[TERM CHANGE - ACROSS WIKI] Avoid the word *SPLIT*

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [TERM CHANGE - ACROSS WIKI] Avoid the word *SPLIT*

Postby PesachZ » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:04 pm

voludu2 wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Talk:Split_(disambiguation)

I believe you meant https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Talk:Split_(disambiguation)

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby voludu2 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 am

ALL OPPOSED: thumbs up to this post, and please explain why below.

(all in favor, please thank the first post in this thread).

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm

As you said it is not a traditional DAB page, but I think it is very effective in carrying out our goal. The only other choice would be to put this very good content into the glossary and redirect "split" to that page with these links.

Then on the DAB page we would still have the links, but use the traditional DAB formatting.

The reason I am pushing for keeping the DAB formatting consistent is to prevent DAB pages from getting out of control and having them look inconsistent. This is something held very strictly in the Wikipedia editing world and I think for good reason.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:55 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:As you said it is not a traditional DAB page, but I think it is very effective in carrying out our goal. The only other choice would be to put this very good content into the glossary and redirect "split" to that page with these links.

Then on the DAB page we would still have the links, but use the traditional DAB formatting.

The reason I am pushing for keeping the DAB formatting consistent is to prevent DAB pages from getting out of control and having them look inconsistent. This is something held very strictly in the Wikipedia editing world and I think for good reason.

However if we move all this text to the glossary, and make [[split]] redirect to the glossary. We no longer need a DAB at all. I'm opposed to having any page use the split terminology without explicitly saying it's use is deco deprecated, and resending the preferred terminology.

I don't mind using the glossary instead, but as replacement, not as a means to have a standard dab here.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby voludu2 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:49 pm

So far, we seem to be unanimous. So if we give it the weekend for everyone to check into the forum, maybe we will find out on Monday that this change to the wiki seems workable, and we'll all start understanding each other better real soon now.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:14 pm

PesachZ wrote:However if we move all this text to the glossary, and make [[split]] redirect to the glossary. We no longer need a DAB at all. I'm opposed to having any page use the split terminology without explicitly saying it's use is deco deprecated, and resending the preferred terminology.

I don't mind using the glossary instead, but as replacement, not as a means to have a standard dab here.

We (two) are in agreement the glossary can keep this great content. It will be the redirect for [[Split]].

My proposal for having [[Split (disambiguation)]] is to have a place that is consistent with other DAB pages for similar terms that are used with too many meanings. The only difference from other DAB pages is we want to "strike" the term Split from the Wiki due to the confusion. I am OK to keep the DAB with the addition of the comment at the top that the term is now deprecated.

Having a DAB page does not prevent the Glossary from being the primary point to lead people to the correct place, but I don't understand why having a separate traditional DAB format page is a problem? It is still searchable if you don't simply accept the Split redirect to the Glossary.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:46 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:However if we move all this text to the glossary, and make [[split]] redirect to the glossary. We no longer need a DAB at all. I'm opposed to having any page use the split terminology without explicitly saying it's use is deco deprecated, and resending the preferred terminology.

We (two) are in agreement the glossary can keep this great content. It will be the redirect for [[Split]].

My proposal for having [[Split (disambiguation)]] is to have a place that is consistent with other DAB pages for similar terms that are used with too many meanings. The only difference from other DAB pages is we want to "strike" the term Split from the Wiki due to the confusion. I am OK to keep the DAB with the addition of the comment at the top that the term is now deprecated.

Having a DAB page does not prevent the Glossary from being the primary point to lead people to the correct place, but I don't understand why having a separate traditional DAB format page is a problem? It is still searchable if you don't simply accept the Split redirect to the Glossary.

If all the information currently in dab talk page. Is moved to the glossary with a redirect. What additional gain is there from having a dab page at all?

What would the dab page look like?
Can you quote what the dab would contain? I'm not sure I follow the purpose of duplicating the same information in two pages.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:54 pm

The glossary is a detailed description of what the terms mean. The consistent DAB page is very brief. If you search the Wiki for Disambiguation pages, you will not find the glossary. Keeping the simple version of the DAB will enable those searches to include Split which is still a common term people will "search for." While the Glossary will be the point most people will first come, the DAB will permit tracking the disambiguation.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:42 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:The glossary is a detailed description of what the terms mean. The consistent DAB page is very brief. If you search the Wiki for Disambiguation pages, you will not find the glossary. Keeping the simple version of the DAB will enable those searches to include Split which is still a common term people will "search for." While the Glossary will be the point most people will first come, the DAB will permit tracking the disambiguation.

Would you mind providing an example of what the dab will look like with the deprecated notice?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:01 am

Split DAB with Deprecation note

I think we can consider pulling out the split terms at the front of each entry and only show the remainder of each line. The classic DAB uses only a single line for each entry with only one link per line.

It will be similar to the Glossary entry, but much more condensed in the classic DB style.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion