Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by DwarfLord
As the author of the Parking Lot article I'm naturally happy that many people find it provides useful guidance, consistent with best practices and with Waze's new parking "balloon" marker (even though it was written before that feature came to the app!).

However, the fact remains that this positive reaction is not unanimous. As a result this is a dead article as long as it remains in the global wiki.

The article needs updating to incorporate new perspectives that have evolved with the availability of the Parking-Lot Point Place and the arrival of the app's marker ballon. But it would be counterproductive to attempt those updates when a number of global moderators feel that none of this should be in the global wiki in the first place. It makes sense to remove it from the global wiki.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
kentsmith9 wrote:I propose that we move the process along by officially separating the US-centric pages from the Global pages. I presume we will do this with a "copy" of the original page to a US-specific subpage for now until the new Wiki servers are established.
I agree wholeheartedly with this analysis and proposal!

Logistically, it may make most sense to "move" all indicated pages to US subpages, along with their full edit history, and then "copy" them back to brand new global pages without any edit history?

Like the pages themselves, much of their edit history will be US-centric, so it makes sense to keep the edit history with the US version of the page. This will also make it easier to redact any changes made to US-centric pages to make them more global.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
The Global Places wiki article currently encourages interior photographs, including restaurant menus, interior décor, and so forth. At least, it encourages them in one section, and does not strongly discourage them anywhere else.

My understanding is that the global Waze community expects all photographs to be of the outside. This is because Waze offers a photograph when navigating to a Place, and inside photographs do not help.

So, I would like to offer new wiki language to clarify that inside photographs are not acceptable.

Before I put any work into it, I would like to check with the international community. Are there countries where inside photographs are acceptable and encouraged?

I brought this up a month ago in the [Wazeopedia] Places thread but have received only one response, from a US editor. As this is a global page it is critical to have global feedback before continuing.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Is the team proposing we write something completely different to take the current page's place, or just copy the current version and cut it down to the elements that are truly universal? Maybe it covers more of the theory of the feature rather than the implementation and then suggest reading the local wiki for more information.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am good with this process.

Do we have a list of pages that started as more US-centric that need to be "cleansed" to be more global? If so we should move a copy to a US subpage and update the current US references to the new page.

Or is there some other process planned that I missed?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Timbones wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Do we have a list of pages that started as more US-centric that need to be "cleansed" to be more global?
The first page of this thread has a few pages that have been identified as needing to be generalised.
Unless I am mistaken, that category list contains all pages which were selected for Global use. My question was a little different, but maybe every one of those pages were US-centric and I didn't realize it.

The effort to create the global wiki has somewhat crippled many of the US-centric pages by preventing the US community from continuing to maintain the pages. I propose that we move the process along by officially separating the US-centric pages from the Global pages. I presume we will do this with a "copy" of the original page to a US-specific subpage for now until the new Wiki servers are established. That way the US-centric pages can continue to be maintained based on US-centric input.

If this process is already defined or in another thread, I could not find it.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DwarfLord wrote:Logistically, it may make most sense to "move" all indicated pages to US subpages, along with their full edit history, and then "copy" them back to brand new global pages without any edit history?

Like the pages themselves, much of their edit history will be US-centric, so it makes sense to keep the edit history with the US version of the page. This will also make it easier to redact any changes made to US-centric pages to make them more global.
Since I know of no other way to duplicate a page and its history, I would agree the US page should keep the history.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Great list Tim. Short term we need to decide how to handle the naming on the pages that are already USA subpages. Maybe before we get the data ported to the global Wiki we can just create an alternate subpage like "Road Types/Global" and copy the current USA content to that page and then globalize it.

For the other pages without a subpage, we will move the current to a subpage with /USA and then copy that content to the base page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
PesachZ wrote:I would like to see it moved to USA content, and then if someone would be so kind to draft a gloabbly approved page of parking lots, that would be great too. But we shouldn't require the new page before dealing with the existing page.
Why not just copy the current page as is already frozen for global prep and leave that for the global page, then move the current USA page to USA subpage. No approvals required in my mind. Did I miss something?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Timbones wrote:Here are the pages that I feel are too US-centric and need to be generalised:
(Please read my posts near beginning of this thread for commentary)

- Abbreviations and acronyms
- Landmarks by Type (US)
- Road Types/USA
- Road Names/USA
- Roundabouts/USA
- Rest areas
- Cameras
- Places/Car Parks

Obviously, some of these are already "owned" by USA, but are lacking an equivalent generic page for the whole world.
Did something change since this list was posted?

According to the global tracking sheet, the Road types/USA and Road Names/USA pages are included as global pages, however they are not marked with a Wazopedia template giving no indication they should not be directly edited as needed. I didn't check the others yet.

If the global pages are still planned to be branched based off these two already identified US-centric pages, I propose once the Wazopedia server is set up it will just copy the current US-centric page and make whatever adjustments are needed at that time.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message