapping these at all?
I should clarify a little bit. In my area there's an interaction between the city/county and private developers in which developers are responsible for their "half" of the road. So anytime a housing development is built and there are planned roads, they get constructed on the edges. Take for example, this setup near me. The | characters represent north/south roads, and there's an east-west road between the rows represented by the underline
A|BC|D
E|FG|H
In an actual intersection near me, lot A has been developed, and lot F has been developed. That means roads in all four directions from the intersection on the left have been built, but the land near CD/GH is dirt/BLM land. There is a paved road between B and F, with the south side (bordering F) having a sidewalk, landscaping, etc., all paid for by F's developer. The north side of the road is still dirt. But it's a road.

Since it's a "road to nowhere" there's a concrete barrier at the AB/EF intersection preventing cars from driving down it. So it's a "closed road". But it's actually a road, with street signs, and all the other trappings of a road. It's frequented by pedestrians (with dogs) and cyclists on the (open) sidewalk. And occasionally authorized vehicles go down it, possibly to maintain the lights or landscaping or nearby city utility station.

These situations are all over the place near me. I can count 3 within a 2 mile radius of my house. They slowly change and morph month by month as new developments are built, but some sit there for years (because of the lot's zoning and other factors related to developer interest in building shops, houses or apartments on it.) A lot of the time the stub roads are left open, but sometimes (particularly when a developer has spent a lot on good landscaping) they block it off to avoid the local high school students turning it into a hangout.
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
Proposed guidelines = PLR with restrictions? Yes. I just want official wording from "on high". We've got a group of very "by the book" editors in my local area and when the book doesn't say, we've got some high running tensions on disagreements. Our city is constantly changing...
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by dbwiddis
voludu2 wrote:Well, looks like you just got some high-level blessing on your idea.
Not quite. Looks like at least 3 different opinions: unconnected segments (sketch), PLR (PesachZ), and "not PLR, maybe Private" (jemay).

However, there's enough context in each reply to explain the reasoning for it, so I'll work up a suggestion allowing for either, depending on the situation, and suggest your local SM/RM should approve the exceptions. I'll post a link here once I get it written up.
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by jemay
I do have a problem with PLR. They are not parking lot roads... they are truly Dirt roads (being built and most like not paved yet) Private might be better, because the construction crew are the only one allowed to drive on it.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by kentsmith9
dbwiddis wrote:
voludu2 wrote:Well, looks like you just got some high-level blessing on your idea.
Not quite. Looks like at least 3 different opinions: unconnected segments (sketch), PLR (PesachZ), and "not PLR, maybe Private" (jemay).

However, there's enough context in each reply to explain the reasoning for it, so I'll work up a suggestion allowing for either, depending on the situation, and suggest your local SM/RM should approve the exceptions. I'll post a link here once I get it written up.
If we follow sketch's proposal, then the road can be designated as it will eventually be used. If it will be a public street, then make it a street. If a freeway, then make it a freeway. Then the only step is to connect the roads when they are available for the public to drive upon.

I would not worry about the construction crew since the routes out of the construction may not always be along the actual road, so they will already know how to get out of that area.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ktkearney
It would be a nice feature for major roads that are in the construction process to show up as dashed segments, as they do no many planing maps. I am aware that this function does not currently exist. In my area, there is a bridge that will be built over the river. As soon as it opens, it will be the last part of a major East-West corridor. There also are a few roads that will act as primary routes - eventually. The route will take them into a completely undeveloped area with no roads at all. If there was a way to show these locations without cluttering the map, and without allowing Waze to route traffic onto them, it surely would be a useful feature. Perhaps it could be in a special layer that could be toggled on or off. I realize that it could potentially slow down the map, but maybe it could be limited for any given area to just a few roads. Of course, these roads would have to be able to become active roads at some point as well. What do you think of the idea?
ktkearney
Send a message