New Glossary concept and format

Moderator: Unholy

Would you like to see this revised Glossary be adopted for the Waze Wiki?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Yes
94%
No
3%
Will comment first (votes can be changed)
3%

Total votes : 34

New Glossary concept and format

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:00 pm

GizmoGuy411 wrote:The new Glossary is release! Please read more here:
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1099935

I have been working on a new format and concept for the glossary since last summer, and additional content for over a year.

A demo of this has been shared with a few Wazers, including a number of Champs. kentsmith9 reviewed, and gave his blessing to the initial content last year and to the revised format a couple months ago.

The revised format uses a sort-able table with an Abbreviation or Acronym, a Description, a Revision Date, and most importantly a Term column for each entry row.

A Table of Contents remains for direct alphabetic linking to the Terms.

One use for the addition of the Revision Date will be to easily allow non Wiki savvy users to view the latest entries and changes without referring to the Wiki history.

Part of this new concept is to allow the inclusion of all the abbreviations, acronyms and initialisms, that we inevitably, naturally and regularly use in all the Waze related communication mediums. The inclusion of these will greatly help new and old users reference everything in one location. Our use of these is a major problem for new users. One link to this revised glossary would help solve some the alienation and confusion we unintentionally cause.

To facilitate the maintenance of the glossary, and to avoid duplication of content, the other facet of this concept is to reduce the Description content to a minimum whenever possible and especially if other resource pages exist within the Wiki or external resources. This could also include an increased use of the Wiki disambiguation pages.

Note that in the current Demo, the entries do not yet all follow the proposed "Description" format rules. All links should be defined as to what type of resource they link to, whether it be an internal Article or Section, the forum, a spreadsheet, or some other external web link. Links should also indicate if they are "See....." or "Also see..." in nature. This method is very inconsistent in the existing Glossary and work will be needed to make the transition.

Note that this is VERY English language centric. Other non-English speaking Wazers may want to create their own such glossaries that would link to their own language pages. However, this glossary would still be a very useful tool for them in their communications in the many English speaking communication mediums.

The request for your vote here will be shared with the newly formed Waze Wiki Masters to make the final decision for its adoption.

When viewing the Demo, please login to the Wiki to insure you are viewing the latest revision of the page. Please do not edit the Demo.

Link:
Glossary Replacement Demo

(This is a new demo page with location moved to PesachZ's user space using is tempate code.)

Technical considerations:
The following is the Wiki markup format for an entry:
Code: Select all
<!-----------------------BEGINNING OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR----------------------->
|- valign="top"
| (glossary term)
| (abbr.)
| (description)<br />THIS IS A TEMPLATE ROW <br /> Copy only. Do not edit or delete.
|<small><small> (date) </small></small>
<!--------------------------END OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR-------------------------->

This is how an actual entry would look in the Wiki editor:
Code: Select all
<!-----------------------BEGINNING OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR----------------------->
|- valign="top"
|{{Anchor|WME Color Highlights}}WME Color Highlights
|WMECH or CH
|A browser extension script for WME.

See the [Community_Plugins,_Extensions_and_Tools|Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools] Wiki page for more info.
|<small><small> (date) </small></small>
<!-------------------------END OF ENTRY, SEPARATOR BAR-------------------------->
Last edited by GizmoGuy411 on Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Added second Glossary code
[ img ]

U.S. based Emeritus Global Champ
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL & iPad "3"
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: New Glossary concept and format

Postby qwaletee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Gizmo. I'm glad you didn't wait for me to do this when I was out.

I like it, but I only concern is that it is harder to edit. There is no longer an edit link that allows the user to bring up just one entry. When you edit the whole page, there is a large amount of data to scroll through, everything has to follow a very precise format that requires technical knowledge of the wiki table format, and is quite fragile - table erros are too east in wiki markup, and they can seriously break your table.

I was thinking, perhaps there is some way we could create a glossary page space, so tat each entry could be a separate page, which would allow us to link each entry on its own, and a template to ease data entry. If the template detects an error in parameters, it could output something taht won't break the table but still shows some indication of the problem.

We would have to come up with some way of getting all the subpages to appear in the combined glossary; that may be possible if we could get the sysops to implement something called Lua.

If we can get all this done, then we gain the advantages of the new format without losing too much of the editing simplicity of the existing page.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:41 pm

We could also use a template to gernerate the table code for each entry, similar to the {{AM/Editor}} template.
It still doesn't give us edit links per item. If we don't get lua another method might be to include an edit link in each item in the table, and host the items on a separate page using a transclusion to bring them all into the table.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Great work here. I think the new format is great with the ability to use the index to get to the content. I like the index still being available when sorted by first column.

I see the anchors work great in the table. We just need to create an anchor for each entry.

PesachZ's template would be good to simplify the formatting. Not sure we need a whole edit per line setup, but if someone wants to build that it is certainly doable. Probably just make the transclusions from subpages of the glossary to keep everything together.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Great work here. I think the new format is great with the ability to use the index to get to the content. I like the index still being available when sorted by first column.

I see the anchors work great in the table. We just need to create an anchor for each entry.

PesachZ's template would be good to simplify the formatting. Not sure we need a whole edit per line setup, but if someone wants to build that it is certainly doable. Probably just make the transclusions from subpages of the glossary to keep everything together.

My template is just a modified copy of yours, don't shy away from credit, I wouldn't want to take credit for your work

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm

If you want me to try, I can attempt a transcludable template which can be used per entry, and include an edit link.

Taken a step further, we could have a template link to create new entry subpages preformatted with a blank entry template, so its easier for newer editors to add items

Edit if we forgo the edit link given the increased simplicity of using a template (like area manger tables) then the template could be just inserted directly in the table.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:24 pm

PesachZ wrote:If you want me to try, I can attempt a transcludable template which can be used per entry, and include an edit link.

Taken a step further, we could have a template link to create new entry subpages preformatted with a blank entry template, so its easier for newer editors to add items

If you have the time and want to try, I think it would have benefit for users with less wiki ability.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:48 pm

I think this is a good idea.
It is hard to edit one item at a time
Use of a template instead of the confusing-looking wikitable formatting might help.

Another option, if we really want to go that far, is to get the semantic mediawiki extension.
Then, a page like this would automagically be generated from INDIVIDUAL GLOSSARY ENTRIES, each on its own individual page -- you just give each one the "glossary" category, and set a page to make the magic happen.
This turns out to make it much easier to maintain the individual glossary entries.
It is still confusing for the people doing the work, because there is nothing to click on.
they have to go the the category (for which we can provide a helpful link on the page) and click on the item they want from the list.

I will try to find a good example of that in action.
I have worked with this before; it works beautifully.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... ry/Example
Last edited by voludu2 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby bummerdude69 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:51 pm

For those of us who need it, here's the link to (what I hope is) the current Glossary. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Glossary

I like the format of the old one, seems clearer and easier to find the subject I'm looking for. I don't know if it's doable, but have the subject big and bold with the other columns underneath it, would also open up more screen width.

Could all the disambiguous pages link that glossary instead of pages of their own?
bummerdude69
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby voludu2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:27 pm

The semantic mediawiki, by the way, offers reformatting of the glossary page without requiring any editing of the glossary entries at all.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion