[Page Update] Update requests

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Update requests

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Looks like txemt added the long-winded Long-winded part. And he neglected to keep the "Note" about notification of closing your own UR was left in the wrong place.

I think the whole long-winded part should be removed and left with guidance about being brief, to the point, but not necessarily blunt and seemingly rude.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:07 pm

I think your OP was accurate. Seems like this is an area that very much calls for guidance rather than rules. So I'm in agreement that such a discussion is better suited in the discussion of etiquette rather than the mechanics.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:39 am

I think this change @voludu2 suggested above clarifies the text without, changing the original intent. I support it.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

[Page Update] Update requests

Postby qwaletee » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:07 am

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Update_requests

This page will need some technical revamping because of the UI change, especially since there are now a few gotchas that may result in unwanted behavior (closing UR unexpectedly).

There is also a long section on long-winded responses that I don't believe was ever vetted in the forums. We should make sure there's consensus that the idea is correct, and also that the execution presentation is what we want. It probably is also in the wrong section - it relates to etiquette, but is in the mechanics.

Note: I really don't want a flame war to start. I know there have been a number of past arguments about minimalism versus completeness, and which is likely t elicit any response/the correct response from the reporter. Be respectful, state your opinion, and kumbaya please.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 pm

Nobody interested?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks for the input. So something along the lines of:

* remove that section
* add a shortish style section to etiquette
* have it describe the issues of many reporters being unlikely to read long comments, and the balance of being engaging vs. being to the point
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby voludu2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Sorry I missed this.
I agree.
It's about increasing the probability of getting a useful response while keeping the experience fun.

I have never read that section through thoroughly, so it is actually a really good example of what not to do (tl;dr). So it is often in my mind when I am tempted to give a lot of details the reporter might not care about. So I think it has been strangely effective -- at least for me.

That said, I would go for a slightly different tone. txemt is not wrong. If the reporter asks "don't you already know my destination from the report?" we can give that information then.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I just got a comment that the phrase "wake them up" is confusing.

I would like to make the following change:
from
Once you add a comment or question to an Update Request that requires a response from the Reporter, it is recommended that you wait at least seven (7) days for a response. If there is no response, then you will need to decide how to handle the Update Request as best you can from the data available. (This situation is no different than before Conversations existed.)
This may mean you have to close the report as Not Identified. In that case the Wazer who submitted the Map Issue will be notified via email when their Update Request is closed. They can still try to contact you through a private message if they do have more information.
When you come across an Update Request that has an on-going conversation, do not close that UR unless you were separately asked by either the Reporter or other Editors via email or private message that it is OK to do so.
If the Update Request conversation has no updates for at least seven (7) days, and the last message was from an Editor, you may try to solve the request and mark it appropriately. If the last message was from the Reporter, add a note so that the original Editor receives another message, which should "wake them up" and complete working on the UR. If another seven days goes by with no action, you are free to solve/close the UR as appropriate.

to
If you need a response from the reporter, use the Conversation feature and wait seven (7) days for a response. If there is no response, use the available information (from the Update Request, Street View, internet searches) to decide how to close the Update Request. This might mean closing the report "Not identified", which will result in an email sent to the reporter. They can try to contact you via PM, but will not be able to respond via the mobile app inbox.

When you come across an Update Request that has an active conversation, do not close that UR unless you find out from the Reporter or the other Editor(s) that it is OK to do so.

If the Update Request conversation has no updates for at least seven (7) days, and the last message was from an Editor, you may try to solve the request and close it appropriately. If the last message
was from the Reporter, respond to the Reporter. The original Editor will also receive a message -- a reminder to continue working on the UR. If another seven days goes by with no action, you may solve or close the UR as appropriate.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion