Post by voludu2
That's OK Kent. Many hands make light work.
Can you have a look at
the work going on in the talk page
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Sketch makes a good point - we are going to wind up using split, the MUTCD term for fork in road. In the short term, at a minimum, we need to remind everyone that split should. It be usEd for "cut" and "divide". A disambiguation page will help when someone searches on split, split road, or split segment. The page that covers fork or MUTCD split can explain this definition, and provide a link to the disambiguation page.

For "cut" and "divide", I think this is clear I have just made a change to a portion of the wiki explaining how to cut one segment to create two segments. This recent change can easily be undone if it is not desirable.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
If we are going to have a disambiguation page, I think it is desirable for it to assert the preferred usage. This is not an encyclopedia (whose purpose is to record information about knowledge and usage). It is a user manual style guide. The WME-related pages of the Waze wiki are there to improve the map by letting editors know which practices have proven to be best, and by providing terms that will facilitate good communication.

If we are not going to have a disambiguation page, the this information about the preferred terms can go into the glossary.

Clearly, there is enough support to promote using "cut" and "divide" in the wiki, and we should start making these changes wherever we Find them.

Can we agree to this much?

In the long term the MUTCD term split should probably be accepted here for a fork in the road.
In the short term, if "split" is used, "fork" or "MUTCD split" will have to be used to make clear one of the deprecated usages of split was not meant.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
For my part, wherever I encounter the term split, I am making the change. This includes in section headings. When I change the section heading, I have been leaving behind an anchor, so that links to those sections will still work.
voludu2
Send a message