Welcome!

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Welcome!

Postby deeploz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks Karen for this appealing program !

The good news is that, if you check the tabs at the top of the local french wiki, we are perfectly on the same page, as your main workstreams match exactly the way we've decided to organize the content ;)

Ready for the next steps !
deeploz
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby PesachZ » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 pm

This sounds like a great idea, I'd love to join. We already have a great group of USA based editors actively working on updating the wiki, it's great to have support and cooperation from the inside. Thanks for reaching out, we look forward to this new opportunity.

@Karen, Will this new Wiki Masters Group be merged with the existing Wiki Experts group, or be entirely different?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby WonderLerm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:45 pm

PesachZ wrote:This sounds like a great idea, I'd love to join. We already have a great group of USA based editors actively working on updating the wiki, it's great to have support and cooperation from the inside. Thanks for reaching out, we look forward to this new opportunity.

@Karen, Will this new Wiki Masters Group be merged with the existing Wiki Experts group, or be entirely different?

Hey PesachZ,

Yes, we would like to have all those who are currently in the Wiki Expert group migrate over to the Wiki Masters group.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!
-Karen
WonderLerm
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby WonderLerm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:41 pm

deeploz wrote:Thanks Karen for this appealing program !

The good news is that, if you check the tabs at the top of the local french wiki, we are perfectly on the same page, as your main workstreams match exactly the way we've decided to organize the content ;)

Ready for the next steps !

Yup! I see what you guys did and it looks great! Look forward to you sharing your knowledge for the home page :P
WonderLerm
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby voludu2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:21 pm

The French wiki has a very nice portal page to organize the work.

Here is the interesting thing: We have people working in several different countries, recreating the same information in several different languages.

This is difficult, as it can be difficult to get definitive and precise information from the wiki team, so in order to get useful information requires time-consuming time-consuming rounds of questioning and testing.

Also, developing the best practices and how-to guides requires a lot of work.

We could be sharing this information about best ways to represent private installations which contain other more-private installations. Allowing/avoiding u-turns on divided roads. Ways to represent intersections to avoid nonsensical instructions like 3-left-turns inside the "box" to avoid a right turn.

We are not working together to share results of testing, innovative use of segments, and best practices internationally. Working together on a wiki team could be one step toward more sharing of information around the world -- thus saving each of us work in the end.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby PesachZ » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:39 pm

voludu2 wrote:The French wiki has a very nice portal page to organize the work.

Here is the interesting thing: We have people working in several different countries, recreating the same information in several different languages.

This is difficult, as it can be difficult to get definitive and precise information from the wiki team, so in order to get useful information requires time-consuming time-consuming rounds of questioning and testing.

Also, developing the best practices and how-to guides requires a lot of work.

We could be sharing this information about best ways to represent private installations which contain other more-private installations. Allowing/avoiding u-turns on divided roads. Ways to represent intersections to avoid nonsensical instructions like 3-left-turns inside the "box" to avoid a right turn.

We are not working together to share results of testing, innovative use of segments, and best practices internationally. Working together on a wiki team could be one step toward more sharing of information around the world -- thus saving each of us work in the end.

All of the information you mentioned has been posted about at length on the global wiki update forum, unfortunately there has been little cooperation lately from those outside North America (at least in these threads). There was some collaboration from Malaysia when I did all the testing on the changes to the best continuation algorithm.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby deeploz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:26 pm

I want to be honest:

Guys, you in North America, have performed and continue to perform a tremendous work with the wiki, by testing and questionning and modelizing every concepts/tools/features that have been developed by Waze and put in our hands.

I don't want to talk on behalf of other countries, but in France, we fully rely on your job. We do not test or modelize anything. We just take your outcome and, as french users are well-known to be poor english speaker/reader, we just translate your content in French to avoid potential misunderstood concept (due to an ineffective translation) which lead to personal (mis) interpretation, which lead to discrepancies in the map editing consistancy.

because a lot of people have tried, on their side, to translate this or that article, often without achieving the job, after 4 years, the french wiki was a mess staggering between a museum of obsolete content and a proliferation of same-subject articles, all saying something different (according to each translator english skills and their free interpretation based on their own experience, or inexperience of waze map edition)

So, about the job done on the french wiki, it is a pure cosmetic revamping + content organisation/structure redesign, in order to rationnalize all this stuff. But the content is basically yours. Sometimes, few adaptations are performed to apply to the french context and/or driving rules. The snapshot are re-shot with french samples, but overall, we do not perform our own tests.

But this should change, indeed ;)
deeploz
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:35 pm

I agree the language barrier is a big obstacle to international cooperation.

I have two ideas that can help:
1) Translators can ask questions of the authors and editors of source documents.
2) Source documents should be more simple and more easy to understand.

If translators ask questions of authors of source documents, this can even improve the source documents and make them easier to understand.

[ img ]
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby Nomenclator1677 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:18 pm

voludu2 wrote:I agree the language barrier is a big obstacle to international cooperation...

Not only. We don't have, in France, a long tradition of being normalized!

For a long time, we perform what can be name as empirical organizationalism

Maurice Blondel wrote:...By empirical organizationalism (empirism organisateur), he means the hegemony of empirical rigor and systematization in such a manner that the verified facts determined the requisite values.

Source : Adam C. English - The possibility of christian philosophy : Maurice Blondel at the intersection of theology and philosphy, Routledge, 2007
AM Massif des Bauges / Bout du Lac d'Annecy
[ img ]
Le monde est dangereux à vivre ! Non pas tant à cause de ceux qui font le mal, mais à cause de ceux qui regardent et laissent faire. – Albert Einstein
Nomenclator1677
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:54 pm

If you show me your verified facts, I will show you my verified facts.

And I will call this cooperation.

[ img ]
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion